FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBuying in bulk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying in bulk
    Posted: 12 October 2010 at 3:22pm
For those of you who buy in bulk, how do you store things?  The kinds of things I use a lot of (that are not canned already) are rice, flour and sugar and I'd love to buy them in bulk but wasn't confidant about storing them.
Sponsored Links

MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 8:24pm
It's expensive, but I highly recommend tupperware. I used to sell it, and it really does work to keep things fresh for longer, seriously. i didnt want to sell it if i didnt think it worked, so tried it out and found it to be great! my whole baking shelf is tupperware and heaps of stuff in my fridge if you sell it you get it at a really good discount
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 10:07pm
I suppose it depends on what you mean by bulk. Do you mean 3kg flour instead if 1kg? Or are you talking BULK bulk like 30kg of flour?
Try looking at Babe's blog (http://simplehomekeeping.blogspot.com/) as she covers bulk buying and storage
Lindsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 8:22am
I guess I'm not really sure Lindsey.  I'm thinking probably closer to the 30kg rather than 3kg.  Thanks for reminding me about the blog.  I'll have a look and see what she recommends.  I'd love to get a chest freezer too at some point so that I can really do the whole freezing excess veges or those in season. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 11:54am
Where in NZ are you? I would be interested to find out where you intend buying from. I started looking into buying from wholesalers but alot of their prices were more expensive that PnS!! I need to look further into it but for now I am sticking to my monthly PnS shop
Lindsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 1:51pm
In Wellington.  Do PnS do sacks of rice etc?  It's been a while since I've been.  I think Moore Wilsons here is an option though I haven't investigated prices yet.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 5:23pm
Be careful and research prices, it's good now that supermarkets put the price comparison on their lables. it's sometimes cheaper to buy in smaller qty's than bigger ones. Ie flour, I buy it in 1.5kg rather than the 5kg bag.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 6:54pm
Hmmmm...glad I asked about this now as I have just always assumed that bulk buying would be cheaper.  I will do a bit of investigation now rather than just buying the bigger lots.  Thanks guys!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:09pm
Use google too if you wanna buy in bulk. I got baking soda from a gardening supply shop of all places! which I found using google

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by happymumma happymumma wrote:

Hmmmm...glad I asked about this now as I have just always assumed that bulk buying would be cheaper.  I will do a bit of investigation now rather than just buying the bigger lots.  Thanks guys!

I thought so too but so far my investigations have shown that wholesale can be more expensive. Part of that is because the wholesaler I have looked at only has 'label' products for some items e.g they only have Weetbix which is heaps dearer that the Pams one at PnS
Lindsey

Post Reply Post Reply