FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow do you manage on one income

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2010 at 6:31pm
DH just got a pay rise & we got a letter saying our WFF will reassess (2 weeks later)...at least this time they are only saying he earns $7k more than he does hopefully we will get a nice amount back next yr, but we should not owe.

I am counting down to Jan as we stop paying child support then so we will have more $$ & WFF will go down again so these couple of drops this yr is getting me ready for it.....

In one hand & out the other....
Sponsored Links

nicandtyler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicandtyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 1:35pm
Sorry I abandoned my post! UGGHHH I HATE ird with a passion - I just got a letter yesterday saying that I was to pay $613.15 by Feb 2011?!! I havent heard ANYTHING of this before now so I called them today and apparently they had worked out DP income wrong from when T was born (Nov 09) till end of tax year in march, and they had overpaid me, so they messed up and now they're trying to make me pay it back? With interest!! I had a go at them this morning, and the lady says "well, you have till Feb 2011"....... and could I afford to pay $10 a week - um no I cant I cant even afford to top up my phone! grrr seriously why do they think I came to them for help in the first place? If I had that kind of money sitting around I wouldnt be asking for financial help! Sorry for the long rambling angry post, it annoys me soooo much that there are people out their getting hundreds of dollars a week to sit at home and spend the governments money on drinking and smoking, but a mother trying to go to uni gets nothing, oh no wait, they give me $13 a week

April '11
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 1:42pm
It sucks aye!! I have a large amount to pay back to IRD by Feb 2011 as well. We very genuinely needed all of the extra help we could get at the beginning of the 2009 financial year and we received $63 which went down to $41 a week from IRD before I went back to work and then stopped payments. DF got a massive promotion during the year which saw us go over the annual threshhold and our estimation of his earnings for that year - hence we have to pay everything back now.... It would be much better of they could change the structure of WFF in some way so that you can get the help when you need it and not get stung for it later.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 2:15pm
grrrr I am jumping on the band wagon here F'n WFF.... Just got a letter to say DH earns 15k more....so have worked it out & yes his pay has gone up, to what they have it at before this letter but he will earn $6k more than his salary....but not as much as they now say. They said to ring them back with the figures & take it from there after I lost it on the ph at them grrrr

They told me they worked it out on what he earned in October which is just great as he got his back pay & got a about 2k more.

I am going to try & get them to do it as what he will earn & reassessed in January as we should have our child support payments stopped then so WFF will drop again.

When I checked on there website it shows a loss of about 1/5th but they are telling me we will lose 4/5th so we would be worse of with his pay increase...what's the point & it WFF what we are entitled...they set the criteria not me grrrrr
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 3:32pm
Oooooo I had this too- BUT we managed to get off it!!!

DF got a tax bill of over a grand for last year. I rung up and said we needed financial assiatance and they put me through to someone- they asked me about everything we spent money on- but I didnt have the right figures so they said we had 'excess money' and had to pay it back.

So I wrote down what things they wanted amounts for, did a real calculation, based on potentially what we could realistically spend in a year and rung them back- turns out we didnt have 'excess money' and it got written off.

The list I had is- you can add more as is relivant to you

Rent, Phone, Power, Internet, HP's, Insurances, Car rego, warrants and servicing, clothes for you, partner and kids, food, medical expenses, sky tv, dentist. Thats all I can think of, but anything that you regularly pay- ooo rates and water- factor it all in.

Basically work out what you would spend in a year- eg I put $500 of clothing each for DF, DD and me (considering DF works in the bush, and DD has just been born) that is a really realistic number. Then divide it all by 52 (weeks in a year), and see if you are spending over your income.

Then ring them back and say "well here is our numbers........ they dont stack up...... so you aint getting any money. Lol Oh we wernt getting WFF at that stage, but I dont think it would affect it. We are getting ours at the end of the year as a lump sum. GOOD LUCK

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicandtyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 8:46am
hmm seems like a few of us have had problems with them I called them and said I couldnt afford it, so she said she will talk to the people in charge of writing the amount off and they will call me back - this was on monday and i still havent heard back! Soo frustrating! Aethalia ill write a list like you've done and fingers crossed they'll let me off, there's no way I can afford $600!!!

April '11
Bee2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bee2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 6:03pm
The system is pretty in New Zealand u get nearly nothing if ur working and earning too much to get something.
In Germany u get Child Support from the Goverment til ur child is 18 years old and its the same amount every month for everyone and doesnt matter how much u earn. But thats a different story.

We had the letter too which told us our estimated income for 2011 will be higher then last year, yeah right. I called them and said we never gonna earn more then last year and he stopped it just said if something changes to give them a ring.
They calculated on the first 6 month which is Kiwifruit Season and yes he earns more but til March next year his income sux and they wanted to cut our WFF even more.

If u feel what they say is not right give them a ring.

Angel Babe in our - 07/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicandtyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 8:42am
Yep it definately seems like NZ is not that great with supporting families I called them and said there was no way I could afford it and I just got a letter the other day saying that they were gonna wipe the amount I owed and would take no further action to collect it from me, phew! Was definitely worried there for a bit!

April '11
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 11:04am
Yay well done :) Make sure you keep the letter! lol. All my family was super surprised when we got out of our bill, they wanted to know what we did, but it only works if you really have no money! lol.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 7:34am
Well WFF has gone up & down again so now we hardly get anything & am worse off with DH's pay rise than before grrr.

There is no point for me getting a job till DS3 is at school next yr.

When we stop paying for CS we will probably lose WFF but then at least we won't have to worry about them cutting it all the time...but I have been told the age is 19 & he is going to be 18 in 3 weeks so if he does not go on the UB then we keep paying grrr
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 9:01am
aethalia i find it wierd they would wipe a tax bill when they give you a years notice and the bills you have listed include luxury items. i hope you got it in writing.

i over estimate my husbands income after we got stung one year with a big bill for WFF over payment. I think that WFF though is the only thing that takes into consideration any child support you pay, thankfully!
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

aethalia i find it wierd they would wipe a tax bill when they give you a years notice and the bills you have listed include luxury items. i hope you got it in writing.

i over estimate my husbands income after we got stung one year with a big bill for WFF over payment. I think that WFF though is the only thing that takes into consideration any child support you pay, thankfully!

You won't need a letter saying it is wiped just get a login so you can check on line, best service ever.

Same thing happened to a friend they owed $1200 & rang to try & work out a payment plan so they sent them a form where they had to write down all they paid & then they had the amount wiped...so it is easy to do & maybe that is why they keep adjusting it monthly. Someone else I know owes $5k & have had there amount dropped & have to pay it back.

At the start WFF was nearly as much as the CS we paid but now it is about a quarter & if he does not go an a benefit or get a job we will be really struggling for the next yr as WFF will either stop or nowhere near help out.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 3:35pm
The bill was for the 2008 year, I had no idea about it until I got authority over my partners account and they said he had this tax bill from his company. They sent me a letter to say that they are wiping it, its somewhere amongst all our packing. They were the ones that asked me for those things, so I just thought up everything that we actually use like food, clothing and cars.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 3:43pm
I have just changed power companies, not going to save much but they have fly buys & 12% discount if bill is paid on time via internet banking. Also have locked into a price plan for just over a yr so will not get any price hikes on power rates.

We have just been advise that we no longer have to pay child support so will get a few hundred $ extra a fortnight. So now they are going to refund us the over paid amonuts.
Our WFF goes down more & we are still entitled to it so we will be better off & after struggling for a few yrs we finally will be able to do the things we want. I want to put the kids into more activities, & have money for emergences.

I am going to change the auto payments to monthly instead of fortnightly so they are paid well in advance, & want to over pay a bit.

We are also going to look at where we can cut costs.
I have been cooking/baking heaps from scratch.

We are going to down size a car & DH is getting a scooter for work. I am going to walk to school/kindy, it will be a lot of walking but it is free exercise & will cut the cost of running the car down. The main reason for this is so we can update the car at end of yr or next yr paying cash & it will cut out parking costs for DH.

We want to increase the savings & have a separate account to dip into for those extras that come in. So now we don't have to think about getting a Credit Card which we were in case of emergences, last thing I want is one of those at it took yrs to clear debt & don't want to go back to there again.

So now that we will have more $ this yr we are going to tighten our belts more, so often in the past when extra $ came in more went out on bills or WFF cuts or increased CS payments...

I hate stressing about money & bills...makes me sick, so hope my plan pans out
Luckac231894 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckac231894 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 5:50pm
Re-opening this topic.
Living in Auckland on one income with a baby on the way... how do you survive these days?
I have just finished studies, my partner got a job in Auckland and we moved in here... I have been jobhunting for 6 months now with no success, while also pregnant, and my partner's job is not the best paying one. He's been looking for a better one, but also without success. Up to now we have been flatting to save up money, but as the due date gets closer, we are looking for a place just for ourselves - but finding a decent one for under $500 is almost impossible!
Since I have not been working for at least 6 months, I won't be eligible for PPL. So all we are left with is the Accommodation Supplement and when the baby is born, Working for Families... Will it be enough?
lenabr199848 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabr199848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 3:35am
Have you searched online jobs - proofreading, teaching, copywriting, VA?
Me 38, DH 42
#1IVF - BNF, no implantation
#2IVF - BNF, mc
changed clinics, 1st appointment Gdansk - June 2018
#3IVF - Gdansk Poland, Dec 2018
Jamess266209 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamess266209 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 8:45pm
Oh, it wasn't really easy to get it, but anyway I got fired some weeks ago, and I feel super stressed right now. My friend recommended me to try using jooble because he had a very good experience with this resource and I believe that I will try it too. Guys, what do you think about https://jooble.org/jobs/Norwalk%2C-CA? I just thought that someone might have already used it here.... I will be very happy to hear such things here, so please write me here. I hope that someone will tell me something.
lenabr199848 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabr199848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 5:02pm
I personally use upwork and I am happy with them. You can also start your own blog or Insta account. You will need to learn some new things, such as what is the perfect lenght of blog posts, keywords, tags, etc. But then you will be able to monetize your accounts and have a second stream of income.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12