FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat are your financial goals for 2011?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 9:52pm
We ended up taking a personal loan to pay our credit card off cos it got out of control. We have a visa debit card now just so we can make online purchases, which was what the credit card was suppose to be for but it was just too easy for us both to stick it on the credit card and pay it off later, then not actually pay it off and stick more stuff on it

Sponsored Links

ooEvaoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooEvaoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 4:59pm

Yes banks are cunning to students...I was straight out of school and had a overdraft and credit card...not good. Anywhos I have a couple saving goals. Have a money tin that change goes into..to be opened in December. I stick quite a bit in there because we'll also have DS's 5th birthday. Savings acc for a house deposit, another secret money jar so I can save for mini rewards for my weight loss goals, and another savings account for a overseas trip at the end of the year. DF already has a budgeting system in place so all purchases must be accounted for.

LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 7:00pm
2011 is our year to pay get our mortage down as much as we can, so we can sell a the end of the year.
Pay off debt and save.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 8:53pm
I keep meaning to but a money tin to put my change in but havent seen them - can you get them from the $2 shop or something?

I am useless at savings though, so far this pay fortnight i've spent $80 on baby clothes that i absolutely do not need (but are very cute and all under $10 from the farmers sale). Last pay was my car warrent (plus some work) and this time around is my moms birthday so hopefully NEXT time i will be able to save more. I often find myself in panic mode late at night going "what if the baby needs .... and i can't afford it?!"
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 6:52am
Originally posted by bowie bowie wrote:

I keep meaning to but a money tin to put my change in but havent seen them - can you get them from the $2 shop or something?

save money & use a jar & put a hole in the top not that I have done it yet ha ha...never have change...need to do it as school & kindy suck me dry with the little weekly stuff
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2011 at 7:43am
We have a money jar here too and empty our change out at the end of the week (mainly silver coins and some gold) - it's amazing how quick it adds up! But then again that loose change can be great for a number of things - parking, small trips to the shops... You could try putting in $5 a week at the least though, that'd soon add up!

Another one is if you are with ASB they have something called Save the Change which I've just signed up to as DP had it and raved about it... link
snooze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snooze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 7:28am
We would like to reduce the term of our mortgage. I would ideally like it all paid off by the time I am 50... only 13 years away

Oh, and save for a babymoon (leave DS with mum) and go to Sydney for 2 nights in April/May.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 2:42pm
bowie - pop into an ASB. I got a cute yellow elephant money tin for DS. Actually most banks probably do something similar, I think BNZ have a wee pig.

By putting away loose change this year we saved $80 for DS bank account, it was 90% silver coins too, it really is amazing how quick it adds up.

As for financial goals. We really need to work on tightening our belts and stop living like we are earning two salaries still. Although once we finishing paying off the car in June we'll have an extra $150 a week which will help drastically. Then hopefully we can save that for a nice family holiday, i'd love to go overseas somewhere

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 8:33pm
I might be totally crazy but even though i have nearly 4k of debt left, i still have a savings account that gets a measly $10 a week to save for travel. I feel like i should funnel any extra money into the debt but that quietly growing bank account gives me lots of fun-time thoughts about where i'm going to take baby on his first holiday.

I got a BNZ pig in the end - stoked! But i can break into it and keep robbing it for random coins for parking. Need to get a tin and glue the lid on it!!
nicci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 9:38am
Random year to choose to do this but hey, if not now, when?

We would like to invest in a crappy house with 4 bedrooms and renovate it. The goal being a larger section size and a smaller mortgage.

Have seen a place that would mean (if we can get it for the price we want to pay) a reduction of $40 - $50k off the mortgage and a section increase of 50% on where we currently live.
astral_monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astral_monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 4:15pm
Yikes. This made me sit down and think about how much money we owe. I have a whole list of things I would really like to have paid off before the end of the year, including credit cards, money lent by the inlaws, and money my sister paid for our holiday accommodation last year (she booked it and said she'd let us know our share, but never did. DH & I agreed on a round number that should cover it, we just haven't had any spare $'s since).

Hoping DH will get the promotion and raise he's been promised and I can pay the debt back quicker, then we can start saving for when we are (finally) UTD!

kiwikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2011 at 4:27pm
Our financial goals are really going to depend on whether or not I get pregnant. So I have two lists:

Not pregnant:
- Put an extra $2k minimum on the mortgage (would like to put $5k but that depends on how the renovations go).
- Save $2k to renovate the bathroom and finish the kitchen (then YAY house DONE!).
- take a holiday with DH (booked! - 6 Days in Melbourne here we come).
- Pay off my CC (It only has $900 on it but it has had this for a year! - I keep paying of current spending and cant seem to clear the old spending - so no interest but annoying).
- Save $10k for next round of IVF

Pregnant:
- Make sure there is $10k in the bank for when bubs comes.
- reduce food bill by $20 per week
- reduce spending by $50 per week
Due 14/10/11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12