FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp cutting down the food bill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 11:35am
DH wants to add no meat meals several times a week, I am all for that, not sure about the kids.
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 11:46am
we do that anyway...   or just small amounts of meat. My kids have never been big meat eaters and even the supposed favourites of mince and sausages werent popular.

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 1:04pm
I do some meals with little or no meat. Winter is good for soup once a week with fresh bread. Sometimes I make corn and bacon fritters and that only uses about 2-3 slices of bacon so a pack of bacon goes quite a long way. Or I make up a tomato sauce with a few slices of bacon to put over pasta. According to the 'experts' we don't need as much meat as we tend to eat and we don't need it every night
Lindsey

SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 2:38pm
Girlsrock - this is my standard muffin recipe, I made it with gluten free baking mix for GI friend and it works fine.

2 c flour
3/4 c caster sugar
2 t baking powder

mix together in a bowl. Add whatever flavourings - I usually do 1 c frozen berries and grated rind of 1 lemon, chopped apple and cinnamon, chopped banana, etc.

The beat together and add to dried ingredients:
1/3 c oil
1 c yogurt or sour cream
2 eggs
1t vanilla essence

Mix quickly, bake at 180 degrees.

We (I ) seriously need to cut our food bill down, it is getting out of control. 2 kids, 1 cat, DH and I , is it realistic to get it all for under $200 a week? Including nappies x 2, wipes, and lactose free formula.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 2:44pm
Special k - yup it is. We have the same thing with 2 kids, 2 adults and 1 cat. Daniel has night nappies and Alex nappies, plus formula and we spend about $150 a week if you average it out and I get protein powder which is $35 a tin. The odd ocassion its more if we need to get razor blades cause those things are bloody expensive
SarSar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarSar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

Special k - yup it is. We have the same thing with 2 kids, 2 adults and 1 cat. Daniel has night nappies and Alex nappies, plus formula and we spend about $150 a week if you average it out and I get protein powder which is $35 a tin. The odd ocassion its more if we need to get razor blades cause those things are bloody expensive

Agree about razor blades! Looks like marketing costs have pushed prices up on most of them, the budget ones actually work surprisingly well
Chickadee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickadee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 5:32pm
Our budget is $60 per week for 2 adults and a 1 yr old, plus takeaways once a fortnight. We only buy free range eggs too. No nappies or formula as using cloth nappies and breastfeeding. I do miss the luxuries such as ice cream and nice drinks but we just can't afford them!
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 7:21am
Wow $60! That is amazing, how do you do it? Just one week where we need things like cleaning products or deodorant would blow that way out of the water. I spend about $40 a week for two adults and one child just on fruit and veg.
Lou
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 12:41pm
Thought I might come on here & say about how to make cheap jam, not sure if anyone has put it across before.

2 large cans of fruit @ 2.15 each
750gm sugar $1.65
1 pkt of pectin/jam setting mix $2.12
1 teaspoon citric acid (100gm = $2.64) approx .13c

$8.20 I get 5 1/2 jars so $1.49 a jar

All you do is drain the fruit, puree up, heat & then add the other ingredients & bring to the boil for 5 mins. Cool & put in jars
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Chickadee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickadee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 3:04pm
I generally just clean with vinegar and baking soda. Washing powder is bought in bulk and only when on special, and we just try to eat seasonally.
For example, this week I got from the fruit and vege shop:
1 large bag of kiwifruit $2;
1 large bunch bananas $2
1 bag apples $2
2kg carrots $2.50
leek $2
strawberries $3
total fruit/veges : $13.50

And we already have a big bag of potatoes and other veges plus pears left over from last week so that'd be our fruit and veges for the week.

I think for the rest it went something like this:
mince (3 meals worth) $9
pork (2 meals worth) $6
milk $3 (2L)
bread $2.50 (2 loaves) - the rest I make at home
ham $2
corn chips $4
spaghetti $1
baked beans $1
chilli beans $1
easiyo yoghurt packet $3
fish patties $5
conditioner for me $6
new baby toothbrush $3
Total: $60

In the freezer we have some chicken, previously bought when on special. I'm reasonably well stocked up on baking ingredients at the moment but will top up supplies when I have leftover money. Next week my main purchases will be butter, eggs and cheese which will total $25 by themselves, plus probably $15 fruit and veges, $10 meat and $10 other ingredients.

Our meals for this week are: Baked chicken thigh, Fish burgers, Potato and Leek soup, Pork strip on rice, nachos, homemade pizza, quiche. DH takes sandwiches, baking and fruit for lunch and we have sams or leftovers.

Phew long post, sorry!
Gen2011 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gen2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 3:09pm
So after reading all of these tips I started to really knuckle down on the budget for me and DP as now that I am up the duff with complications im on the sickness benefit.

Our total grocery bill for the month was $276, and we ate so well! Salmon and everything, this included feeding the dogs but excluded the horse.

DP still is sneaky and will buy his lunch every so often snacks and powerades so I have no idea how much to add on top of that.

I dont hit him up about it though because he has cut down heaps (used to buy everyday) and he pays all the bills, and manages to put away savings each week so I amm happy.

This week im going to do a big shop and include some baby items that I am going to start stock piling each week.

A tip from me is if you have animals (I have heaps of dogs) Chicken frames and Coprice bulk dog food is amazing.

I buy one 90kg bag from an outlet feed store for $7 and chicken frames for about 50c each from mad butcher. 1 Chicken frame means you only have to give them 1 scoop of coprice (working dog is higher calorie and same price so feed less) the 90kg bag lasts me about 3 months, and a chicken frame every secound day is about $14 a week for me.

If you only had one dog this would last you much much longer. Just dont cook the chicken frames.

I also use any leftover rice and free range eggs (free from my mother) with bulk peas and make a huge mash up of rice, eggs and peas and give this to the dogs about once a week or if any have coats looking lacklustre.. this keeps them really healthy and I find is really cheap. If you cant get free eggs then any old rice/pasta will do.

that might be a bit spoilt to some but I have some competition dogs so have to keep them in top nick without forking out for science diet or something.
lsttcdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsttcdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2012 at 1:44pm
I have read through this forum a few times now and have managed to cut my weekly food bill down from $250 to $100 for me and DH, the funny thing is he says he hasnt noticed, in fact he thinks we eat better.

Must admit it takes a lot of planning on my part, pre-preparing things, having a plan for leftovers and baking but the result has been fab, it has only been a few weeks and already our general financial situation feels much better!

I love food and it is my one real weakness when it comes to money but this is such a great feeling being in control. I must admit to having to let go of the guilt when serving an 'easy' meal, but what really made the change for me was at christmas, nothing felt like a treat because we ate like that all the time, now I look forward to 'special' food.

Look forward to hearing more tips, maybe I could get down to $60?
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 10:30am
Originally posted by lsttcdiver lsttcdiver wrote:

I have read through this forum a few times now and have managed to cut my weekly food bill down from $250 to $100 for me and DH, the funny thing is he says he hasnt noticed, in fact he thinks we eat better.

how did you manage that?
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by lsttcdiver lsttcdiver wrote:

That's awesome! I keep meaning to read over this thread and get tips (AND put them into action) now that we are down to one income for a while I should make it a priority! We spend a ridiculous amount on groceries
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
lsttcdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsttcdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 3:55pm
jazzy for me planning is everything, I check my cupboard then I plan my meals for the week. So I write out each meal and the ingredients I need to make it. Then I write next to each ingredient how much it usually costs rounded to the nearest dollar. As I go through the list I often adjust my meal plan to utilise an ingredient more than once, ie: this week we are having beef stroganoff so we are also having tacos, quiche and an apple cake so I can justify the luxury item of sourcream!

Then I only buy what is on the list! Though I do get some things that are on special if there is any money left over, this week it was canned tomatoes.

I have started a veggie garden and plan to use what is ready there (not much currently with the funny weather!) and bake twice a week. I still buy real butter and managed to add razors, batteries and a new clip it container to the shop this week without going over budget.

I'll give it a few weeks and and then try for more of a challenge! Anyone got any more tips to share?

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 11:29am
I agree meal planning saves money...I need to plan better & use what I have in the cupboards. I cleaned out the fridge & threw heaps out    

I find the extras like non food items add up.
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2012 at 5:42pm
If you keep razors in a bit of any kind of oil they last so much longer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345