FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIVF/funding questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IVF/funding questions
    Posted: 12 January 2011 at 9:24pm
So my first question is how many cycles of IVF can we get publicly funded? And if we are luck enough to get UTD can we get more cycles funded for a 2nd baby? After a 2nd child can we get more cycles funded or is that the limit (have to talk DP into it yet as i want 3 but he only wants 2)

DP has been advised to freeze some sperm, do we have to pay for the storage or is that publicly funded? is it better for us to freeze embryos (hopefully we will get enough good ones from our first IVF cycle) and do we have to pay for the storage of them?

Sorry for all the questions, just a lot to think about and work out!
Sponsored Links

spanky77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanky77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2011 at 10:24pm
I'm on your side of this, so I'm not definitely sure, but I think its 2 cycles publicly funded. I'm not sure of criteria for a second baby.
I think we might have to pay for storage, not sure, I'm expecting that. I asked here a few weeks ago and I think public funding might cover FET etc. I think the FET is supposed to be much less invasive once you've got the eggies out.
Still waiting for an appt and to see if ivf is suitable for us . . . if you find out answers please let us .

You're right its loads to think about. I have 2 sides of A4 with questions already!
mountaingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 9:04am
[QUOTE=_Waiting_] So my first question is how many cycles of IVF can we get publicly funded?]

You can get 2 publicly funded cycles

And if we are luck enough to get UTD can we get more cycles funded for a 2nd baby? After a 2nd child can we get more cycles funded or is that the limit (have to talk DP into it yet as i want 3 but he only wants 2)

As I understand it, it is two cycles regardless - so if you are lucky enough to have a baby from your first IVF cycle, you are still entitled to the second. It works on a points system so if a medical reason has been found why you can't have children naturally, then that fast-tracks your points. (because it's not just a matter of time IYGWIM?)

DP has been advised to freeze some sperm, do we have to pay for the storage or is that publicly funded? is it better for us to freeze embryos (hopefully we will get enough good ones from our first IVF cycle) and do we have to pay for the storage of them?
Not sure about the sperm but generally under publicly funded IVF it is funded to meet your specific criteria - ie if the clinic has advised that is the best way of success then it would be funded. It is entirely up to you whether you decide to freeze embryos but they should be stored under public funding for up to 18 months. I think after that the average cost is approx $200 per year.

Obviously freezing embryos brings a whole heap of further ethical dilemmas and you will have to sign consent forms on what you wish to do with them in various circumstances

Sorry for all the questions, just a lot to think about and work out![/QUOTE

Good luck with it all Waiting! You should be able to request an IVF info book from the clinic you are with (even if you haven't started) and they are very comprehensive.
chiqa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiqa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 9:41am
My understanding of it is that once you have 2 ivf babies (to one relationship)that were publically funded you no longer qualify for further funding and have to go private. So if you have 2 babies from your first public cycle you can't have the second cycle funded. But if you still have frozen embryos you can still transfer them of course but it must be done privately.
JaneW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaneW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 2:22pm
Hi Waiting, just in response to the sperm question, we qualified for public funding due to MFI, the FS suggested DH get a sperm sample frozen, which he did so and we haven't had to pay for anything so far....not sure whether that changes in the future though.
noodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 2:45pm
I dont know the answers to all your questions but thought i'd let you know what happened for us.
We qualified for our first funded cycle (that we didn't end up using) then we went back to the clinic when DS was 18 or so months old to see what we were eligable for. Which was that we would qualify for IVF again but this time we would of had to been trying for 2.5years (because we lost points for having DS already) and that was counted from when I got my AF back (which wasn't until ds was 18months old) and then we had to wait on the waiting list etc. So basically all going well (with waiting times etc) we wouldn't of had another baby until ds was 6 or 7 years old

I dont know what the wait/criteria for FET if ya get any embies on ice are though.

Good luck with your journey chick, I hope it's a short one from here on in!

Edited by noodle

ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by mountaingirl mountaingirl wrote:

[QUOTE=_Waiting_] So my first question is how many cycles of IVF can we get publicly funded?]

You can get 2 publicly funded cycles

And if we are luck enough to get UTD can we get more cycles funded for a 2nd baby? After a 2nd child can we get more cycles funded or is that the limit (have to talk DP into it yet as i want 3 but he only wants 2)

Unless things have changed, when we did IVF (CUinn is now 2) you had 2 funded cycles but if a baby came out of cycle one, you had any frozen embryos from that cycle which were funded for transfer, but you were not longer entitled to funding for a second cycle.

As far as having a first naturally and then applying for IVF funding, my understanding was that there is a significant delay for publicly funded IVF (around 3 years or so).

Might pay to contact a clinic and just be sure of what's what. As I say, things may have changed!
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 3:20pm
Here's some info I found on the FA website

I hope this helps a bit - it's so confusing on the funding side of things!
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
rachb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by _Waiting_ _Waiting_ wrote:

_Waiting_ - we are in the same boat as you, we have been advised to freeze sperm as well. Our public funded appointment is in Nov this year. We don't have to pay for the freezing or storage as it is covered under the public funding.

Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 7:15pm
Hi all, I think it is as Noodle said - you lose points for having a baby, so end up having to wait for 2nd one funded.

Also, I just wanted to add there is no guarantee of having two cycles funded by the government.

If teh doctor believes there isn't enough chance of success, you might not get your second done.

Also, if your first cycle is a total fizzer (ie no decent embryos), then it doesn't count as #1 and you start again.

If you can possibly afford it, I would recommend going private for cycle 1 so you don't have to wait as long. We did this, and tthe info gathered meant we were bumped up the list. We would still be waiting if had not paid for 2 privates!

Edited by Rooella

_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 8:23pm
thanks for all the info ladies. I might ring FA tomorrow, its so WRONG that we have to pay to have kids!!!!!!!!

Our first step is for me to loss weight and then we are going to look in going private for IVF. Its hard because the only way for us to get the money would be through our mortgage but my parents are guarantor so they would have to ok it (they dont know we need IVF ) Though if we do talk to them about it they might just give us the money
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 1:34pm
[QUOTE=ginger]
Unless things have changed, when we did IVF (CUinn is now 2) you had 2 funded cycles but if a baby came out of cycle one, you had any frozen embryos from that cycle which were funded for transfer, but you were not longer entitled to funding for a second cycle.[QUOTE]

You are correct Ginger, i just called to checked. You only get the second cycle if you dont have a baby from the first. Any embryos that you get from a cycle are covered to transfer
Briti250299 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briti250299 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 2:51am
Hi. I am also a kind of surprised by seeing this. I had not much ideas about these things but all I am doing these days to get the information as much as I can for having a baby by best and safe side. I was suggested by my family doctor for the surrogacy as doctors also says that IVF is not good in all cases and not is successful sometime so we should always before going to do so make sure about the chances.
 Post Reply Post Reply