FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVENT: Food & petrol prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 10:06am
One of the benefits of living in Palmy and having a diesel vehicle. Even though its a big 4wd its still way cheaper to run than a petrol car even with road user charges
Sponsored Links

bun_in_the_oven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun_in_the_oven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 11:31am
with the km i travelled and road user charges it really didnt work out that much cheaper for us..
I have recently gone back to petrol and its painful..
put $60 in the other day and it was barely 1/3 a tank !!

something has to change. we would like to Try for number two and i get so overwhelmed and stressed out about the finances...

DH pays the mortage and i pay all the utilities.. take away my income and the math just dont add up !!
Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2011 at 12:52pm
I find doing our finances very depressing but at least we have children to show for it. I have friends and family that are struggling financially and they don't even have children yet or mortgages. I really feel for them.

Money used to be so important to me, but now just seeing DS smiley face everyday is much more important.

Mortgages are tough, in this economy one partner basically works to pay the mortgage, so it's so difficult for a mother to stop working altogether to have children. Houses are so darn expensive and what you get for your money isn't much. Renting can sometimes be just as expensive. Especially in the main centres. I suppose it makes me feel a bit better, that everyone else seems to be in the same boat ;-)
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 6:51am
Sez26 we lived in the country & had to commute 80km each way it was not a bad trade off living in the country & working a distance away till the price of petrol keep going up....& because of petrol prices everything else goes up too.

Buying good food is so much more expensive it is easy to buy the crap food to keep the $ down.

(on a side note Sez26 your ticker is a bit to long & stretches the page so I can not read a couple of words on your post...if you drop one ticker under the other it will solve it)
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 9:51am
I think some of the financials comes down to your lifestyle.

DH's income pays for it all and I'm managing to put away quite a bit into savings every pay. But I have a great budget.

Our meals are cheap but tasty and we buy where its cheapest. Theres a dairy in town that has alot of spices in it as theres an indian couple that own it. We get all our herbs and spices from there for about 1/10th of the price in the supermarket because its in bulk. We buy very very little crap and eat really healthy and even with formula, nappies and protein powder for me (thats $35 a tin) we only spend $320 a fortnight on groceries all up which isn't bad for a family of 4 with those expensive extras.

Daniel and I do baking 1-2 times a week, usually muffins. I have a healthy muffins cookbook and we make those and its pretty cheap, no butter and uses 1/4 cup of oil instead which makes it cheaper and those get eaten for morning/afternoon tea and lunches. They are full of fruit etc and are yum and I freeze them so theres always a selection in the freezer.

When I need to go into town I think do I need this right now? If the answer is no, I save up all those things and do it all in one trip later in the week.

We do tons of free/extremely cheap activities.

I've made some pants for Alex. Merino and fully lined. $2 a pop in total. Beats the hell out of paying what between $20-40 depending on the brand and most aren't even lined.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

Daniel and I do baking 1-2 times a week, usually muffins. I have a healthy muffins cookbook and we make those and its pretty cheap, no butter and uses 1/4 cup of oil instead which makes it cheaper and those get eaten for morning/afternoon tea and lunches. They are full of fruit etc and are yum and I freeze them so theres always a selection in the freezer.

that's a great idea, I need to do that. Did not even think about freezing them.

Since I am walking & not using the car I don't go shopping much so not spending $ on impulse buys & using what is in the cupboard. Also cutting the crap out is saving $ even thought we are spending a bit more on fruit & veg but it gets eaten & not thrown out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12