FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedoutward facing prams cruel???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rorylex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rorylex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: outward facing prams cruel???
    Posted: 22 August 2011 at 4:22pm
seriously???

Link
Mummy to 4 boys
Samuel - 18.6.05
Rory - 15.7.06
Mason - 13.06.08
Emmett - 24.01.10
Baby #5 - cooking
Sponsored Links

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 10:49am
Bit of a silly he-said-she-said article really. Would have been better for it to contain some actual research!
Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 7:32pm
I think 'cruel' is the wrong word but I personally would never use an outward facing pram for the reasons mentioned in the article. I'm fairly traditional when it comes to my parenting so only ever wanted a 4 wheeler pram that faced me. Can't stand those 3 wheeler monstrosities. But just because I feel that way, doesn't mean I judge people that choose to use outward facing or 3 wheeler prams.
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 8:52pm
Mum bought me a flash stroller for Bentley which has a bassinet which faces me, and as he gets bigger the bassinet detaches and it becomes a regular front-facing four wheel pram.
I never thought forward-facing would be cruel to the child, more to me 'cause I'd have to keep checking that his hat wasn't over his eyes, or he hadn't puked or something, and I wanna see my boy.
I can remember being in a pram as a toddler and I definitely loved it, apart from when mum put the shopping on the handles and I tipped up when I tried to get out :P
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2011 at 9:05pm
A bit ridic in my opinion. I like to see my boy too, and i wear him for most outings but the pram i have is foward facing, because rear facing ones were outside my budget. I rarely use it because DS certainly hates being foward faced. He goes blank, slumps over and doesnt respond/blink if you dance in front of his face. I hate it so don't use it unless he's really scratchy and needs a stroll in which case he's asleep within minutes and it doesnt matter anyway. But i suspect he is the exception. Friends with babies in foward facing prams never seem fussed, a few cling onto the front part and lean foward looking around, pointing and laughing etc. Certainly don't look traumatised and their parents arent cruel.
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 8:01pm
I could be totally mis-reading the signs, but I doubt I'm wrong when I say Jacob genuinely loves being forward-facing. When we go for walks he chatters and points and exclaims over things he sees, and it's one of my sure-fire ways of cheering him up when he's grumpy. So it's either not a biggie, or he's a weird baby (totally possible )

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 10:10pm
1st of all,I shall fork out the dollars for therapy my poor children need as the result of being in a forward facing pram,Caitlyn at 9 is a very social,confident and happy young girl,but clearly,there will be underlying issues as a result of her "selfish" mother's actions.

2nd of all,I think the lady is a dipsh*t for saying "parents who use them are selfish and cruel " sure say the action is cruel if you feel that way,but don't make parents,especially new ones who are already second guessing everything they do,have more to feel guilty about.

And 3rdly...I loved how the picture of the traumatised baby was a picture of one sleeping.Yup,looked REALLLLLY stressed out to me

peaceandlove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peaceandlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2011 at 5:38pm
How many prams on the market do face you though?
shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2011 at 7:08pm
Our big pram faces both directions and DS seems to prefer facing us still. He is fine in his outward facing umbrella stroller that we use for round town though unless he is tired. I certainly don't think it is cruel to face forwards but in my case a preference of my wee one to see us.

I do have a bit of an issue with outward facing front carriers with smaller babies though. Friends of ours were carrying their 4 month old facing forwards and he was getting tired and looking really distressed - just far too much stimulation for such a little one - and they couldn't really see. I think in a pram it is different as they are a little more enclosed and not up as high and looking straight out.

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2011 at 10:10am
Am I being a bit dumb to think that babies could just close their eyes if it was getting a bit much for them? Or are they just not that bright?

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2011 at 11:48am
Nah, when i took DS out when really little he'd look around and promptly close his eyes. Never settled like that at home, i always thought he was like f**k this! too many people and lights. I'll just nap instead.
NovMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 9:34pm
Thank goodness this is Australian research and not nz, would have hated to think that nz taxpayers were forking it out for this rather than things that actually need research... Surely every child is different?
 Post Reply Post Reply