FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSmelly night nappies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smelly night nappies
    Posted: 31 August 2011 at 9:56am
Im using pops in overnight with DD (2.5yrs) and boy are they smelly. I just cant get the urine smell out of them & she wore a new one last night ive washed it & it still smells.

Im using eco store & have even just done a wash in normal powder to get the smell out but its a no go. Am i meant to just put up with the smell.

How do you all wash your stinky toddler nappies??
Sponsored Links

maya22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maya22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 10:08am
use 'canestan' in the rinse and line dry outside.

Ecostore is well known for not washing nappies well, maybe investigate a different laundry powder.
DS1 July 2007
DS2 Nov 2010
Dutchy112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchy112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 12:43pm
Have you tried RockinGreen or even the REAL nappies powder? They work really well for us. I know what you mean with terrible smells overnight, my DS is 2 and it gets even worse when he's teething... (and when I use hemp inserts - although they are awesome absorbing moisture so I do use them). Anyway, if the nappy is in the bucket for too long it makes me gag (doesn't help of course that i'm 33 weeks pregnant and smells in general are a bit of an issue). Have you tried adding some lavender oil (couple of drops) to the rinse at the end of the cycle?

Loving the sunshine today (Chch) and all DS his nappies are outside .
Mum to DS1 (July 2009) and DS2 (October 2011)
For quality nappies & advice, check:
The Cloth Nappy Company, Christchurch, NZ
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 12:53pm
Ive been putting outside when i can but they never dry. The weather just isnt warm enough yet.

Ok i might get some rockin green. Where would i find canestan?
maya22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maya22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by _SMS_ _SMS_ wrote:

Ive been putting outside when i can but they never dry. The weather just isnt warm enough yet.

Ok i might get some rockin green. Where would i find canestan?

canestan in is the laundry aisle of the supermarket. You don't have to buy the super expensive special nappy powder, we use surf with no issues.
DS1 July 2007
DS2 Nov 2010
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 1:27pm
Cannesten or detol are the same thing.

Recommend rock-in green, or soak the nappies in cold water until your ready to wash them. I do a soak about once a month on them as we have yukky teething wee's at the moment

lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 3:55pm
Rockn Green doesn't get the smell of pee out of my pop-in's, neither does putting them on the line for a few hours in the wind. So I hear your frustration. I also wash mine that same morning I take them off DD. I haven't tried canesten though, may have to give that a go.
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 7:21pm
You can try white vinegar in the rinse too. That helps a fair bit. I don't buy the super expensive special powders either, seems to defeat the cost-saving purpose of cloth really. Canestan is an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal so I try not to use it very often - mostly only when DD has thrush.
 Post Reply Post Reply