FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTermination for medical reasons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MandzG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandzG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Termination for medical reasons
    Posted: 06 December 2011 at 1:04pm
Last week I sadly had to have a termination at 16 weeks of my baby girl who was diagnosed with Trisomy 13. Over the last few weeks I have been looking for support (online I mean, I have amazing support from my husband, family & friends) and couldn't really find anything. There seems to be plenty of support for miscarriages, and also for losses after 20 weeks. So I guess I just wanted see if I have missed them, or would like to start one so people can share their experiences.
Sponsored Links

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 1:07pm
I am so, so sorry MandzG!

I dont know of any support groups here - my only experience of Trisomy 13 was when a friend lost her baby (also around 16 weeks) but she is not in NZ.

I'd recommend searching Yahoo groups or Facebook to find other people in the same situation.

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 6:45pm
I didnt want to read and run, just to say Im so sorry hun x
http://lilypie.com]
pikelets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikelets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 8:48pm
Big hugs to you hun! I'm so sorry to hear what you have been through.
xx

3 Angels - Dec10 / Mar11 / Dec11
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 9:27pm
Have you tried SANDS? They are apparently really good. I had a medical termination at 22w for severe spina bifida. Support groups is something I've not felt comfortable with myself so I've not looked into them. I hope you find one that suits you!
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 9:37pm
I'm so sorry for what you have to deal with. I too had to terminate for medical reasons at 21 weeks, 8 years ago now. I remember how hard it was to find help too, it was a long time after someone told me about http://www.thelostones.co.nz/
Hope that helps :)

MandzG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandzG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2011 at 8:41pm
Thanks ladies. I have been talking lots to friends and family so I think that will help me get through, but I will have a look at the two suggestions as well.

Dec 2011   Feb 2012
spanky77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanky77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 8:35pm
I'm sorry you went through this, it is a horrible decision to have to make and I can only imagine how hard its been. I have joined a yahoo group for balanced translocations - I don't know if either of you have been karyotyped or whether your little girls chromosomes were a new event. Either way if you want to pm me I can send you the link if you can't find it(I don't log on OB very often but get email note if I have PM).
I get emails from the BT group as they come through and quite often read about women who have terminated for medical reasons - heartbreaking stuff. And its something you hear about usually once in a blue moon, or not at all, unless you're running in chromosomal anomaly circles - more of a reality for some of us.

I wish you peace and healing, all the very best of the best to you both
3x miscarriages, balanced translocation likely culprit.

BFP from 2nd round IVF, The Bonk born in May 2013
Aims11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aims11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 9:13pm
Hi MandzG - I've only just seen your post, so sorry to hear about the loss of your baby. I had a termination for medical reasons in August at 14 weeks due to a serious neural tube defect. I found reading the posts on babycenter.com helpful, they have a termination for medical reasons group - and it's nice to know you're not alone. Big hugs, it does get easier. xx
tigger,roo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger,roo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 9:42am
Hi MandzG - I had a medical termination @14 wks in 2010. www.inspiredbyjack.formumotion.com is a great forum for mothers who have lost babies in any situation. Its nz based and the mothers are really supportive. Also try sands - the ladies that admin inspired by jack and william are involved with sands too.
Huge hugs and glad you have supportive friends and family.

Angels - March'11, Nov '10, May '10
MandzG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandzG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2012 at 1:52pm
Thanks for the recent messages. As they say time is definitely a healer. I think having xmas and summer holidays was actually a blessing in disguise - great distraction. If anyone else goes through something similar and wants some support, I am happy to talk.

Dec 2011   Feb 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply