FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSaving seeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saving seeds
    Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:05am
Does anyone save seeds for the next year?

I have done once with capsicum but it was a bit hit and miss. I'm quite keen to save broad beans but have no idea what I'm doing really.

What do you save your seeds in and is it worth it or is it just as easy to go and buy seeds the following year?
Sponsored Links

LadyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 4:03pm
I have saved pumpkin, tomato, capsicum and other plant seeds too

I saved them from last year and all have done well. With the pumpkin and tomato I placed them evenly apart in rows on a paper towel (quite hard with the tiny tomato seeds) and placed another paper towel ontop, let it dry then cut it so it could fit in an envelope and placed them in a cool dry dark place. When I planted them I just cut the paper towel into little suqares with a seed in the middle and poped then into seed rasing mix/compost, they all sprouted
I collected seeds from a supermarket brought capsicum and put them directly into an envelope to store then scattered them in a tray of compost/seed raising mix and they all sprouted (about 100 of them) costed me nothing Going to do more this year and see what I get/works
My vege boxes randomly have sprouted tomato plants from last year... I have sooo many its crazy! and I noticed something growing between the broccoli so left it to see what it was and Im pretty sure its a sunflower.... dont know how it got there but its growing heaps by the day!
TTC for 4 1/2 years
IVF #1 - April 2012 short BFP, no frosties
IVF #2 - August 2012, BFP!! 3 frosties!

blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 8:34pm
LadyBee that sounds nice and straight forward. I think I'll give it a go this year.

I get random tomato plants too though less this year than last.
Casablanca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casablanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 3:18pm
I saved seeds from last years lettuce, capsicum and tomoatoes, all have grown this year. It ends up being heaps cheaper than buying them. As LB said all you need to do is dry them out on a paper towel, and then I seal them in an envelope.

If you've got enough room you could try letting things self seed - I just let all my lettuces go to seed, and sure enough I have a whole bunch of new ones sprouting. The best thing is I didn't need to do any work! They all seem to have sprouted at different times which is awesome as they are all ready at different times (instead of all of them needing to be eaten at the same time!)
 Post Reply Post Reply