FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked'Just' sick or reflux?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Just' sick or reflux?
    Posted: 09 September 2012 at 3:30pm
My DD is 5 weeks old, and isn't a happy chappy :-( She developed a cold about two weeks ago, just a snuffly nose. However on Tuesday she started coughing, REALLY REALLY coughing, to the point where she can hardly breathe, and often vomited afterwards. I assumed it was the cold, but now after researching the internet (damn internet!) I am worried she might have reflux.

She definitely spills up a little in her mouth, is coughing a lot, cries out in her sleep every ten minutes or so and isn't sleeping very well at the moment. She is a very restless sleeper. Also she has started fussing on the breast, coming off lots. I do have a fast let down I think though.

I just don't know whether to assume it is the cold at work, or whether to investigate reflux.

Anyone here have any ideas or suggestions???

A paranoid mum.
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 1:26am
It could be the cold, my 3yo & I have had the same thing, it's not nice & it lasts a while! He goes extremely red in the face like his head is going to explode

Raise the head of her basinette, put karvol or Olbas oil on a tissue in the general area of her bed so it's easier for her to breath at night & maybe go to the dr to get them to test her "snot" least that way you'll know if it's a virus or bacteria or if it's neither to look into reflux, cause around the 5-6 week mark is when reflux usually steps up.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 12:42pm
If she is coughing that bad then please go see a doctor. Whooping cough is doing the rounds at the moment and thats what i first thought when you said coughing.

1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 12:03pm
Thanks Bizzy, have taken her to the Dr three times :-( He is pretty dismissive and doesn't appear to think it is a big deal :-( He has done a swab though so hopefully will rule out whooping cough.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 3:15pm
I dont know much about reflux but if your doctor seems dismissive maybe try a different doc if your bub doesnt improve.

grooveymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grooveymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 5:05pm
Heya,
just wondering if you ever got an answer about it?? I knew something was up when my son was about 1 1/2 weeks old... midwife told me everything was fine.. but i knew differnt. He would scream,wouldnt take milk and when he did he would bring it all back up. he would arch his back etc etc.. I took him to the doctor's and withn 5 min's I got told that yes i was right he does have reflux... My son is now 6 months old and we finally have it under control, he's on AR formula,med's and recently we tried bowen therphy which worked a treat.. he now is a differnt child, wish i had done it earlier
 Post Reply Post Reply