FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone else small for their dates?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmallChap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmallChap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone else small for their dates?
    Posted: 17 May 2013 at 3:52am
Hi Everyone. I am 36wks pregnant, and have just been to see my midwife. She measured my fundal height and I was 34cm, which means I'm 2cm small for my dates. I had a growth scan at 32wks, because I was 2cm small at my previous midwife appointment, and it all came back fine, but the midwife asked me if they had booked me for a follow up growth scan. Now I'm all worried again!
Sponsored Links

shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 12:07pm
I had several scans at the end of each of my pregnancies due to my fundal height measuring small (I think it was between 2 -4 cm smaller than expected).  Each time the scan actually estimated very large babies - the truth was somewhere in between.  The first pregnancy i was really worried (first with the small measurement and then the much larger scan estimate!!) but with the second pregnancy I decided it was just the way I must carry, although I still had the scans to make sure all was looking ok.

DS1 was induced at 37.3 weeks and was 7 pound 6 (3.2 kgs), 2 days earlier the scan estimate had been over 9 pound
DS2 was born at 38.6 weeks and was 8 pound 6 (3.6 kgs), again a scan a week or so before had estimated him well over 9 pounds

So my advice would be try not to worry (of course easier said than done), the fundal height has grown (and at the expected rate if you are still only 2cm behind).  Although if offered another scan I would probably go for one just for the reassurance.

Good luck :-)

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 11:15pm
You usually do a growth scan 2 weeks apart to make sure the baby is growing the required rate between the two scans.

I've have 2 small for dates babies & my first just escaped basically cause charting wasn't as good as it is now. It does do your head in, and scans do give you peace of mind.

As you're the same amount of weeks behind as you were, I'd not worry too much, definitely get another scan. They measure important things like blood flow and the fluid levels around the baby as well as the baby's actual size.

I think I was about 5 weeks behind with my last? She's just really short, but funnily she was my heaviest baby.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
harry116990 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry116990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 1:38am
hi
Twinkel Toes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinkel Toes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:55am
I wouldn't be to concerned, When i was 36 weeks i was measure 32cm, i've had numerous growth scans and all show bub about 1-2 weeks small (but both me and my husband are small) so i've got a personalise chart now that baby mneasures normal on even slightly bigger. We found bub had growth spurts so at one scan would be 3+ weeks out and next would be only 1week or on par. i'm 37 weeks now and measuring 36
Speedfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 10:22am
I understand your worries, my fundal height actually measured normal size but my baby was in the lower 5th percentile. What i found out from my midwife is that the measurements are + or - 20%! This made a large difference as when my daughter was born 3 weeks early, ( i had Gest Diabetes) they were expecting her to be 4 pound 8oz but she was actually 5 pound 4oz. Just relax, im sure you will be fine!
 Post Reply Post Reply