FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp after a c-section

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Keleho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keleho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help after a c-section
    Posted: 17 June 2013 at 3:36pm
Hi ladies! Im pregnant with my third, my first two were vaginal births but due to complications, Ill be opting for an elective c-section this time round.

It's still early days but Im just wondering what would be the best way to go post birth. We have minimal family and friends close by so as much as we will get some help, it wont be as much as I may need post c-section with two older children to care for as well, and minimal help from DH (we are dairy farming so he will be in and out during the day, but no guarantees)
DH suggested hiring someone to come and help out - how much help would I need? I was thinking someone for a little bit each day/every other day to help with washing and cleaning would be enough for anywhere between 4-6 weeks, am I being too optimistic?
I prefer to just get on with things, and its going to be frustrating enough for me as it is having someone in my space but I also dont want to find I really struggle just out of stubbornness lol

Any advice welcome
Sponsored Links

Frith118507 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frith118507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2013 at 12:44am
Hi, 9 weeks ago I had an elective C-section. I was nervous about the recovery, the pain and not being able to do much. I was really surprised how good I felt afterwards. I was reasonably fit tho and had worked on my feet right up till one week before. My surgeon said staying active really helps and I agree.
The only time I ran into trouble was about 3 days after I got home I did too much because I was feeling so good and caused myself quite a lot of pain. (lasting a few hours & some panadol & a rest sorted it out)
I found doing things in short bursts then resting was best but I was surprised how much I could do, even got out for a decent walk after about 10 days. The pain was easily manageable too and was just taking a bit of panadol once home.
I had heard a lot of scary stories but the procedure which looking back was nothing like how it was. I know everyone is different, hopefully you will be as lucky as me.
The advise about getting up and moving around afterwards is also good, even if just a slow wander around the hospital ward, it helps get the nasty anesthetic drugs out of your system too.
You might be surprised how quick the recovery is, I don't have any other children but found I could easily manage cooking and a bit of light housework like washing, tidying up etc no probs if I took it slowly.I certainly don't want to sound like a hero but sounds like you I have a very busy life running a business and used to doing "it all" without much help. I would easily say that by 6 weeks I felt well and truly physically back too full strength.

All the best & hopefully you are pleasantly surprised too.
HelenOf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelenOf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2013 at 7:14pm
I've had 3 and I reckon get/take as much support as you can get. I was on regular pain relief for 3 weeks and found it pretty sore to do too much. So I got a cleaner once a week for the first 6 weeks each time. I am lucky to have a very supportive husband who can work from home for some time for the first 6 weeks. We have had friends drop round meals. Mother/mother in law comes to help look after kids, maybe do some dishes and fold some washing. Everything helps, even little bits. I have a rule - no visitors for the first 6 weeks or so unless they are helpful, will make themselves a cup of tea (ie I am not waiting on them, I'm recovering from an operation after all with a newborn!!!!) and preferably they bring food :-) Swings and roundabouts ie we have dropped round many a meal and helped look after friends kids after births.
So your plan of having someone come in for some assistance with housework/cooking/washing most days for 4-6 weeks sounds very sensible to me...
 Post Reply Post Reply