FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCoffee Group Catchup - Ellerslie 06/10/2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skiltz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coffee Group Catchup - Ellerslie 06/10/2014
    Posted: 03 October 2014 at 8:41am
OHbaby! Coffee Catchup - Ellerslie - 6th October. Feel free to ask questions and Dorothy will reply when she can.

Don’t forget to use the code BABY14 to get $10 off your Countdown online shop when you spend over $100, and be in the draw to win a fantastic Countdown hamper worth $100”

Edited by skiltz - 03 October 2014 at 8:41am
Sponsored Links

BelindaHirst133741 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BelindaHirst133741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 6:33pm
Thank you for today, lots of morsels of information. Question (2 parts), is there an age that babies should be in their own room and sleeping in their cot. Our 12 week old still sleeps in her Moses basket in our room. Thank you, Belinda.
Charlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 8:01pm
Hi Dorothy
Thank you for today. You've given me a few ideas.
My question is in regards to night feeds. My 6 week old generally sleeps from about 7pm til midnight/1am and wakes for a feed, and then 3 hourly after that. Getting him to settle after the 1am feed tends to be a challenge - mostly I think because we're feeling tired and zonked at this point. I've also noticed he doesn't feed the greatest on this feed, and seems to be mostly comfort sucking in hindsight.

We also have a further problem of him not going back to sleep after he wakes at 5.30am (roughly when dad gets up for work).

My question is in a few parts:
1) If he wakes up crying at 1am, should I be feeding him or trying to resettle him? If I'm resettling, is the best way to do this with him still in his bassinet?

2) What should the night time feed-cuddle-sleep routine look like? Should he be awake for 1-1.5 hours at night like he would be in the day? Should I just be feeding, burping and putting him back down to sleep (something we can manage to get done most times in 30-40 minutes)?

3) Any suggestions on how to get him to settle after the 5.30am feed? I tend to be by myself for this one and end up stuck in bed with him asleep on me til 9am on a good day (at which point he wakes up crying when I put him down so I can eat/toilet/shower etc, and I spend much of the rest of the day with him sleeping on me again). I think some of this might be my own lack of confidence.

Thank you in advance.

Charlotte
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 11:16pm
HI Belinda
the recommended co sleeping (when a baby sleeps in the same room as you) is between 6 and 12 months. I find that each individual family finds the right time to make the decision on when to put their baby into their own room.    
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 11:24pm
HI Charlotte
Once your baby has regained their birth weight and there are no medical conditions, I always try and resettle before feeding overnight. The reason being is so babies are just waking for reassurance and are unable to get back to sleep.   Resettlling overnight is not about not feeding your baby but ensuring that if feeding you are feeding for hunger and not comfort.   I find babies that take a long time to resettle after a night feed actually don't really need that feed so try resettling and see what happens.

Night feeds are 'business' feeds so your baby wakes, feeds, burps and change nappy and then reoffer milk and then back to feed. The feed takes approximately the same time as a daytime feed the difference being is you don't have the social time during the night.    So night feeds are as such your baby wakes, feeds, burps, change nappy, feed and then back to bed.

YOur baby at six weeks will wake through the night ideally the stretches are a little longer than daytime but you baby will be feeding a minimum of 2 1/4 to longer - I never wake a baby that is sleeping at night unless their is a medical reason.    Once your baby goes back to sleep and if you are awake then transfer around the 1 1/4 so that ideally he will wake before 9.00am.

I am not sure what you mean by your lack of confidence - to me sounds like you are doing an awesome job and babies under 12 weeks tend to sleep on a body.
Kylie Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylie Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 10:45am
Hi Dorothy,

Thank you for yesterdays advice. I was the mother talking to you at the end about a grumpy/bad 5month old sleeper. I have a few more questions for you.

1) If he wakes after an hour on a day sleep and won't resettle is that sleep enough to keep him awake for the next recommended 2 1/2 hours or should I put him down earlier?

2) last night we put him down to bed, did the swaddle and "dump" and as usual he started to frantically cry I left him for the 5mins then went in and did the "patted the bum" technique in the cot, he did stop crying after 5mins but this process then continued every hourly - two hourly (I did do a feed at 12.30)At 4am he could not be settled at all with this method he was crying for an hour and a half.....HELP......Is it just perseverance? Or what am I doing wrong? Do I keep "patting the bum" until he is asleep or drowsy?

Thank you
Kylie

3) What was the teething drops/gel called?

4)Do you do in-home visits?
Rachelbatche122052 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachelbatche122052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 12:18pm
Hi Dorothy, thanks for yesterday! My question is my 9 week old often doesn't go down until 8.30pm. We put her down with 1.5 hour awake time so she's usually in bed by 6pm, she'll wake after 30 mins and want to be up until 8.30 which we don't want! We have a 2 year old so ideally they'd both be in bed by 7pm or earlier so I can have a rest. Should we wait this out or how do I change it? My 2 year old always went down from birth early so I don't know if young babies change a late bed time themselves or I do? She's also snack feeding on my boob and I'm finding it hard to make her have a big drink with a longer gap between feeds.
Thanks!
Rebs85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebs85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 2:32pm
Hi Dorothy

Thank you for all the tips yesterday.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on our current situation with our 6 month old.

Up until 3-4 weeks ago he slept from 7-7 with a feed at 10/10.30, he was also able to self settle and resettle during the day and night (apart from a blip from weeks 8-18 when he couldn't stitch together his day sleeps). His day sleeps are 9am (for 45 minutes) 12pm (2/2.15 hours), and a band aid sleep after 3.30 (20 - 45 minutes).

The current situation is that he will wake up during the night at least once, and has woken up twice a few times. When he wakes up he will only resettle if he is rocked in the pram or fed - we have made a point of not having to do either of these things to settle him and he has been able to resettle and self settle by himself until now - and is still fine with his day sleeps. Sometimes giving him paracetemol/bonjella helps. When he is feed during the night he is not interested in his morning milk - which makes me think it's not hunger related.

A few other factors:
- He has been skipping his afternoon band aid sleep more often than not, but will go to bed earlier when this happens.
- He has been 'travelling' in the night and will be in a completely different place in the cot when I go to get him in the morning - he seems unaffected by this though as will often be chatting.
- he may be teething - he has the telltale signs of a face rash, diaper rash (although he has had this for a few months), biting toys etc.
- We started him on solids 3 days ago (has had a teaspoonful each day so far), but this hasn't changed things - eg last night he woke at 10, fed, then had to be held/swayed slightly until 12pm in order for him to sleep, he rewoke at 4:30am but thankfully resettled basically straight away after being given paracetemol and bonjella. Speaking of which, it would be great to see the teething chart/document you mentioned to me after the session!

Also, any tips on making a smooth transition into/out of daylight saving would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help
Becky
Kirsty142341 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirsty142341 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 8:24pm
Hi Dorothy,
Thank you so much for your advice/guidance yesterday.

Quick question: After missing a few days of expressing and my husband being able to give our 8 week old baby girl a bottle, she is now completely refusing until she gets breast fed. She had previously even taken bottles from me.
Help! Advise please for getting her back on the bottle at least once a day....

Thank you

Kirsty
DianaEllis145504 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianaEllis145504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 7:52am
Hi Dorothy,

I'm wondering whether I should be concerned about my 6 month olds reluctance with solids. I started him on solids at 5 months as he was showing lots of signs of readiness, he took to them very well and was eating two small meals, breakfast and dinner each day. A few weeks ago he started refusing and clamping his mouth shut. I tried feeding him off my finger as you suggested and he took a little at one meal. I can occasionally get a little into him at dinner time now but not like i used to. Should I be concerned? Should I keep trying twice a day or leave it a few days? He has been eating home made puréed fruit and veges.
Thanks for your help!
Diana
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 5:25pm
Hi Kylie
My apologises I thought I had answered all the forum questions.

1. If he wakes after an hour I always try and resettle or keep him happy in his cot. If he doesn't resettle then I pick him up after attempting the resettle. I try and work towards the same wake time otherwise everything gets shorter and shorter, however I do listen to my baby and work with the baby.

2. When settling it is about getting your baby to sleep and if it takes longer in the evening than for his naps, I tend to re feed and then start the settling process again.   This is because babies in the evening tend to tank up or cluster feed so he may need this.   Again if he cannot be resettled overnight and this could take up to 45 minutes and this is about you working with him and staying in the room, then you need to feed. The only other options is to leave him in his cot and let him cry or safe co sleeping. Resettling is not about not feeding but about ensuring that if you are feeding that you are feeding for hunger and not comfort.

3The teething gel is traumeel gel and you can either use the gel or the drops. The gel is more effective it is rubbed onto their gums. SOme naturopath's recommend using it on their gums and the others will advise you not to.     Happy to send you my teething chart through - just send me your email address to dorothy@babyhelp.co.nz

4. Yes, I do home visits
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 5:32pm
HI at 9 weeks your baby is ideally having wake times of around 1 1/4 hours and having naps of a minimum of 1 1/2 hours.

When you put her down at 6.00pm how long has she been up for. Has this wake cycle been she wakes, feeds, baths, feeds and then into bed

Are you having a good balanced diet from mid day onwards - protein snacks, protein shakes. You are probably running around and need to up your food intake - see how this helps.

At her age she has the ability to feed within a minimum of 5 minutes (yes I have seen this and the babies have been happy and contented and putting on weight) or she can take as long as 30 minutes.    I would suggest doing both the madonna (1/2 cradle hold) and rugby hold to ensure she is emptying your breasts well and just by changing the position it sometimes gives the baby a renewed interest in the feed.

It is her sleeping cycle that will give you the stretch or dictate how often she feeds and at the moment she will be feeding anywhere between 2 3/4 hours or up to 4 hourly
Dorothy
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 6:59pm
HI Becky
Okay to teach a baby to self settle and resettle you need to have some form of consistency during the day. Offering a 1 sleep cycle at 9.00am and then expecting him to know how to resettle overnight is a little hard. My suggestion would be to do the resettling at this nap time so that when it comes to night time you will be able to resettle a little easier. At 6 months ideally he is on 2 naps a day with a minimum of 1 1/2 hours per nap and having 3 wake times of 3 hours.

Some babies do travel around their cots w hen sleeping and as long as he isn't getting into an unsafe position then its fine. We all move around our beds - not quite as much as a baby but we certainly don't stay in one position all night.

Offering a teaspoon will not curb his hunger, I find that when I introduce solids and if the baby is hungry it is more like a tablespoon.

If you email me at dorothy@babyhelp.co.nz I will send you the teething chart. Also if you want additional information on solids then you can purchase these from my website www.babyhelp.co.nz

Oops sorry missed the daylight saving question but basically one day and you are into the new time zones. It takes a day for every hour difference when you travel so for daylight saving I adopt this theory. however in saying this it always takes longer to adapt to a smaller time change but for daylight it is more about the night being lighter for longer
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 7:01pm
Hi Kirsty
It will take time trust me. I would suggest trying after the evening bath when she is nice and relaxed and just offer very day. Eventually she will take it.     I wonder why you are wanting her to take a bottle and if it is because you are going back to work it is important to realise that a baby may take expressed milk from a bottle, but later down the trace she may not take formula from the bottle.

Once you get her back onto the bottle I would suggest doing a bottle every day
D
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 7:03pm
Hi Diana
Some babies do this and then they will start eating again. I would try the finger feeding and also put the bowl in front of him and see if he wants to feed himself

I would suggest doing cereals for dinner and breakfast and mixing with milk - he may not be ready for the different tastes of veggies and fruit.

I have additional notes on my website for solids www.babyhelp.co.nz

Would I be concerned as long as he is drinking milk and you are offering the solids then I wouldn't not be concerned.
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 7:04pm
Hi Ladies
Thank you for all your questions and hopefully the answers will help you. It was lovely to meet you all at the OHBaby Coffee Catchup.

Remember before you do anything STOP, THINK, and ACT – work out what you are doing, why you are doing, and what you are trying to accomplish and then act.

Remember YOU are the baby’s mum and so listen to your heart and instinct.   Yes, we all don’t do it by the book, or get it right the first time, but you need to make ‘mistakes’ to get it right for you.   It’s a time of learning a little person’s personality and figuring out what works for your home life.

If you have the time I would love to see you pop over to http://www.facebook.com/BabyWithin and 'like' it. You can then keep up with information that I post from time to time or hear from other mothers who write on the wall. Also there is now a “recommendations’ section and it would great to hear your comments.

Please remember as a parent or carer that you should understand and acknowledge that Dorothy is NOT a licensed medical doctor or other licensed medical provider and the information that I share with you has come from experience and working with numerous families and babies and toddlers
 Post Reply Post Reply