FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCoffee Group Catchup - Hamilton 03/11/2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skiltz View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coffee Group Catchup - Hamilton 03/11/2014
    Posted: 03 October 2014 at 8:43am
OHbaby! Coffee Catchup - Hamilton - 20th October. Feel free to ask questions and Dorothy will reply when she can.

Don’t forget to use the code BABY14 to get $10 off your Countdown online shop when you spend over $100, and be in the draw to win a fantastic Countdown hamper worth $100”

Sponsored Links

Melanie162513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melanie162513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 9:38am
Not sure if I'm doing this correctly for Dorothy to see but here goes.

Most of my questions are sleep related. My son is 17 weeks old tomorrow if that assists with any responses.

1. You mentioned it takes 20 minutes for a baby to fall asleep. Are you meant to sit with them that whole 20 minutes and are you meant to be doing the cupping and engulf hold the whole 20 minutes?

2. With resettling he wakes up at the 45 minute mark and sometimes after resettling he continues to require resettling each 10 mins after that. How long do you continue doing that before you call sleep time over? Or am I doing something wrong?

3. How awake is too awake to resettle (or does this theory not exist)?

4. Our baby sleeps in a bassinette in our bedroom. When he has woken up too much and starts crying he disturbs my husband who needs his sleep for work. Would it be better, from a resettling point of view, to have the baby sleeping in his own room?

5. How do you get your baby to just have a power-nap so they don't go to bed too early at night? Is it just a matter of lightly disturbing them (i.e. pulling back the curtains)?

6. When I am out and about (i.e. at a Plunket course that goes for 2 hours for example with a drive time of 30 minutes each way) my baby just won't sleep. He is quite an alert and active baby when awake. Is there any way I can encourage him to sleep without him disturbing the event too much?

Thanks.
Mummy2Boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummy2Boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 9:43am
Hi Dorothy,

Monday was great - just wondering what you advise re catnapping - my boy is 16 weeks and most of the time isnt even doing the 45 min sleep cycle - I dont think he is getting enough sleep during the day and strangely enough he sleeps thru the night. He is mix bottle fed - I pump what I can but will soon be stopping that and going full formula.

He is generally up 2 hours after waking in the morning which might be a bit long, but have to work around daycare drop off for my eldest boy and things like playgroup.

I have thought about walking down to daycare now its summer but my eldest struggles to walk the distance and I dont have a double buggy.

I dont have any luck most of the time resettling him.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Melanie162513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 9:51am
Yes, sorry! Monday was awesome.....it was great to hear your talk on Monday. I had read your article in Issue 24 of OH Baby on curbing catnapping and it was great to hear more on this and other topics!

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummy2Boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 9:55am
Do you know how I can get a copy of that article Melanie - dont have the mag! Our boys sound similar - about a week apart by the sounds!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melanie162513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 11:07am
I could take a pic and email it to you?

Yep sounds like they have the same catnapping issue. I"m about at day 5-ish of trying to change it. Its so frustrating because I get nothing done...   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummy2Boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 1:04pm
Yes please! My email is nicolerutter78@hotmail.com
Thanks so much!
Ginnie155332 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginnie155332 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 4:05pm
I'm hoping this works fingers crossed!
Hey Dorothy

I've been trying the engulfing hold and resettling techniques you were talking about with my 7 week old bubs who was a pretty good sleeper anyway, I'm not sure that i'm using the technique correctly as i now can't get him to sleep for longer than an hour during the day.
If you let them settle in your arms is it still ok to put them into their own bed once they are completely asleep? Or if i'm wanting him to sleep in his own bed should i stop with the hold and just use the resettling techniques in his bed??
So kind of go back to putting him down drouzy with tried signs as they happen bang on his hour mark everytime then leave him for the minute and then go and resettle for the minute then leave and continue as you would with him in your arms??? or do you put him to bed then leave if he doesnt settle go to him keep him in his bed turn him on his side and use the resettling techniques until he is asleep then pop him on his back and wait for that 20 mins??

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions
Ginnie
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2014 at 9:43pm
Hi Ladies
My apologises for not answering your questions but I have been sick. Back up and running not quite up to 100% but please bear with me and will answer you questions over this week
Dorothy
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2014 at 7:26pm
HI Melanie
1. In my experience it takes around 20 minutes for a baby to fall asleep so when you are teaching a baby to self settle its about giving them the right and ability to find their sleep and intervening when you feel it is right.   So for a baby at 17 weeks I would either be doing it in arms or if in the cot following a settling routine like this

Top up and then sleeping bag and into bed
Leave for up to 5 minutes
Comfort - reassure this is cupping, shushing, dummy - it is normally shorter than the leaving time
Comfort - reassure this is cupping, shushing, dummy - it is normally shorter than the leaving time
Stay in the room cupping shushing dummy until he falls asleep.    

Leaving him for up to 5 minutes is not about him screaming at the top of his lungs but ideally is an off/ on cry and it is important you intervene when you feel it is right rather than saying to yourself i cant go in as Dorothy said to wait 5 minutes and you are beside yourself.

2. So self settling is about stopping and starting whereas resettling is about staying in the room cupping/shushing dummy until they go into a deep sleep. With resettling you could be there keeping him asleep for 45 minutes

3.   As they grow I step back and leave them for up to 20 minutes to resettle (around 6 months plus) so if they wake too much its just harder work to get them back to sleep.

4. Personal choice but either dad needs to move or the baby as you are right the dad does need his sleep.   Just ensure you have a good monitor - noise, movement and camera on him and you will feel okay about it

5. Just wake them - however if he is having wake times of around 2 hours and napping for a minimum of 1 1/2 hours he probably doesn't need a band aid nap before the evening routine

6. Just time once he leaves to self settle and resettle it will be easier but I tend to sleep them in my arms when out and about if they wont sleep in their buggy

DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2014 at 7:29pm
Hi all babies catnap or the majority do.   In my experience it is better to take the time and teach and support him to resettle so that when he wakes in the night he knows how to resettle.

At 16 weeks ideally his wake times are 2 hours and having naps of a minimum of 1 1/2 hours so you are right on trace with the 2 hour wake time you mentioned.

Resettling is tough, check his room is dark as sometimes babies who are light sensitive will not resettle if the room is not dark enough
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2014 at 7:29pm
Hi did you get a copy of the article
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2014 at 7:35pm
HI never change anything that works for you - As long as whatever you are doing you can look forward and see what or how you will be doing the same techniques when they are older.

So at 7 weeks his wake times will be around 45 minutes to an hour so as you are wanting to settle in the cot I would do something like this

Swaddle and into cot - close curtains
Leave the room
Leave to cry for up to 1 minute (cry to me is grizzle)
Pick up and burp
Back to bed and then you have options
1. stay in the room and leave your hands on him or stay in the room and step back
2. Leave the room

Leave for up to 5 minutes ( this is an off and on cry - you wouldn't leave him if it was constant or loud)
Comfort - reassure with cupping, shushing, dummy if he doesn't respond then stop leave hands on or step back or leave the room

Leave for up to 5 minutes ( this is an off and on cry - you wouldn't leave him if it was constant or loud)
Comfort - reassure with cupping, shushing, dummy if he doesn't respond then stop leave hands on or step back or leave the room

Comfort - reassure with cupping, shushing, dummy and continue to do this if he hasn't gone to sleep - ideally this step happens earlier when both you and the baby connect.   At any time you can do this in arms - I tend to do all my setting and resettling in arms for babies under 12 weeks.
DorothyW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DorothyW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2014 at 7:36pm
Hi Ladies
Thank you for all your questions and hopefully the answers will help you. It was lovely to meet you all at the OHBaby Coffee Catchup.

Remember before you do anything STOP, THINK, and ACT – work out what you are doing, why you are doing, and what you are trying to accomplish and then act.

Remember YOU are the baby’s mum and so listen to your heart and instinct.   Yes, we all don’t do it by the book, or get it right the first time, but you need to make ‘mistakes’ to get it right for you.   It’s a time of learning a little person’s personality and figuring out what works for your home life.

If you have the time I would love to see you pop over to http://www.facebook.com/BabyWithin and 'like' it. You can then keep up with information that I post from time to time or hear from other mothers who write on the wall. Also there is now a “recommendations’ section and it would great to hear your comments.

Please remember as a parent or carer that you should understand and acknowledge that Dorothy is NOT a licensed medical doctor or other licensed medical provider and the information that I share with you has come from experience and working with numerous families and babies and toddlers
 Post Reply Post Reply