FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStruggling with return to work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evlmis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evlmis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Struggling with return to work
    Posted: 13 July 2015 at 3:20pm
Hi everyone, I wonder if you can help me.

I returned to work 4 days a week in May this year and I am really struggling with work. I feel like I am not contributing what I used to be able to, and my enthusiasm for it has all but gone. I have come back to a hugely changed role and organisation due to a merger while I was on maternity leave. I am grateful I wasn't made redundant but I am really struggling to learn all of the new processes and systems (this was never a problem before, I am usually the first to pick things up).

I have a demanding job managing clients with complex needs and so far I cannot get my work done 4 days, then this leads to issues on my day off (that my colleagues have to sort) or dramas when I get back to the office. And I am really really trying to stick to my days and hours so I still have my family time and some rest.

Does anyone have any ideas to get my mojo back or tips for managing my time at work better? I'm normally very organised and methodical but I truely feel like everything has changed for me since having my wee girl almost a year ago. I really feel like my brain has changed.

Please let me know if you have experienced similar and what you did, thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

Nellennium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nellennium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 3:34pm
Sounds like you're trying to fit a full time job into 4 days? Have they restructured your work load to fit?

I went back to 4 days, but I only took 4 months off work due to needing the income. But even then lots had changed!

I still struggle to fit all my work in and I actually asked to keep my maternity cover person. So now there is 2 of us doing the job I used to do by myself. I was actually very very over worked before maternity leave so it made sense.

Maybe you're not getting up to speed and learning the new processes because they are actually expecting to much of you?
evlmis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evlmis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 9:24am
I think you are probably right. I might need to give it another month or two and see if it settles. If it doesn't settle I will have to talk to my boss and see if I can shift a few clients to some one else. My work hasn't really had to deal with mums returning to work or staff working reduced hours, it typically has a slightly older workforce in my role anyway. So it's hard for them to adjust to as well. Thanks heaps, it's nice to have someone impartial review how I'm feeling.
 Post Reply Post Reply