New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any recent C section experiences at Auckland Hosp?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAny recent C section experiences at Auckland Hosp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Charlie6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any recent C section experiences at Auckland Hosp?
    Posted: 27 November 2015 at 4:29pm
Hi everyone, I'm a FTM and have found out that we will need to have a csection early January due to placenta previa... Bit nervous about the procedure and the recovery time etc. would love to hear any experiences?
Sponsored Links

Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 8:09pm
Hi Charlie - my son was c-section (North Shore, but much the same).
We had to turn up at 7 am to the ward, where we changed into my gown and pressure socks and hubby in scrubs.Hang around a while, as there was a bad emergency csection just before me (thankfully that turned out fine), then we were wheeled down at 10am. The anaesthetist came and had a few words, and put the lure into my hand so they could control my drug levels etc, then we went into the actually op suite. Lots of nurses, couple of doctors, very crowded room! Hubby was shown a chair a bit behind and to the side of me, and had the epidural put in. I didn't react very well to this, so was def the worst part for me! After that they tested to make sure the epidural was working properly, then put up the curtain and started. Was very relieved after they confirmed they had started as I couldn't feel anything - just a bit of tugging (always a bit of a fear!).
Actually delivery was also a bit uncomfy as they pushed hard up top so baby popped out - def felt him emerge with the change in pressure! (no pain, just lots of pressure!!). I got a quick look, then they took him to the side to check he was ok. Hubby cut cord and bub needed some oxygen as he got a bit shocked, but pinked up nicely and was given back to me to hold around 7 mins after birth. I cuddled him (skin on skin) until they finished sewing me up (lost track of what doc was doing at that stage as too busy with bub!). Then hubby took him out to the recovery room while they finished up with me and transferred me back onto the bed (probably worse modestly-moment with male orderlies lifting my under-mat on both sides with me splayed half naked, painted with iodine, and shaved down below lol - just gotta laugh). Was breastfeeding in the recovery room, and while being wheeled back to my shared room later.

Recovery - the first 2 days were def the worst. Hubby changed the nappies as getting up and down from chair was very hard by myself, let alone holding our son. So I'd feed a side, hubby would do nappy change, and I'd feed the other side without having to get up. Also had to hold tummy whenever I laughed or sneezed. After this I managed fine (if somewhat gingerly) by myself. Would advise setting up home so you don't have to lift anything bending over (like use a bassinet that isn't really deep so you have to bend down to pick up bubs). Also, walking normally helps get you back on track too (not bending over oddly).

We transferred up to Warkworth birthing centre the day after birth, which was really, really good - hubby could stay the first night, and had nurses to help that weren't overworked so actually came in a decent time frame!

Hope this helps and isn't TMI! Bit of a brain-dump from me :)
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
Charlie6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 9:05pm
Thanks Mushroom 😊 good to hear it went okay and the recovery wasn't too bad!
Indigo Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indigo Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 9:05pm
Hi Charlie6 I'm not in Auckland but I did have a c section so thought I'd add my two cents :)
I had an emergency c section not a planned one, but found the recovery very easy! I was up the next day hooning around and feeling pretty good, I had morphine tablets still but within 36 hours I was just having nurophen and panadol and coping just dandy.. I was at 80% recovery by 36 hours and I'd say 99% by the end of the first week. My point is, I really don't think c section was that bad at all.. Goodluck you'll be absolutely fine! X
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/47d5e3/%5dhttp://FertilityFriend.com/home/47d5e3/%5b/url%5d
Lulue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2015 at 10:14pm
Hi Charlie, I'm glad you asked this question as we could well be going down this path also and will be at Auckland so I'm interested in the responses... It's the recovery that really worries me so I'm glad to hear a couple of you ladies managed ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply