FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedstarting a business while on maternity leave

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LP pka Rainyday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP pka Rainyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starting a business while on maternity leave
    Posted: 03 March 2016 at 6:58pm
I qualify for paid leave (18 weeks by the time I have baby) between now and then it's possible I'll be starting a small business.
How does that work work maternity pay?

Hoping there's an expert around cos looking it up was too hard!
6 MC angels
DS born 04.01.14
DD born sleeping 09.05.16 22w5d
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP pka Rainyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2016 at 7:25pm
Ps I intend to go back to my current job after maternity leave
6 MC angels
DS born 04.01.14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LP pka Rainyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2016 at 11:52am
Bump. Anyone?
6 MC angels
DS born 04.01.14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LP pka Rainyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2016 at 3:17pm
So I rang employment nz & as long as business is not related to current employment I can still get paid leave while continuing to work on my business!! Yay. That's the answer I wanted.
For those that work multiple jobs from next week government are making changes that you can combine your income to qualify for the max PPL payments.

Edited by LP pka Rainyday - 07 March 2016 at 3:17pm
6 MC angels
DS born 04.01.14
Max265389 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max265389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2021 at 11:49am
as for me I always use tax calculator as you will have to pay taxes running a small business
NicholasBlak252766 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NicholasBlak252766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2021 at 5:28pm
It is not very hard to calculate taxes, especially if you run a small business like mine. First, we calculate your adjusted gross income (AGI) by taking your total household income and reducing it by certain items such as contributions. Next, from AGI we subtract exemptions and deductions (either itemized or standard) to get your taxable income. In the past, I was paying an accountant to calculate them, but now I found a site that helps me to calculate them. Now I can save some money and this is a very good opportunity for a small business to grow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan265338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 4:38pm
Hi! Could it possible if I join to your wonderful conversation? Actually, I can say that starting a business on this stage is not so reasonable. Besides, I can say that you should find a permanent job in order to collect some extra money. In my case, I hadn't opportunity to work because of quarantine and, therefore, I didn't have a chance to spend money on stuffs I wanted. Nevertheless, at the same time there has always been an opportunity to find a good job, so I looked at this source https://uk.jooble.org/jobs-long-distance-van-driver where there are lots of vacancies. I sent a resume, so now I'm fully employed. Wish you will do the same thing!
 Post Reply Post Reply