FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSpeech delay in 2.5yo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mummabear16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummabear16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speech delay in 2.5yo
    Posted: 10 June 2016 at 4:13pm
Hi there!

I guess I'm posting this in the hope that someone has gone/is going through something similar.

I have a wonderful 2.5 yo daughter (3 in September), whose speech is slightly delayed. Her understanding is 100%, which I am very thankful for. She has no problem with single words, and says very few 2 word sentences, but that's about it. Now it's getting to the point where she is beginning to get frustrated that she can't communicate, especially when she's around friends her age, whom the majority can talk fairly well. Her hearing has already been checked as well (with a great result).

So I guess I'm wondering what else I could be doing at home, or when is the point where I need to start taking this further? I've already talked to her kindy head teacher, who wants to give her more time, and Plunket, who aren't interested until she's 3.5 (which seems far too long for me).

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links

babybelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2016 at 5:11pm
Hello,

Just browsing and came across this post - I know its a couple of months old so hopefully you've noticed progress. But I know it can be really hard to see you lovely little person getting frustrated and not being able to get their message across. Where in NZ are you? IF you still have concerns then feel free to reply again and I can try and give you some ideas (I'm a speech therapist). You can also always ring your local Special Education office and talk through your concerns.
Mummabear16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummabear16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2016 at 5:17pm
Hi babybelly!

We have noticed progress with our now 3yo since the original post. She's definitely improving, but taking her time improving (if that makes sense lol). Our kindy has put in a referral for the Early Intervention team, so it'll be interesting to see if they are particularly worried or not. I guess our main thing/concern is that we would want it sorted by school of course, which I know is still a good couple of years away, but the waiting list to see a speech therapist down here is super long (from what I've been told).
We're in Wellington (Hutt Valley).
Thank you for replying! It means a lot

Post Reply Post Reply