FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTips for Breastfeeding and Milk Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920
Author
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 5:37pm
I would avoid it if possible, formula (thats not needed) can cause havoc on their gut. Iwould try to express one extra feed, JIC its needed. Often babies wont feed much when they are used to being breastfed and will wait till your back if possible, so you prob wont need it anyway.
Give your mum some info on formula and whats in it, and why BM is what babes are ment to have, hopefully she will understand.
Of course if she gets stuck with no milk she can always nip down to the supermarket and buy a single sachet if its needed

+1 May 09 Angel
Sponsored Links

mummadiamonds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummadiamonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 7:21pm
Hi Ladies. I hope some of you second time mummies can answer a wee breastfeeding question I have. Due to have number 2 in 9 weeks so the countdown is on!

With my first birth two days after the bf advisor realised that i hadnt yet started producing colostrum so my baby was starving, I was put on pumps and later that night the colostrum came in, I had to keep pumping and eventually two more days later the milk came in. I know its normal for milk to take a few days but i always thought thats what the colostrum was for to kind of "get them through" until the milk.

I have been told by a couple of friends to start expressing about 36 weeks just once a day jsut until i can see the colostrum just so what when bubs arrives he only needs to do a few sucks to start getting the reward....

What do you think? Have any of you done this or had similar situations? The nurses had to give my first born a milk substitute via a seringe on night 2 as he was needing something, I was devistated that his first feed wasnt from me so want to avoid having the "no colostrum" thing again this time.

And advice would be much appreciated xxxx
Grifanz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grifanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2012 at 9:51pm
Hello,

I strongly recommend that you don't start expressing, hand or using a pump at all before baby is born. Any nipple stimulation from expressing could cause you to go into preterm labour.

If no colostrum is being produced, baby can still latch to stimulate the milk to come in and baby does have enough stores to last for a while.

All the best
Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Grifanz Grifanz wrote:

Hello,

I strongly recommend that you don't start expressing, hand or using a pump at all before baby is born. Any nipple stimulation from expressing could cause you to go into preterm labour.

If no colostrum is being produced, baby can still latch to stimulate the milk to come in and baby does have enough stores to last for a while.

All the best
No, colostrum harvesting/pre birth nipple stimulation is fine (otherwise you would never hear of anything like tandem feeding). This is my second pregnancy where I've started colostrum harvesting, 10 mins per night, a combination of Marmet Method (on youtube there is a tutorial) and electric breast pump. I thoroughly recommend it for Gestational Diabetes mums like myself, especially if baby is going to possibly have wonky blood sugars after birth and need that bit extra.
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
bealaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bealaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 3:35pm
Hi everyone! My situation is that I have a 18 month old and a % month old. My partner goes to work all day so I do all the house work and everything the girls. I had to put my youngest on formula because I'm only making enough milk for a short feed in the middle of the night. I hate not being able to feed my baby and it's really getting me down. Does anyone one have any suhestions on what I can do to build up my supply? I'm really tired because Madelyn doesn't sleep through yet, Is it because I'm just worn out?
mclainpauline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mclainpauline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 8:10pm
Breastfeeding is best to prevent the illness, allergic conditions and the childhood diabetes to babies. Breast milk is particular much essential for the development of babies brains. So, It is convenient.
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 9:36am
Bealaa I take blessed thistle and fenugreek (spelling) and I really think this helped my volume and quality!

Also I was told by ALL midwives (I was on the maternity ward for over a week pre-birth) and two lactation consultants that any nipple stimulation for harvesting could induce labour. They do not recommend it at all before 36 weeks
Mummyinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummyinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2013 at 9:08pm
Re Nipple stimulation be very careful i thought it would be fun to have a play with my shiny new breast pump at 34 weeks and caused my self to have two big painful contractions, got in big trouble from my midwife who told me to leave it alone til i was ready to have a baby lol....
Ready to try for our Winter Wildling to join Louie and Scarlett our Autumn and Summer Babies

Speedfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2013 at 1:13pm
That is really interesting as i had to start colostrum harvesting at 34 weeks due to Gestational Diabetes, on recommendation of the diabetic midwives at CHC Women's. I managed to get off 12mls, I was really grateful for this because i ended up having her at 36 weeks, 5 days due to pre eclampsia and baby was in the lower 5th percentile. Bubs has never ever had anything but my breast milk and my milk was down within 18 hours after she was born.
sumitasofat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sumitasofat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2015 at 9:12pm
All have shared very good helpful stuff. :)
LeslieGlass210301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeslieGlass210301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2016 at 5:22pm
There are lots of valuable tips in this thread about breastfeeding. But, I prefer to use manual breast pumps.The process of extracting and storing milk in it is easier than the traditional method. So, this era mothers should use it to feed their baby.
Jenny201028 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny201028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 11:11pm
I have a nice experience of increasing my low milk supply when baby was just three months old. A friend suggested a natural remedy that was healthy nursing tea. I was producing maximum 2 oz per session but after three days of this tea, I increased from 2 to 4 oz and in coming days, it went up to 6 oz a session.
JessicaCobai221444 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessicaCobai221444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 8:32pm
Top 10 Tips for Boosting Your Breast Milk Supply

1. Nurse, Nurse, Nurse
   -The more your little one nurses, the more milk your body will create.
2. Pump After Nursing
   -Even if you’re going to be a stay-at-home mom, pumping after nursing   will help boost your production and give you some milk to have on hand if you want to take a nap or go out for a quick breather.
3. Check the Latch
   Without a proper latch it’s impossible for baby to entirely drain your breast.
4. Switch Sides
   -Make sure baby nurses from both breasts during each nursing session.
5. Lose the Binky
   Any time that your baby spends sucking on a pacifier is time lost on stimulating your milk production.
6. Check in with a Lactation Consultant
7. Wear the Right Bra
8. Eat Oatmeal
    -Oats are a milk-making miracle food.
9. Avoid Hormonal Birth Control
10. Go on Vacation
jenniferluke234005 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenniferluke234005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2019 at 9:54pm
If you need help with breastfeeding you can take help and instructions from newborn care guidelines program, this is the perfect guide I must say.
jenniferluke234005 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenniferluke234005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 10:48am
Need help with breastfeeding, join Abudo newborn care guidelines program, they have the perfect guidelines.
Sumitra265955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sumitra265955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2020 at 7:26am
We’re here to make breastfeeding a little easier and more comfortable for mothers to breastfeed their babies by providing products you can count on, and hopefully help you succeed in your breastfeeding journey however long you and your little one choose to.
Milk Baby is Australia's No 1. breastfeeding products online store. Purchase high quality from our wide range of breastfeeding products. Explore now!
We offer best bamboo reusable breast pads Australia wide. We have eco-friendly reusable breast pads made from organic cotton. Visit us to explore.

roberto265834 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roberto265834 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 11:19am
Thanks for sharing all awesome and valuable tips for making breastfeeding easier. Many new mums face problems while breastfeeding due to not proper sitting arrangement which causes back pain. While breastfeeding mothers need good back support and nurture& reclining nursery glider do this thing excellently. Its reclining movement makes breastfeeding easy for the mother.
Diana266453 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diana266453 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2021 at 4:58pm
Oh my god, so many cool tips! Thank you girls!
Philipp267088 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philipp267088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2021 at 12:16am
Thank you all for the helpful advice. This is very important for me now. I have no problems with breast milk, but I plan to start weaning my baby from breastfeeding at 12 months. Now I am studying information about milk formulas. Now I opted for Holle Stage 4, on https://thebestfromjapan.com/holle-cows-milk-formula-4-baby there is a detailed description about the ingredients, but it says that this formula can be used as a supplement to breast milk. Is it possible for her to fully replace breastfeeding? Does anyone have this experience?

Edited by Philipp267088 - 27 April 2021 at 8:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920