FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedActually Doing the MCN Thing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actually Doing the MCN Thing
    Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:51am
rather than just thinking about it...

I went to the Cloth Nappy expo which was held at Grey Lynn recently which further strengthened my resolve to go down the MCN route for our first child (due in June) and DH fully supports this as well. Environmental and cost factors are the main reasons.

After the expo I was quite taken by the idea of having a hire kit for when bubs is born so I find out which is the best for her. Now, I can see a fatal flaw in this idea and that is - because I have never had a baby before I have NO IDEA what it is going to be like in terms of nappies and all that. People have been telling me that I'll never do the cloth nappy thing as it will be "too hard" i.e. I'll end up taking the path of least resistance with the disposables because they are already there in packets. Nice and easy. I don't have anything against using disposables on occasions - in fact the person I spoke to at the Expo said to use them for the first few weeks while the feeding/changing pattern is established.

So, my question is should I go with the hire kit and hope that I can keep my resolve or should I purchase some different sorts now so that they are there when the baby is born - all ready to go. Any advice is much appreciated I kind of want to go with the second option, but I realise that there is going to be a considerable outlay of cash and it would be such a bummer if the ones I got were no good for the baby.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 9:55am
Sorry i cant help on experience but if i was due and having a first i would go for the hire kit i think there are a few out there that you can try?

Maybe someone else can enlighten?
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 10:02am
where abouts are you in Auckland? If you are in Waitakere the council has just set up a hire kit scheme PM me if you want more info. I would assume that you could book your trial to start around your due date, I think the hire period is 7 weeks so even if you're late you'll still have a fair amount of time to try them all out.

Before I settled on my choice of MCN, I did heaps of research on the nappy network and made my descision based on feedback on there.

There are nappies out there that are just as easy to use as sposies (like an all in one for example).
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 10:16am
Hire kit.

But I'd also start putting money in an account or in a money box to fund nappy addiction.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 1:33pm
A hire kit is a great idea if you are not sure which ones you would like to go for.

Where abouts in Auckland are you?

(I also second starting a fund for the addiction!)

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 1:40pm
I'm due my first in August and I have decided definately to go cloth!!! In fact I dont know of anyone going disposable now. We have researched and researched and I think I have finally decided to go with Swaddlebees....they are sooooo cute and soooo simple to use. I cant imagine disposables being any simpler. There is a great website for a chch shop but the ship overseas and you can email them for advice. www.mumandbubs.co.nz

Stick to your guns!!!!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 1:46pm
You could also find someone who is a cloth addict who lives in the same area and have a nosey at what they have. I don't even have a baby yet and have 4 types and probably far too many nappies hehe
1apple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1apple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 2:15pm
We live in Orakei. Thanks for the advice - I just keep thinking that if I had some (a combination - like you have Stacey) then it just seems that it would be easier. I don't know!! The hire kits seem like a really good idea though but I think if I had my own there and all ready then I would use them.

I can't seem to make any decisions at the moment - must be this "baby brain" that everyone talks about (A little off topic - but the same goes for my sense of direction just lately).

I'll keep thinking about it. And yes, I think it is just a matter of sticking to your guns - you wouldn't believe the amount of people who have said "oh, you won't do that..."
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 3:29pm
your talking to the wrong people.....talk to us
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 5:27pm
I know what I'm like thats why I started buying now (and can't stop lol). First I figured out which type of nappy would work best for me and I found that I think pockets are awesome because you can customise how much and what you stuff them with and then just read up about what ones are best or what ones I really seemed to like (I like Fuzzi's and Tweedles)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 10:53am
I did the same as Stacey - did alot of research online, then purchased a few different types. I also decided pockets would probably be the best for me, but have purchased a couple of napnaps to try too (fitted) - but I have kinda gone off them now (although the night nap looks good). I first bought mainly fizzi's plus a few peadpods, and now I've ordered some Bum Genius to try too ..... yep, addicted already and I don't have a baby yet!! I hope I do use them!!!??

I wanted to buy them all beforehand, while we still have two incomes, and so I don't have to worry about it after bub is born - they'll be all ready to go. I've even been washing the inserts ready.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
 Post Reply Post Reply