FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedslow cooker recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 2:22pm
i think a recipes sticky would be great, that way i can come on here when i have no inspiration (haha, like i really need another excuse to be on here).

oooh, a 7L one sounds great, i may have to go have a look at the warehouse. i love having meals in the freezer that i can just pull out and reheat. from the sounds of it, the ones on trsdeme aren't that much cheaper if you include postage in the total price. i think i'm going to have to splash out and buy myself a new one.

Sponsored Links

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 4:51pm
Just got myself a slow cooker from farmers 5.5ltr was the biggest they had but it looks big enough for what i need. Frozen dinners would be great but they tend to get forgotten about around here.

Maybe a recipe area would be good so each recipe is a new post and people can rate it or discuss it below? Just one thread might get long and hard to find each individual recipe. Just an idea anyway
ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 7:12pm
how much was the slow cooker you bought from farmers? sorry if i'm being nosy, i'm just sort of scouting around and checking out prices at the moment.

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 7:27pm
I got the sunbeam one for $79.99 its normally $99.99 but they have 20% discount at the moment
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 8:12pm
What does everyone use for sauces? Last winter I bought lots of those 'just add chicken' sauces and put diced chicken, chopped veges and a sauce on in the morning then dinner was ready when we got home at night. I like the ease of one pot meals but am running out of ideas for flavouring it all.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 8:28pm
I quite often make my own with just stock, worcester sauce and tomato sauce, and sometimes some gravox or something to thicken it a little, but I also use the Maggi Cook in the Pot sachets, and there are literally dozens of different choices.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 1:34pm
yup I am like Emma and use the Maggi cook in pot in my crock pot as well, I live for the crock pot in winter it is the best thing I brought and great when you have new bubs in the house as you don't have to worry about the witching hour!!! i do corn beef in mine all the time it is yum and just falls apart so tender.
Leish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 1:40pm
I have to try some of that maggi stuff. Sounds good. zi am trying lasagne in ours today. Looks good so far.
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2007 at 3:02pm
I got my crockpot from Flybuys - a 5.5L Breville one. I'm still getting used to it. The other day was great though - chopped up some chicken thighs, added a jar of sweet and sour sauce (had bamboo shoots, carrots etc in it) and turned it on high at lunchtime, around 6pm added some mushrooms, broccoli, etc and by the time DF came home at 6.45pm, it was done (I served it with rice) and he thought it was sooooooo yummy.

With chicken, do you leave it on low all day, or turn it on to high at lunchtime? I put it on high at lunchtime because I was told that on low all day it sits at the "dangerous" temperature for too long.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 1:02pm
A recipe sticky would be great. I love cooking when I can decide just what I want to cook. Most of my dilemna is "what shall i make today". DF does most of our cooking but I really need to step it up. Feel I am not doing my share.

Love the crockpot as I almost never feel like cooking in the evening but often feel like preparing something earlier. I want to be an expert by the time bubs comes along so BRING ON THE RECIPES!!!
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 2:25pm
with red meat, I usally just cut the meat into chunks, add 1 tin of tomatos in juice, 1 cup beef stock, some herbs (mixed herbs etc) and veges. I always cook the onion up first in a pan, I think it gives it a better flavour. Or you can add a tin of soup instead of tin tomatos, mushroom soup is nice as is pumpkin
My fav chicken one is Hungarian chicken
6 large chick pieces 9or 4-500gram breast chopped
1/4c flour, onion, garlic, 1.1/2 tsp chick stock, tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/4c water, tin tomatos
coat chick with flour and put in pot sprinkling remaining flour over top.
Fry onion & garlic till clear, then add into frying pan chick stock, paprika, soy sauce, water, tomatos...mix
pour over chick
Cover with lid and cook on low/auto for 5-7 hrs or high for 3.
yum yum yum

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 3:01pm
wow and I thought I would be struggling to get a reply to this post! thanks everyone, some great ideas. I know my crockpot is a 5lt and was down to $50 from $120 or something like that so was a bargin at bricscoes.
so in a crockpot is high kind of a medium stovetop temperature or would it be lower?
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2007 at 4:51pm
I think lower, most receipes that call for high still take anything from 3-5 hours so I would say it is a low on the stovetop, like a slow simmer

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 7:06pm
Well i finally used my slow cooker. I have make cook in the pot devilled sausages since i came home from work at lunch time with the flu. It smells great and i cant wait to try it just waiting for the potatoes to finish cooking
Mookey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mookey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2007 at 8:05pm
We get a good cut of roast beef, slice an onion and garlic and place it in the cooker, then place the roast on top and sprinkle with cracked pepper and sea salt, then add a dash of red wine vinagar mixed with a stock cube then leave it on low for 7-8 hours. Then make a red wine gravy with the onions at the end of cooking. Blooooooody lovely.
       CUSHYTUSH.CO.NZ
photomaxmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photomaxmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2007 at 12:04pm

Steak & Kidney casserole is a fav in our house, my kids dont even know they are eating the kidney,  i coat meat in seasoned flour, give a quick fry in large pan to brown then put into crock pot,  i also quickly then soften diced onion in the same pan, add two cups beef stock, a couple of tablespoons of worcester sauce and a table spoon or two of mustard (or 1 teaspoon mustard powder) then pour over meat and slow cook 7 - 8 hours.  my Hubby absolutely goes nuts for this.

you can even cook a sheet of pastry at the end of it and cut into slices so the kids think they are having a pie.

SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 12:39pm
Masterfoods Honey Lamb casserole - made this with lamb shanks yesterday, threw it all in the crock pot and ready 7 hrs later! I used a stick blender to whizz up the sauce/chickpeas which makes a really nice sauce to spoon over the shanks and potatoes/couscous.

Also good as a casserole.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12