FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"waxy" build up on fleece with EcoStore?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "waxy" build up on fleece with EcoStore?
    Posted: 28 May 2007 at 12:44pm
Has anyone had any experience with this?

I've just been to see a customer who has MOULDY fleece she only uses EcoStore powder and strips them with the oxywhitener (I've told her about the white vinegar and baking soda and the washing up liquid treatments but none of those have helped at all)

Everything she tells me she's doing would never allow for mould (looks like black mildew spots) to set in and the fleece feels like it has a waxy coating

I've never heard of this problem before
Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 12:48pm
How long are they being left between washes?
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 12:49pm
No.... but maybe it has something to do with the temperature of the wash or how they are dried?
Are they dried thoroughly before use?

Edited by Glow
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 1:18pm
That sounds nasty. Might wanna kill that mould with janola or something because just washing doesn't kill it. But no idea on why it would happen. Randomly weird but agree it might be something to do with how they are dried.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 2:23pm
Hmmmmm are you sure she is being totally honest with how she washes them? sorry to ask but....

I've only ever used eco store and never had anything like that....

either that or it is something to do with how they are dried. Is she throughly drying them?

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 2:27pm
Dettol laundry rinse should kill the mould?
Also, where are they being stored between uses? In our old flat we got mould growing on some sheets that were stored in the bottom of a cupboard off the laundry.
I agree with Teresa too, my brother ruined a few naps by leaving them dirty in the bucket when he went away for a long weekend. They were furry and so stinky when he got back.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 2:44pm
APPARENTLY…..
She’s washing them daily, uses nappy sprayer to get rid of poo and rinses them to get rid of the wees, she hot washes with ½ recommended amount of Ecostore powder (even though we say Ecostore can be used at recommended amount as it is not a synthetic and shouldn’t build up on fleece), line dries them immediately. Stored under change station, only uses Ecostore nappy balm. So everything she is doing should never let mould set in!

Personally, I don’t believe her! I know that’s a horrid thing to say but I’m a shocker for looking after my nappies! As Mum has Caitlin during the day for 4 days a week we only have her night nappy and a few from the weekend to wash and if I haven’t got a full load of washing to put on I just let it all build up. So those nappies could be sitting in a dry pail for 3 days (rinsed), I use persil and dry them on the line in the garage (unless I’m home and I can keep an eye on the line, our washing line is open to the road and I’m paranoid someone will pinch her nappies! Lol)
I’ve only stripped her nappies a handful of times over the past 10 months and I’ve NEVER had product build up, smelly nappies or leaks and I’ve certainly never had mould grow on them!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 3:50pm
All I can think of is not a thorough line-dry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 3:57pm
perhaps, but that doesn't explain the serious build up though. You can actually feel it on your skin after rubbing the fleece against you hand
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 4:41pm
sounds like the build up you might get from fabric softener.?
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 7:27pm
She's not plastering on the nappy balm? And then not using enough detergent?
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by gandt gandt wrote:

sounds like the build up you might get from fabric softener.?

That's what it sounds like to me too.

Hubby "helping"??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 9:01am
WHO KNOWS?!?!?!?

I spent ages last night scrubbing the nappies and went through a whole bottle of washing up liquid. I've left them like that over night and will put through a couple of hot washes (no powder) and see what happens.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 11:03am
Just my 2 cents this came ti me last night after I turned the computer off. Maybe she washing other stuff with different powder??? And there is residue in the machine??
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 11:08am
We've eliminated that too, she says she cleaned the drum twice as it might have been that as she has been using normal persil fro the rest of her washing, but she also said it is a new machine

I know the customer is always right, but I'm sorry I just don't believe what she is telling me!
 Post Reply Post Reply