Print Page | Close Window

well here I am

Printed From: OHbaby!
Category: Support
Forum Name: Living with Post Natal Depression
Forum Description: Around one in ten NZ mothers will be diagnosed with PND in the first year of their babies life. Find support and encouragement and share ideas for coping here.
URL: https://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17479
Printed Date: 10 June 2024 at 5:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: well here I am
Posted By: Bobbie
Subject: well here I am
Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 11:55am
My DH finally dragged my sorry butt off to the doc's this morning and I've had confirmed what I've denied for months. I have PND.

I felt soo embarrassed going in there - like she'd just think I was a big sook and tell me to harden up - lol! I have no idea now why I thought that. She was awesome and really helpful.

Now I've spoken to her and DH about it all I can see in retrospect I was far from alright. Infact when she asked me to rate my emotions on a scale of 1 - 10 I started crying because I realised that I can't remember the last time I felt anything above a 6.

So I've taken my first pill and I'm sitting here feeling much better - not from the meds (I doubt they work that fast) but just that I can stop living in denial about the whole thing.

And I must send much love to my dear husband who has not only put up with this for months and months but also had enough courage and love to MAKE me go to the doctor even though I was adamant that I was fine

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: mummy_becks
Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 11:58am

Don't feel embarrassed about it at all.

It should take about 2 week for the neds to kick in and then you will wonder why it took so long for you to go and get help.

It took me a while to go too after everything that happened my house.

-------------
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 2:14pm
2 weeks! Thanks for the head's up - I didn't know it would take so long. The Doc probably said so but TBH I wasn't taking much in.

I should clarify lest I cause any offence - I'm not embarrassed at all by it but I was embarrassed before I went in because I thought I wasn't 'bad enough' and so the doc would tell me to stop wasting her time if that makes sense.

Yeah I'm already wondering why I waited so long. 20/20 hindsight aye?

-------------

Posted By: ElfsMum
Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 2:40pm
big hugs bobbie.. ! not sure what to say but glad you and DH had the courage to get help..

-------------
Mum to two amazing boys!

Posted By: Freesia
Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:12pm
Hugs Bobbie I'm glad that you feel some relief already and good on DH for encouraging you to goto the dr.

I hope the meds help you get it all sorted quickly.

-------------

Posted By: Kellz
Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 5:58pm
Im sure we all feel like that! I certainly felt that I wasnt depressed, that I should just be able to cope like everyone else seemed to be.
Good on you for going.
Plunket may have a pnd support group, ours does and its good to see that your not alone! Also I found that talking a counsellor really helped too. Get someone to help u out a bit and take baby for a walk or something while u have a wee break if poss. Also get yourself a big pot of fishoil capsules! They help too!

Posted By: Maya
Date Posted: 22 May 2008 at 7:47pm
Big hugs Bobbie! No shame here, as you can see you are certainly not alone! Good on you (and DH) for getting help!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Posted By: Tiff
Date Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:31pm
Big hugs Bobbie - I don't suffer from PND, but good 'ol 'regular depression' (I was diagnosed at 14, my father also has a history). I know how hard it is to take that first step, so be proud of yourself.

-------------
http://lilypie.com">

Posted By: Danash
Date Posted: 23 May 2008 at 10:53pm

Bobbie, what a wonderful husband you have.  Glad you are now on the way to the up and up.   

Posted By: WRXnKids
Date Posted: 24 May 2008 at 5:23pm
Out of curiosity what does the doc ask you so y know if you have if or not?

-------------

Posted By: AN E
Date Posted: 24 May 2008 at 6:28pm
Big Hugs

I'm always here if you need a talk or a break away from things.
So glad you have taken that all important first step

-------------
http://lilypie.com">

Date Posted: 24 May 2008 at 8:34pm
thanks guys,
I feel so much better just being in here and writing.

Terri it's weird because I thought it would be like a questionnaire thing but DH did most of the talking and I just kind of confirmed things and I guess the doc got what she needed from that. Also I don't actually remember a heap of the conversation - lucky DH was there.

The only question I think I actually got asked as such was to rate my self on a scale of 1-10 where 10 was really happy and 1 was really sad. But she took notes about other stuff we said. I think it would vary from case to case because of what I have read about PND symptoms I didn't have some of them.

But also the catalyst for me being taken in was the fact that the other morning I was too overloaded to do anything including picking Rowan up and I was at the point where I was too scared to leave the house.

The meds I'm on are making me feel like I have MS

-------------

Date Posted: 24 May 2008 at 9:57pm
I found I had nasty nausea with the SSRI's, other people have said they found it improved after a couple of weeks so hopefully yours will improve soon!

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Posted By: mum2paris
Date Posted: 24 May 2008 at 10:25pm
yeah i found that too, i felt a bit like i was nauseous and lost my appetite completely, and had all sorts, but as i said in another post, they do tend to be while you're getting used to them and then they become less frequent. Good on you for going and getting help. And yeap it sooo feels so much better once it's out - before then it feels like a terrible secret you're keeping to yourself in case someone thinks you're completely doo-lally (in case you haven't noticed this is my favourite word)

-------------
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Date Posted: 24 May 2008 at 10:27pm
*giggle* at Janine - I will forever associate the word doo-lally with Ayja, I must have seen you post about her being doo-lally at one point or another

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Posted By: arohanui
Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:55pm
Big hugs Bobbie I'm glad you're getting it sussed and go DH.

-------------
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: porcelina
Date Posted: 25 May 2008 at 6:22pm
Yay for you and having the courage to get help!!! Well done!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 2:47pm
Hmm I went to coffee group this morning and could only stay an hour as I was getting totally wound up and stressed. I'm not sure what was up with that.

Also I got offered contract work for 3 weeks (work from home) yesterday and I had to turn it down as I knew I couldn't do it at the moment - I'm pretty bummed as I've been wanting an opportunity like that for ages. Hopefully it will come up again.

But I'm smiling at the 'doolally' comment - what a great word

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2008 at 3:27pm
That's a bummer Bobbie. Did you let them know that you might be interested in doing the contract work from home in the future?

-------------

Posted By: LittleBug
Date Posted: 09 June 2008 at 8:09pm
Cut yourself a lot of slack, Bobbie, it's a hard time so saying no to stuff is definitely ok. Hopefully the opportunity will come up again at a better time though!

Star for your DH for being so good for you and getting you some help. Doesn't it feel good to know that he's got your back? It's nice to know that you have someone to lean on that will support you and do what's best for you.

How are you finding things now?

-------------
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).

Date Posted: 10 June 2008 at 4:11pm
oh my gosh so much better I can't believe it!
I've read two books in two weeks (I couldn't sit still to read a book for the last year or so). I'm doing housework but not feeling stressed about what I am or am not doing and I'm getting out of the house every day for a walk.

Sounds dumb I know but it's these little things that I couldn't do before that make me realise how bad I was.

All the physical side effects are pretty much gone now except I couldn't sleep for a few hours last night (random)

-------------

Date Posted: 10 June 2008 at 4:49pm
Woohoo, yay Bobbie!

(and just quietly, I am soooo jealous that you have managed to read two books, I haven't finished a book in months...)

-------------
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Date Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:52pm
That's great Bobbie. I'm glad things are on the 'up' for you!

I've been halfway through 3 books for about 8 years I'm not much of a reader nowdays

-------------

Date Posted: 11 June 2008 at 4:28pm
bobbie sounds like you had the same anxious side effects...mine gone now... so it's worth taking then.. it hought about stopping when i felt that horrible anxiousness but its heaps better now..on day 6 :) random sleeping issues but had those for ages:)

-------------
Mum to two amazing boys!

Date Posted: 11 June 2008 at 4:29pm
oh and glad you are better:)!

-------------
Mum to two amazing boys!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net