FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFatal dangers of cold sores to newborns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal dangers of cold sores to newborns
    Posted: 16 January 2010 at 5:19am
Have also posted this in the Pregnancy forum

I have just been up with one of my girls and came across this group on Facebook Warning pregnant mothers about the fatal dangers of cold sores to newborns and it's been bugging me every since. I had never heard of this condition before. I just felt a strong urge to come post on here 'just in case'. What happened to Charlotte's precious little girl is heart wrenching and I would hate for that to happen to another baby.

This is her story *Warning tear jerker*

Our baby daughter Mira died on 28th November 2007 from herpes simplex virus 1 - the common cold sore virus. She was just 10 days old.

It is so so rare here in the UK - only 6 babies a year die from this and it is so easily preventable.

I had never had a cold sore before Mira was born, but shortly after her birth I was so exhausted and run down with a throat infection that I developed a tiny cold sore on my bottom lip when she was 3 days old. It disappeared almost overnight and I didn't think anything more of it.

Mira was a beautiful, perfect, healthy baby - but when she was 8 days old she became a bit restless and difficult to feed. We took her to the GP twice, and she was also seen by a midwife and an on-call doctor in the two days before she died. Her symptoms were so non-descript that nobody knew what was making her so poorly. She had a low temperature, her eye was a bit sticky, and she wasn't interested in feeding. She was just so peaceful and sleepy all the time. She had no marks, blemishes or lesions on her, definitely nothing that would have made anyone think that she was being attacked by the cold sore virus - it was just quietly working its way through her little body with no outwardly noticeable signs.

She took a turn for the worse in the evening of 27th November, and we rushed her to hospital, where she stopped breathing. The doctors tried to save her, but by then the virus had overwhelmed her tiny body and they had no idea what had made her so ill. She grew her angel wings at 4.20am on November 28th, 2007 - just 10 short days after she'd made such a long-awaited entrance into the world.

The post mortem results came back as herpes simplex virus 1 - the cold sore virus. Up to 85 per cent of adults have this virus, and it's harmless in adults.

As it was my first ever cold sore, I had no antibodies to pass on to Mira, so her tiny body was unprotected. It was just incredibly bad luck that my first ever infection coincided with the birth, and I unknowingly transmitted the virus to Mira in the first few days of her life.

I read so much when I was pregnant, but had never seen anything at all about the dangers of this type of simple condition. This is why we want to raise awareness and increase public knowledge.

It's too late for Mira, but I just want nobody else to go through the devastation that we went through at losing our beautiful 10 day old daughter, and the pain that we'll carry around in our shattered hearts forever.

Please, just help us by passing this information on to anyone you know who it may help - pregnant women, family members of newborn babies, health professionals (we were surprised at how little was known about this even by some of the top medical experts we have been in contact with since losing Mira).

Sorry for the depressing post, I just really felt like I needed to pass this message along.

Em

Edited by Emiloly
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
Sponsored Links

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 7:08am
scary stuff!
monkey33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 10:23am
So sad
Muz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 6:32pm
That is awful
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 7:06pm
I hate to say it...but is it true or one of those hoaxes? I ask because almost EVERYONE has antibodies to the cold sore virus. If it is true, I wouldnt be too concerned because it would have to be INCREDIBLY rare to happen. And it might not have been the herpes simplex virus that is to blame. Any virus may have had that result in a young baby which is why we take sick newborns so seriously.

If it is true then it is incredibly sad...but I think it is also incredibly bad luck and not something to stress about. IYGWIM
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 10:17pm
Pretty sure it's true. About 6 babies in the UK die from this a year. Check out the face book group.

Edited by Emiloly
ndoc35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndoc35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 6:03am
Im new to this forum and am only joining long enough to put you right on this subject. the girl you are talking about is my dear friend Charlotte and she is not a fake or hoax. Mira did die due to the coldsore virus and no not every newborn baby has antibodies. Your baby only has antibodies if you have had coldsores before but sadly Charlotte didnt and developed her first coldsore after Mira was born. Im not on here to bitch or shout but just to let you know that it is a very fatal virus to babies who's mums have never had coldsores, I have got to know charlotte through SANDS, stillbirth and neonatal death society as my baby girl died too, not from the same thing. I know its a very rare virus and yes only a handful of babies die from it each year but it does happen. Please take some time to read over Charlottes group on facebook, she has raised alot of awareness through media, tv and magazines to try and help prevent others living the horrendous life that she is living now.

Please be abit more sensitive as to who you call a fake as it cuts deep

Thank you for the person who posted originally about this for talking about it to others.
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:19am
My heart goes out to anyone who has lost a child, we came pretty close and Its incomprehensible really.
ndoc35

I have put this in the other thread too, this awful situation in preventable, so we can learn from this lovely Mums horror story

Just FYI for those pf you who do suffer

FDA pregnancy category B. This medication is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Herpes virus can be passed from an infected mother to her baby during childbirth. If you have genital herpes, it is very important to prevent herpes lesions during your pregnancy so that you do not have a genital lesion when your baby is born. Zovirax passes into breast milk and may harm a nursing infant. Do not take this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

More info specifically can be found her for breastfeeding etc http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/acyclovir.html

After a few years in pharmacy It is my understanding that the medicine for genital herpes is more concern than the cream you apply to your lips, but as with all meds during pregnancy have a chat with your doctor first. I think the important thing to remember is the pros vs the cons of using a drug during pregnancy and your doc will weight these up before prescribing.
http://lilypie.com]
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

I hate to say it...but is it true or one of those hoaxes? I ask because almost EVERYONE has antibodies to the cold sore virus. If it is true, I wouldnt be too concerned because it would have to be INCREDIBLY rare to happen. And it might not have been the herpes simplex virus that is to blame. Any virus may have had that result in a young baby which is why we take sick newborns so seriously.

If it is true then it is incredibly sad...but I think it is also incredibly bad luck and not something to stress about. IYGWIM

I happen to know Charlotte very well and can vouch for her as a genuine and honest person who has tragically lost her daughter Mira in exactly the way described.

Yes what happened to Charlotte and Mira is rare but it can and does happen to people she is trying to raise awareness. Not only has she started groups like this but she has appeared on a national UK television programme to discuss what happened to them.

That takes incredible courage and strength to do, I can tell you from personal experience that when your baby dies there are days when it is almost impossible to talk to family and friends without breaking down, let alone go on television in front of millions of strangers. Charlotte did that to help raise awareness because I can tell you the one thing that all parents who lose a child feel is that it should never, ever happen to another family.

I appreciate the need to be careful about fakes but it is also just as important to have evidence or very good reasons to be suspicious before you start asking on an open forum if someone is real or a hoaxer.

littlepips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlepips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:44am
I just wanted to add that I also know Charlotte, her strengh in campaining to raise awareness to benefit other parent follow this loss of her beautiful daughter has been very inspiring. Also no doubt heartbeaking because all the while Charlotte and her husband do this they continue to deal with their grief.

Despite the hoax comment seeming to it's writer like a simple expression of opinion, it has also been made without much consideration, it has made it's way back to Mira's wonderful mummy and has been a bitter blow. I know strangely there are people out there who for some reason fake their situation. This couldn't be anymore painful to a mother who genuinely has lost their little one.   So please respond with a little more consideration, this thread was not to create hype but to create awareness in the hope that this information may never be needed but it is there should it ever be.

Edited by littlepips
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:52am
littlepips, jodyr, ndoc35 it is customary to write an introductory post before jumping in, we have a thread just for this purpose. I understand your intentions but it is coming across as a tad rude.

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:02am
I think it is completely understandable to question such things on an internet forum as there are so often hoaxes (on the internet in general)... I don't imagine there was any intention to upset the grieving parents...

Edited by freckle
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:23am
If your going to post something on the internet expect people to question it!! There are millions of hoaxes on the internet everyday and im sorry but everyone has a right to question what they read. You cant expect a group of friends on a forum you dont normally belong to expect your friend to take offence to a genuine question when the same question is probably being asked by a lot of other people that arent in your country and seen the story on the news or in papers.

I think you need to show more respect to our forum
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:40am
I have actually emailed Charlotte and told her that our online community is very close and that no offence was intended by any comments made. I linked to this thread on her group as I felt she had a right to know I had posted her story.

I know your all good people and I loves you all
littlepips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlepips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:03am
I simply wanted to express the need to consider before making a statement, not to attack,, not to offend the forum. As far as I see as freely as you may question hoaxes I may step in to create an awareness that that information reaches others and causes further pain. Is that rude, I think not.

I realise there is a need to question, so google, search, educate yourself but be aware of how you question.   Clearly you are a close forum and feel defensive on this issue, it isn't about you, or me, it is about stepping out of the bubble and being aware. I make no appologies for simple wanting to express that and have no further need to use your forum. Blessings to you all.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:23am
Gosh, I didnt expect such a reaction to my innocent question. As others have said, I meant no offence to anyone. I just questioned it because there have been similar posts in the past and everyone gets very upset and emotional about them (as we all do when babies are involved) only to find out later on that it is a hoax....there are just too many around.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew if it really was true or not...as simple as that. All that was required was a simple reply from someone saying "Sadly, this isnt a hoax", which Emiloly pretty much did

We seem to have reached a point in society where everything can be interpreted in such a way as to offend people.

Edited to try and make it read better.

Edited by nzpiper
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:51am
IT's ok Nikki, I understand where your coming from. I am still frankly surprised that so little is known about this subject. And considering it's devastating outcome why more health professionals don't warn people as a matter of course.
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 12:00pm
Bizzy - sorry if we have breached the protocol of the site by not introducing ourselves first, seeing Charlotte upset has obviously touched the same nerve in her friends that we have touched here by stepping so suddenly into your community to defend her. Obviously we would prefer to make friends here rather than enemies. I'll look for the thread now and introduce myself there properly, thank you for making us aware of it.

Freckle - you are quite right in what you say, it is normal to question what you read on the internet before taking it as fact. Charlotte and I belong to the same bereavement forum, as do littlepips and Ndoc35, and we have had more than our fair share of people who have made up the loss of a baby and caused indescribable hurt. I am sure Charlotte would have been happy to provide information to set anyones mind at rest if she had been asked on the facebook group but it was seeing her story questioned so publically that hurt her feelings, especially as doubt was cast on the cause of her daughters death too. I'm also sure the comment wasn't meant to get back to Charlotte and hurt her but it did and what we as her friends have tried to do was explain that she sadly is very genuine.

WRXandJosh - I've replied to you on the other thread too, sorry if you feel we have disrespected your forum, that was not our intention and no we didn't expect you to have seen Charlotte on TV but the person who questioned her doesn't seem to have even fully read Mira's story in the inital post or made any attempt to check it herself before raising concerns about a hoax. And she even questioned the post mortem results given by a medical professional which wasn't necessary.

nzpiper - I can appreciate that you wanted to protect your friends from another hoax in the same way we want to protect Charlotte from being so hurt. But I can't understand why you questioned the post mortem results, there was no good reason I can see for that.

Yes things do get taken the wrong way on the internet, it's very difficult to know what people intend when you can only see the written word. Charlotte and those of her friends who have replied can see why you would want to protect your friends here but I'm sure you can also see why it hurt Charlotte to see herself suggested as a fake.

The one thing I am sure of is that Charlotte would not want these threads to turn into an argument that takes away from the real issue - that her daughter has died from something so simple as the cold sore virus and that she wants with all her heart to prevent that happening to another baby and save another mother from walking in her shoes.

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 12:04pm
I think the fact that it is so rare for it to happen is why the general public education is lacking. As mentioned previously, it is a known risk for mothers/babies with HSV-2 (genital herpes), and actions are taken to avoid infection of the newborn. 85% of us already are infected with the HSV-1 virus (as opposed to about 25% with HSV-2), and the vast majority of primary infections occur during the first 5 years of life. I believe it was terribly terribly bad luck for Charlotte to have had a primary infection just after her baby was born, and therefore pass the virus along to her baby, who didn't have the protection of antibodies. Even 2 weeks after a primary infection allows time for you to develop antibodies against the virus, and subsequently pass them along. The chances of something like this happening are very low, and I'm guessing why MWs and doctors don't fore-warn people (and in the majority of cases it would just create unwarranted worry).
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 12:18pm
Wow that was a bit crazy I thought nzpiper had a pretty fair question. I personally wondered how true it was purely for the fact that I have never heard about anything like that at all. We have had a few people on here making up stories so sometimes it pays to ask before believing every little thing.

It is extremely sad that a little baby died but if you put yourself out in the public eye you have to be prepared for people to question it. Anyway isn't this a good thing anyway quite a few of us have learnt about the herpes virus so Charlotte has succeeded in warning people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>