FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIve been diagnosed again...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ive been diagnosed again...
    Posted: 08 September 2007 at 9:00pm
I went to CAT yesterday, coz things were going down hill fast...
Psychiatrist told me i have panic/anxiety with agoraphobia & prescribed be Fluoxetine & Oxazefram (sp)

I dont like taking meds coz i know i dont have aggrophobia -how can i when i love the outdoors???
My self diagnosis is " Missing Mother Syndrome" & im hard at work on self development & going to an Osteopath coz i have slipped disks in my back & that's why i get depressed...
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2007 at 9:05pm
oh glow...sorry to hear that...

but agoraphobia isnt actually a fear of open spaces...

i pinched this from the wikipedia definition which explains it quite well i thought.

Agoraphobics are not necessarily afraid of open spaces themselves, but more generally suffer panic attacks in response to the idea of being in an embarrassing or difficult situation where they are exposed to the world with no escape route, and no certainty of reassurance and help.
People with agoraphobia may experience panic attacks in situations where they feel trapped, insecure, out of control, or too far from their personal comfort zone. In severe cases, an agoraphobic may be confined to their home. [2] Some people with agoraphobia are comfortable seeing visitors, but only in a defined space they feel in control of. Such people may live for years without leaving their homes, while happily seeing visitors and working, as long as they can stay within their safety zones. The safety zones can vary, from not being able to leave home, or not being able to make eye contact. If the person leaves their 'safety zone' they can have an anxiety attack.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2007 at 9:39pm

Glow seriously if you want to talk let me know. My DH is going through this at the moment.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2007 at 12:09am
Hey Glow, while meds aren't everyone's cup of tea they seem a good idea to get things a bit under control so you can assess things in life from a bit clearer perspective.
I'm currently working with my boyfriend to deal with his depression as he doesn't want to go back on meds.

Maybe you could go see a psychologist instead to get to the root of the problem (if it is more than PND, or even the base of the PND) and see if they can give you some behavioural techniques to work with.

Good luck!

Edited by nikkiwhyte
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2007 at 9:38am
Thanks so much for the support
Id love to talk, coz its the only way to let things out & move on
Mummy of Two Boys

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2007 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Glow Glow wrote:

Thanks so much for the support
Id love to talk, coz its the only way to let things out & move on

Teehee, I am the opposite at the mo, my psychiatrist keeps suggesting (gently but rather persistently!) that I see a psychologist to help deal with some of my 'issues' but I'm much happier hiding it under the carpet and not dealing with it for the moment

I guess the actual diagnoses, the labels, are the hard part with any mental illness. For me, I always thought I was just "charmingly eccentric", so being officially diagnosed as a classic Obsessive-Compulsive was a bit soul-destroying, it meant I had to face up the fact that some of the things I do aren't neccessarily 'normal' (but what is normal?) and that they do impact on my day to day life.

I hope the CAT team are able to organise some counselling for you Glow, it sounds like you are keen to work thru some stuff so that will probably be really helpful, but the meds can help too. I didn't realise just how well mine worked till I stopped taking them and started freaking out big time within a couple of days. Thats the tricky part with anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds, they don't 'feel' like they're working so you think they're not.

Best of luck Glow, PM me if you ever need to vent.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2007 at 11:00am
Just thought id chuck this in here

Missing Mother Syndrome

I have all the symptoms
Mummy of Two Boys

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2007 at 11:51am
I did a thing called cognitive behavior therapy, which really helped me for my anxiety/panic attacks/agorophobia and the depression too. Coupled with the neds, it wasn't a cure all, but definately helped alot with my recovery the last time it was really bad, and the CBT seems to have stopped the panic etc attacks, it's taught me a "new way to think" so no need for meds. Godd luck and big big hugs.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 7:36pm

Glow Im so glad to hear you are getting the help you need and I hope you start feeling better within yourself. Im taking Fluoxetine as well and I just wouldnt be without it.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 8:17pm
Glow everything you described up there could be describing me. I have all that, and the wikipedia description of agrophobia descibes me to a T. I wouldnt even go to a church carwash the other day even though I desperately wanted to but the whole social situation with not knowing anyone there just freaked me out.... Ive avoided fluoxetine too, some days i think i shoudl start taking it other days I dont want to because i kind of feel like its not going to solve the issues just hide them. Ive been through the anxiety disorder clinic but that only worked for a while. anyway my point is you are not alone and if you ever want to talk you know where to find me.
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 7:25pm

Well I'm a bit slow on the uptake here, but GOOD ON YOU for going to CAT, Glow!    I'm sure it would have been easier to just stay home that day, so well done for having the guts to go in there and talk about things.  If there's something I can do to help, just sing out - I have a half-decent listening ear if you ever want to give it some exercise!  Meds aren't so bad... they give you a chance to see the forest for the trees. 

Andie
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2007 at 8:38am
Guess what? i dont have agrophobia (see i knew it) Physicist just play with your head!! They just think they know how the brain works!!
Now ive been diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder & have to take these crappy, crappy meds. They actually are just f**king with my life.
Schizo affective is 2 illness rolled into 1. Bipolar & Schizophrenia LOL. I do not fall neatly into either category but have symptoms of both. Then also have symptoms of psychosis. What the hell!!
Sorry for my moan but life is really a bitch & then you either marry 1 or become 1!!
Risperidone sux!!
Meds are great if your diagnosis is right aye!! I hope 1 day i will get the meds that i really need & i hate trial & error!! Im not a guinea pig or rat!!
Mummy of Two Boys

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2007 at 10:46am
Big hugs Glow! Hope they finally manage to get the meds sorted so you can focus on getting well!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
 Post Reply Post Reply