FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDecember 2007 Mummies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 246>
Author
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 2:40pm
emz I hated everything about b/f, I hated showing my boobs to everyone, the fact that b/f is very messy in the first few weeks cause it squirts everywhere and I basically felt really stupid doing it! I thought it was so gross to be honest!!

I just persevered (sp?) and made it my challenge to be able to do it, it was my goal every day to try and get her to atleast latch. After many tears, frustrated feeds and bleating to DH that I was useless and HATED b/f that one day Lauren and I just clicked, I can't even say what happened, one day it just felt good, she was happy on the boob and from then it has been an amazing experience! I do highly recommend nipple shields, Advent ones to be particular. They were a godsend and helped my let down, are easy for bubs to suck on and the milk flows nicely through them. So I basically went from expressing/bottle feeding to using nipple shields and then slowly weaned off the nipple shields, by doing one feed with them and then one feed without them to now where I am sure I could b/f while standing on my head!!

Lauren took to the boob straight away after exclusively bottle feeding for 3 weeks with no problems at all. I still give her one bottle of EBM every day so she will still take a bottle if needed when I am out!
Sponsored Links

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 2:52pm
and Topsy I promise it does get better just give yourself some time

Its the hardest thing I have ever had to learn
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 7:47pm
We did a feed with no shield last night It was only 10 mins but yay! small victories (given the MW said I may never be able to do it without a shield).

On the down side Rowan is not liking the heat and is waking hourly for a feed and getting overtired in the process . Last night and tonight are not fun! I'm thinking we may have to resort to putting her bassinet in the bathroom as it's the coolest room in the house!

I haven't been near scales since New Years eve and I had lost 5kg then (which I'm sure was baby and placenta and fluid). Still have about 10kg to go

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 2:54pm
yay for feeding without a shield! Wish I had been told about them when Jack was born to help me out for a while. Now I just won't try him back on the boob. Not that he's interested anyway, he doesn't try and grab for it or anything.

We had our 1wk weigh-in on Monday and our boy had gained just over 300g - I thought babies were supposed to lose weight in the first week?! What a fatty! Now at 3.8kg. I think if I was still trying to b/f him he wouldn't have gained that much.
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 3:02pm
Well done Bobbie! You are on your way to painless breastfeeding. I found that because they are trying to suck out the colustrum they suck so hard and fast which makes nipples rather sore. Once they start healing they shouldnt be that sore again (well for me anyway).

Thats a great weight gain Emz. Have you thought about doing some daytime feeds on the boob? I do a combination of both BF and EBM and it means that she stays being used to both. It seems to work well if only she wouldnt comfort suck and be a lazy feeder!

Well I have had two really good nights. She has slept from 9.30pm-2.00am then 3.00am-7.am. Long may it continue! It does mean that she has decided to not sleep very much during the day though

Edited by Topsy
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 3:16pm
Wow that is awesome about the night sleeping Topsy! You must be pleased. Now if she gets her daytime sleeping sorted you'll be sweet!

This may sound like a cop-out, but I just don't want to risk the stress etc with having to try to breastfeed. I've just started a new course of anti-depressants (not that I have PND but because of my history its more preventative) so I just dont want to rock the boat. I know I could persevere, maybe I'm just lazy? And I'm constantly worried even with expressing what further damage I'm doing to my boobs as they already needed surgery. Imagine if you will the angel and devil on each shoulder... I'm having a massive debate within myself at the moment as to what to do! And I don't want to talk to my m/w about it, because she made me feel lazy for giving up on b/f so soon.
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 3:33pm
Definitly not a cop-out Emz. Sometimes I want to give up and yes it is stressful! EBM is just as good anyway and once he has had those antibdies then formula will be a good idea.
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 4:15pm
Bella's sleeping habits sound great Topsy. Long may it continue. I managed to get Liam to sleep in his basinette all night last night. I am so pleased with myself although I am now exhausted as I was up for at least an hour at each feed (I could get him back to sleep in half that time when he was sleeping in our bed).

We're going away tomorrow for a few days down to Masterton for a wedding. I hope baby sleeps in the car otherwise it'll be a long trip. We are staying in Taupo to break up the trip though.

See you girls next week
LizzyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LizzyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 8:58am
Hey guys just thought i'd pop my head in, I was in the January thread for expectant mothers but Sarah was born on teh 19th of December weighing 5 pound 12 oz, we are gfetting her weighed again today she is 4 weeks 1 day old and i hopeing over 7 pounds now. She is a pretty good sleeper but we have to feed her at leasst every 4 hours so i am getting 2-3 hour blocks of sleep. not as bad as i thought it was going to be though. Sarah was born by c section as she was breech so i still cannot do much about weight loss. i only put on 10 kilos for the pregnancy though so i'm not too worried.

Emz the best thing you can do for yoiur baby is be a relaxed mother and it sounds like you need to stop brest feeding for you sanity and health, your baby will benifit from that change in you. and formulae is not the lazy way, you will have to prepare all your bottles etc, so don't beat yourself up, only you know what is best for you and your baby.

right must check my e-mails. i can only get on the internet on thursdays at the mo.

sorry about the long post, spelling mistakes and typos!!!
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 9:58am
Since birth, I have lost 15 kilos and I am 3 kilos from my pre-preggy weight. But I am aiming to lose a fair amount more due to the fact I was at my heaviest when I fell pregnant with Phoenix.

Emz, I so know what you mean about noticing your feet again. I look at my feet, ankles and calves and almost cry out in joy. If only the fluid in my back would start draining away.

Tuesday we had a scare, I was feeding Phoenix and during our lil wind break I noticed he had these two massive lumps where his nipples should be. Like massive swollen glands. Took him down to A & E and it seems our lil man has Mastitis. Apparently quite common for lil boys to get this. So he is on his own antibiotics. I was simply beside myself until I found out what it was. Glad he is going to be okay.

Finding he is becoming more restless due to the heat and coming up to his first growth spurt. Poor lil man. Trying to keep up with boobie demand, sore nipples but they don't seem to be cracked.

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 11:00pm
Topsy yay for the long sleeps at night. Glad that all that feeding is obviously paying off.

Emz I don't think it's a cop out at all. Everyone feeds their baby differently and it's important that both of you are happy. With that awesome weight gain it sounds like you're doing the right thing anyway.

I've been having a few feeds without shields (just 5-10 mins in the middle of a feed). I'm doing it mainly because I'm paranoid about my milk drying up - although the MW said it was pretty unlikely in my case. But it hurts quite a bit. My nipples are so short that she can't get them to the back of the mouth so they end up squished and triangular shaped and hurt for quite a while afterwards. I don't know how you girls managed with that kind of pain for every feed - I must be a gigantic wuss.

Lizzy it's so funny how similar our situations are (especially since we started out with the same EDD). We have been able to move to demand feeds with Rowan but they end up roughly every 3 hours anyway. She was weighed by the MW yesterday (at her discharge visit ) and she was 3.4 kgs - don't know what that is in pounds.

LL I know what you mean about the heat. The last two nights we have not had any luck settling Rowan and she was feeding hourly last night for about 4 hours I don't think she's having a growth spurt either. Scary about the mastitis - I'd never heard of that. Love how things are 'common' but no one thinks to let the poor mums know.

We had a very unromantic wedding anniversary yesterday - windy baby and we were both tired so we had pizza in bed. And in 1 hour I will be 31

Edited by Bobbie

BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 8:09am
Happy birthday Bobbie!!! and happy belated wedding aniversary!
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 9:21am
Happy Birthday Bobbie!!!!

Our lil man was better yesterday, he even slept from 1.20pm til 7.00am. Those larger night feeds are a godsend.

Finding he has quite dry skin, I know the skin dries up drastically as he was in the womb for 41 weeks having a swim, but wow. I just make sure he is moisturised and whatnot, but still, pretty peely.

PJ is having a squirm on his change mat, I think it's a number twos! Be back on later on.

P.S. Pretty funny watching him take his orange flavoured antibiotics through a syringe. That whole moment when he realises it's not milk or a dummy, pure confusion. So so cute!

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 11:29am
Happy birthday Bobbie! And happy wedding anniversary for yesterday. Ours is next weekend, our 1st one but it'll be pretty low key I think.

I hear you on the dry skin Tara - DH is very good at continuously putting moisturiser stuff on Jackson which is cool cos I forget.

Our boy's struggling with the heat, so glad its raining and cool here today - 33 degrees yesterday and thats been pretty typical over the last couple of weeks.

Bobbie - Jack was 7lb 10oz at birth and that was 3.48kg to give you an indication of what Rowan's weight would be in pounds. Shame about being discharged, but good to know you're doing well enough to be discharged!
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2008 at 8:45pm
Hi ladies and babies, hope you have all had a good weekend of good feeding and sleeping. I find it so hard to find the time to get on here at the moment as there is always something to do!

Bella has been such an angel at feeding for the past few days. I feels like it has just suddenly clicked which makes me glad I perservered through the very tough times. Now we just need to get the night time sleeps sorted. Thje longest we get is 4hrs but I can handle that.

Bella has gone very bald on top I am wondering how long it will take to grow back. It seems like the new growth will be blonde like her mama. She also has a bit of dry skin but not nearly as much when she had her full body peel at 2weeks old.

Does anyone elses babies kick off all their blankets? I think I will start to look at sleeping bags for the winter. The peke moe ones look good as they keep little hands warm aswell.
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2008 at 9:43pm
Rowan is peeling a bit on her forehead and feet but I haven't been moisturising because the only moisturiser I have is Eco store with lavender in it and I don't want to put that on her face. She did a full peel at about a week though where her belly, feet, hands and arms were all peeling - she looked like a little lizard.

LL looking at the picture in your ticker I can only imagine his confused look. I bet it would be hilarious.

Rowan will kick off her blanket when she's squirming around trying to fill her nappy but it's been so hot lately it hasn't really been an issue. My brother in law gave us a go-go bag as a baby gift last week which has to be one of the best scores. We haven't started using it yet as she's just gone into cloth at night (because stupid huggies were leaking all the time)but tonight is her 3rd night of cloth with absolutely no leaks so maybe we'll give it a shot.

Has anyone else who was swaddling flagged it now? Rowan hated having her arms swaddled so she was only wrapped from chest down in weeks 2 and 3 and now we've stopped altogether as she really wasn't fussed.

floss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 7:11am
Hi all

Sorry I havn't posted much everytime I go to someone starts crying or filling there nappy or something comes up, I have been reading all the other posts tho.

Good work on your BF everyone you are doing so well it is such a hard thing to master and Emz dnt feel bad about formula feeding I have done it with all my lot and they are healthy & happy.

Not much happening with my lot we are getting up 1 most nights to feed sometimes not at all which is excellent!!
Hubby has been in Dunedin for a week for work and comes home tonight so we are pretty excited!

I weigh less now then I did before I got preggy so trying to look after 3 kids is doing my waist line good!

As for swaddling we are still doing it as Noah won't sleep without it, Lola isn't so worried but sleeps better when done.
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 7:54pm
urgh just popping in to say I hate Auckland when it's at 99% humidity - and apparently so does Rowan. She's not slept for longer than an hour at a time all day and she's feeding off me like it's going out of fashion!

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 8:02pm
Maybe that's Jackson's problem today? He's hardly slept and has been feeding every 2 hours. Or maybe a growth spurt? Driving me nuts! That plus it being D's first day back at work made me want to cry! But all is well now... except DH has just come in and told me that one of the mags on our car is cracked and can't be driven on, and our runabout car that he goes to work in could possibly need the CV joints done.. argh money money. Really bad timing!
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 5:16pm
Hey all,

Just a quick check in. Have left MAc with mum while I came down to the internet cafe! He is loving camping and loved the road trip. Have some really cool pics of him.

Had a bad night 2 nights ago that involved me walking from one end of wanaka to the other from 6pm to 11pm but am now using bottled watera dn he is all good and back to his usual happy self.

Emz, I formula feed and it works for me! I hated the whole thought of bf and would have stresxsed about it completely so made the decision early on in my pregnancy not to and am really happy about that and MAc is happy...so a good decision for us all round. Go with yiur gut instinct as happy mum happy bub.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 246>