FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDecember 2007 Mummies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 246>
Author
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 7:45pm
Yeah I think we'll start trying again in Dec - maybe after Christmas so probably more like Jan. It's only recently that I've felt like I could do it all again . The only thing I "worry" about is lack of sleep but it won't kill me

Not sure about the coffee table thing. All I can think of is to keep putting him on the floor & saying no. He should get the idea eventually you'd think??
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 7:47pm
We've been giving Liam scrambled eggs (with the whole egg) for a while now & he's been fine with that. My Plunket nurse also told me it was ok to give them whole eggs now. I wonder why they decided that now???
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 7:48pm
I have heard that too about the eggs. i have been feeding him whole eggs for the last 2 or so months with no problems. there was an interestinga rticle about food allergies in a mag I was reading a month or so ago saying that sometimes holding them off isn't necessarily the best idea unless there is a family history of them - this was written by the MOH so maybe Plunket has adopted that now.

kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2008 at 8:02pm

Why is the solids thing so confusing - grrr. Wish I'd been feeding him eggs for ages now, reckon he'll love them. Perhaps we should get around to building that chook house and run soon - hahaha, how many years have we been saying that now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:13am
Liam has never reacted to anything & seems to be fine with everything we've given him. I struggle with ideas for his lunch & scrambled eggs is something easy & he loves it .

I'm working towards giving him what we eat with some back-ups in the freezer when we have things that aren't suitable such as hamburgers, burritos etc.

Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 3:05pm
I might give Miss Zoe a go on the scrambled eggs!
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 7:48am
Hey lovely ladies,

Spent the day at the Culverden Fete yesterday which was great. Only came hoem with foodie stuff tho

Went to a wicked speaker last night. he spoke about the childs brain development from 0-3 years and how important it is and what happens etc. Really interesting. He lectures in early childhood and primary teaching. Came away feeling really motivated and also a little guilty....but figured I still have 2 years to fix the "supposed" detrimental effects.

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 10:01am
That sounds really informative, Peanut. Don't beat yourself up about it tho!

So, "we are leaving on a jet plane..." at 6.20am tomorrow morning. Got almost everything packed, just gotta pick up a couple of things from the supermarket etc and then I'm staying at Mums tonight so she can run us to the airport in the morn.

Haven't slept well over the past week, hopefully I can get about 5 hours tonight. Fingers crossed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 11:31am
Best wishes for your trip Tara. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Will this be the first time your Dad gets to meet Phee?

Speaker sounds interesting Peanut. So what sorts of things should we be doing?
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 3:00pm
Sal, yes this is the first time that Grandad Wayne will meet Phoenix. Should be very special, but if I know my Dad he will be loud, tickly and in his face, so I gotta make sure Phoenix is okay with him.

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 5:01pm
Sally, been hetic at work this afternoon so cut into my OhBaby time. Will post tomorrow some of the more interesting bits....warning though it may be a long post

Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 9:14am
Babies will develop in their own time. I am not worried this time around with Zoe not doing what she should be doing as I am more relaxed with baby number two. And she is always watching her big sister and sussing out what she is up to
kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 11:28am

lol Lisha, I'm hoping to be more relaxed second time round - think I developed a paranoia about SIDS and sometimes still find myself wondering "is Jimmy still breathing?" if he sleeps longer than usual. I reckon having a big brother/sister to look up to must speed up babies development too, as they're always wanting to copy etc.

I'd love to hear any tips about learning/brain development Peanut. Sounds like it was an interesting talk.

Jimmy's been sneezing a lot this morning and is a bit snuffly, so hope he's not getting the flu. He had two 2.5 hr sleeps during the day yesterday, so I'm wondering if he sleeps more when he's coming down with something - but seems to be able to shake things off by doing that.

Had my horsey friends over til 11pm last night, watching DVDs and eating treats - was fun but they woke Jimmy up a lot. I never had to go an resettle him though, he'd just talk for a while then snooze then talk again.

Crappy weather here today - hope it clears later as the local fireworks festival is on tonight, and it's no fun on a raining night believe me (I've only been once and it rained and haven't gone back since!!).

Righto, Jimmy's up from his nap - Mummy duty calls

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2008 at 12:00pm
Hey all, finally finished my morning work and justtalked to DH who has just woken Mac up from a 3 hour sleep Why doesn't he do that for me?

Have been trying to organise somewhere to gof ro lunch for 3 coupel and 3 babies all the same age. It is such a mission to find somewhere that is kid friendly but means that you can have a wine or two at lunch also....mission!

Ok, remembered to bring my notes to work with me. If it sounds lecturey its not suppose too and I don't neccessarily agree with it all but its makes for some interesting thinking and discussions:

- From 0-3 the brain is just makingconncetions etc and at around the age of 3 it starts hardwiring itselfso lots of the info need to be in there by 3 for it to be hardwired up.

- People and intereaciosn with people are the important thing for babies in the first 3 years as interactiosn with people involve the use of the whole brain - eg. language, decipering body language etc. This means the whole brain is being used - maths calulations etc only use a tiny fragment of the brain.

- 30% of brain function is genes but the rest is learned so intellience isn't actually inherited.

- Your brain isn't fully functioning at its nighest level until around 26 years of age!

- Have millions of neurons sitting there that need to be joined and connected. he connection s made when we have an "aha" moment for the connection to stay and be insulated it needs to be repeated approx 90 times - each time wraps andother layer of insulation around the connection. Like our power cords.

- The brain develops from the bottom up.
1 - Brainstem - safety/survival - 0-6months
2 - Midbain - movement - 6 -18 months
3 - Limbic -Emotional engagment - 18months 4years
4 - Cortical - learning - 4 yrs +
The cortical is the regulating part of the brin too which is why 2 year olds tantrum. They feel upset/angry etc so tantrum and there Cortex is no developed to reglate it hence you can reason (sometimes) with a child of 4= as it is starting to develope.

- Pictorial part of the brain makes up 25% of an instruction so saying to a child "Don't stand on the chair" means they envision standing on a chair as you can't envision "Don't stand on a chair" meaning it takes lonegr for them to follow and understand the instruction. Saying "Sit on the chair" - brain sees
the instruction - easy to follow and compute.

- When you say "No" or "Don't" to a child its releases a small amount of cortisol (stress hormone) thsi samll amount unwraps a layer of the insulationa round the last bran connection so need to limit the amount of times you say it - in a "normal" household teh use of the word no shouldn't have too much of a detrimental effect.

- Should always imitate sounds that they are making abck to them rather than saying "say dadada" etc. Imitating their sounds encourages them more to voalise then trying to make them say something.

- AS they start speaking - avoid correcting them when they mispronounce wors instead just repeat the sentnce back to them correctly e.g "look mummy there are sheeps in the paddock" "yes dear, I can see sheep in the paddock too. If you are constantly correcting them they will just stop doing it.

- Most important thinsg for brain development in 0- 3 year olds are:
- Free movement so no jolly jumper, bouncers, play seats etc, sheep skins under them. The more free movement they have the better brain development. When you put them in these thinsg it apparantly stops their brain development for the time that they are in it as its an unnatural movement for kids.

- Laughing - but not from tickling as its a true response as most people will laugh when being tickle even if they don't enjoy it.

- singing - having there primary caregiver sing to them activites there brain hugely.

Phew, lecture over! All up for discussion though as I don't know about some of it!

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:08am
I've got my notes *somewhere* as I did half of my papers linked with the early childhood degree (college was too cheap to do them separately) and a lot of it was on child development.

-re the 'no' and 'don't' thing: the ratio of positive to negative (no etc) feedback with a child should be 4:1. Works really well and is proven to get better reactions from children.

-children always react to a stimulus. The normal way of learning is stimulus-response (the behaviour they demonstrate, good or bad), and the consequence (your reaction). If a child gets a 'good' reaction (ie. your attention, whether positive or negative) they will continue a behaviour. So linking back to the 'no' thing... it's good for kids to learn it, but also if you simply remove a child, don't give them your attention and carry on this can often have a greater effect. Just like how you wouldn't indulge a child in a classroom with bad behaviour, you would either ignore them or remove the stimulus.

So basically our reactions to our children's behaviours are paramount. If you think about it, our babies learn things so much faster when we deem them to be 'positive' behaviours, such as crawling, talking, clapping etc. It's the things like climbing up the coffee table, always knocking over a particular thing or heading towards somewhere they're not allowed to be that take a while.

Also, with the 'don't' think, yep it's true, its reverse psychology but kids don't have the ability to understand the 'don't' in front of the instruction. At school, we learnt to just change don't instruction to do's. So 'don't stand on the chair' turns into 'sit on the mat' or 'sit on your chair'. It works, but it takes a while.

For speech, or anything really, as 'teachers' (which is what we are as parents) its important to accept all attempts. Like Peanut said, you don't correct them, but you can offer them the correct version. So a child may point at a dog and say dada, you just go 'yes a dog, good (boy/girl). They eventually learn off imitating and relating that positive feedback to the item.

Anyway, I don't even know if that's informative or just highly boring, but if anyone has any questions I'm sure I can find my notes at some point. They were really interesting courses and its amazing how you look at children, and teaching and learning, differently when you have done it.

Hehe and I knew about the jolly jumper thing etc but TBH sometimes you need to put the wee buggers in them to give you 5 minutes sanity lol
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 1:42pm
Zoe turned 11 months yesterday! Feeling abit overwhelmed today, and abit teary, (have AF), as can't believe that she is going to be 1 next month and Lucy will be 3! Pretty crazy! And I can't seem to shake off my old pregnant body.. people must look at me and think that I am about 7 months preggers! oh well... sorry for the rant!
kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:12pm

Aww Lisha, hope you're feeling better now. Where does the time go aye? Happy 11 months for Zoe (and for Mac the other day Peanut).  I'm sure people don't think you're 7 months pregnant ... I sometimes feel like that too, especially if I've eaten a huge meal - never ceases to amaze me how much more my waist expands now . And I've only had one baby so far...

Have been home sick with an icky cold today. Spent the day in bed, but Jimmy heard me coughing and sneezing and would come crawling up to the door (which was closed) saying Mum Mum each time, was so cute. I hope he doesn't catch it, but colds are so damn infectious.

How did the big move go Sally?

Those notes are really interesting Emz and Peanut. lol about the Jolly Jumper - I couldn't deny Jimmy the fun, but he only goes in it once a day max. I'm sure he's learnt to *dance* in there too - does these wicked moves with his legs when he hears a song he likes .

Crap, he's talking to himself again - did that all night last night, don't know what's up?

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:29pm
Hey there Lish! You don't look 7 months pregnant...I have seen you remember but I know how you feel, I am still at least 10 kgs over my pre preg weight and at least 20 kgs over my ideal weight....figure I will just have the next baby and then deal with. Am also hearing you on feeling tearful and overwhelmed!! That has been me the last couple of days.

Sally, hope the move went well and that you are all unpacked.Am guessing that is why you haven't been online for a while.

Hope you are feeling better, Anna. How cute that wee Jimmy wanted his Mum Mum. I can't wait for Mac to say Mum, Mum.

Is anyone else starting to feel frustrated with the amount of work they do compared to their DH? I am starting to realise how much more I do interms of 'at home" work and how tired I am with minimal help at times.

Good Luck for your appt tomorrow, Emz. Let us know how you get on.

Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 10:15am
Hey guys

Feeling better today, had a few wines last night

Baby weight is very hard to loose, and I am sure in time it will go.

Kakapo - you are over the hill from Peanut and myself :o)

Crappy weather here today, and it is snowing on my brothers farm in Ashvegas! Coldies!

Hate taking Lucy to preschool when it is raining as have to take Zoe in too... arrrgghh the joys of having two.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

ect.
- Should always imitate sounds that they are making abck to them rather than saying "say dadada" etc. Imitating their sounds encourages them more to voalise then trying to make them say something.

Ahhh thats great info Peanut!

Im going to work on that one....Issy is pretty limited in her "sounds" and we tend to make different ones as we thought it would help her to vocalise new sounds .. now I know just to let her babble
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 246>