FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCord blood banking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 7:54pm
More than likely, it was Cordbloods PR agency that set up the interview
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 9:26pm
I was keen to get it but the price put us off

Mazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:33pm
We didn't do this because of the price with DD. Just way out of our price range.
I'm going to have to think about it for this one, though. Have to think rather quickly! Not that our financial situation has changed much, but I'm the same as you Emma, her comment about insurance really got to me.
Mum to two gorgeous girls!
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 1:37am

We did it with Ashlyn, at the time they didn't have the payment plans so it was a bit of a struggle but we worked it out and we insure our house, cars & contents so figure is was only fair to insure our babies.  Just think in a few years time if your child needs a transplant of some sort and they have perfected how to do it from blood cells that have been stored in case of an emengency.  I read the article about the woman in the news letter.  She must feel sooooo blessed that they have been able to help her young man and that they still have him with them. 

There are a few different payment options, the cost of setting it all up wasn't the easy but we felt it was worth it.

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 7:33am
I really wish we had known more about this before Samantha was born. We couldn't have afforded it anyway, but would have found a way.

This is a scary topic for us as DH's big brother died of Leukemia when he was 5

kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 12:42pm
Yes there needs to be more advertising out in the public, they usually do have a stand at the parent & child shows also
Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
cat007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 12:56pm
There definately needs to be more advertising for the public. With the cost of the process - the company, Cordbank, is a private company and as far as Im aware does not get funding from the government. As the procedures undertaken to test the cord blood, preserve and then store it can use a lot of equipment, reagents and other treatments to the blood, it may explain why the initial set-up costs so much.

We will consider it but aren't sure yet as to whether we will do it. If money wasnt an issue I would do it without a doubt - it is just so worth it.
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 10:08am
Bump
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 7:28pm
thanks!!

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2009 at 11:47am
Just bumping again... Does anyone have any further thoughts on this? Who else besides cuppatea has done it?

I guess I find it hard to shell out $5k for something I'll probably never need, but on the other hand, if it does turn out to be something we needed, I would have paid that 10 times over

We can put the $5k against our mortgage easily enough, but its still a lot of money, and we have to pay that mortgage back eventually . Especially because we want 2-3 kids, so really we are talking $10-15k. Eeek.

For those that have done it, was the collection process intrusive at all at delivery?
Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2009 at 5:03pm
I would of LOVE to do this, unfortunately the price has always put me off, and with aidans delivery it wouldn't of been able to be done anyway
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2009 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by T_Rex T_Rex wrote:

Just bumping again... Does anyone have any further thoughts on this? Who else besides cuppatea has done it?

For those that have done it, was the collection process intrusive at all at delivery?

We did it last year with DD. My mum's idea, she was rather insistent about it, and split the cost with us.

It's not intrusive at all, Cordbank send you a collection kit which you need to take to hospital with you. I think (but could be wrong) that you need to have a managed 3rd stage of labour to collect it, i.e. have the injection to deliver the placenta. From my understanding, once the placenta has been delivered that's when the cord blood is syringed. I didn't even see the midwife doing it, was too busy with DD to even notice. Once it's been collected you call a free phone number and the courier picks it up within an hour or less - again not sure of the details, DH and midwife did this part.

I'm not sure if they can collect the blood if you have a c-section though, and my midwife did say that if there were any complications with the birth, baby and I came first and they may not be able to collect the blood in an emergency situation etc.
Two little girls under 2!

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 6:03am
My first was c/s and the cordblood was collected. My friend had emergency c/s and hers was still collected as well (although it wasn't an emergency emergency just she got to 10cm but baby wouldn't come out cos he was in wrong position or too big or both). With a c/s they just collect the blood before the OB removes the placenta, I believe they give you the same drug as a managed third stage but it goes in via your drip instead so you don't notice it happen.
Yep they give you the pack which you take to the hospital then after your mw has done the collection your support person rings the courier and they come pick it up asap, both times with us they have been there within about 40 mins and DH has just popped down to reception to meet them.

We didn't pay $5k out right, we paid $2.5k and then we are paying the storage fees annually, it works out more in the long run but we didn't have $5k to pay up front.

I figure that we spend heaps of money on other crap that we definitely don't need and this is something I hope we never need but feel reassured that we have it and really is no different to any other insurance that we have except there was a large initial layout. But really when you are spending hundreds on cots, bassinets, strollers, carseats, clothes and the endless number of other things you need it's not hard to budget this in. We just bought a lot of 2nd hand things and shopped for bargains to save in other areas. And with Kyle we just slapped it on the good old credit card and then used DH's overtime to pay it off

yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 9:13am
I think this is something we'll do.
I'd seen it a few months ago and wasn't too sure because I wasn't convinced that medical procedures were advanced enough to take advantage of it. That was until I saw the article in the North Shore Times last week, which pretty much made my mind up. It's expensive, but no more so than 18 years of home insurance.

Milliemoo
YvetteandElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YvetteandElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 11:42am
Oh I would love to read a copy of the article, We are seriously thinking about doing this, however my question is as we did not do   it with DD1 what would we do if she need stem cells and she was not a match with this DD2. Can you go overseas etc

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2009 at 7:29pm
Under current nz law you can only use the cordblood for the child it was collected from, which means you can't use it for another sibling or for yourselves. That may change in the future as it's not inline with what other countries do.
In the US and UK you can donate cord blood rather than have it collected for your own child, I would think it unlikely though that you would be able to access those banks from here as I expect the demand for them would already be high in those countries.

Cordbank have a website www.cordbank.co.nz, the article might be on there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>