FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedegg, butter, milk free cake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: egg, butter, milk free cake
    Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:00pm
just pinched this off TNN, sounds yummm and thought one of you might like to try it...

Moist Chocolate Crazy Cake

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup castor sugar
1/3 cup of cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vinegar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup cold water or coffee (I like coffee - just use the cheap stuff)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. In a 20cm nonstick cake tin, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarb soda and salt. Poke three holes in ingredients with handle of a wooden spoon. Pour butter or oil into one hole. Do not mind if it overflows. Spoon vinegar into second hole and the vanilla into last. Pour cold water over the top and stir ingredients until smooth.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Place the pan on a rack to cool.

Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:21pm

Vinegar interesting - are you going to make it and do a review for us so then we can decide to make it???

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by mummy_becks mummy_becks wrote:

Vinegar interesting - are you going to make it and do a review for us so then we can decide to make it???

lol!!! i was hoping someone else would...

i dont have any plans tomorrow tho and have all the ingredients so i might give it a go...

Edited by Bizzy

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:53pm
This sounds pretty similar to the cocoa cake in the Allergy website. It has vinegar in it as well and OMG it is sooo yum!

yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:16pm
I have made this cake before, ages ago in my poor uni days - at least it sounds the same. It's quite yummy but plain, it's nice to slice in half and spread with jam & whipped cream

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:38pm
I think vinegar is the replcemnt for eggs but don't quote me as I am not a domestic goddess

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 3:57pm
well i made it!!!!

and it is great. so easy to make it only took me minutes...and very moist and soft. I think tho it would be really nice with some chocolate drops in it...or warm with cream...mmmmmmmmmmm

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 1:16pm
What kind of vinegar? Sorry I'm thick!!!!! I have spare chocolate drops too!!!

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 1:37pm

I make a similar one, and it's cider vinegar.  Don't judge the cake by it's mix... the baking takes the vinegar-y flavour away!  Yep, it works like eggs do.  Who would have thought?!

Andie
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 2:28pm
I have cider vinegar!

Do you think if I used a medium sized square lined casserole dish, I could use that as a cake tin. Mine broke a couple of weeks ago. Failing that, I will just borrow one of mums this weekend.

DIY baking, haha!

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 4:41pm
Nevermind, I found a really old cake tin. Cake is in the oven as we speak. Easy to make.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 7:49pm
I use malt vinegar in the cocoa cake in the Allergy NZ book.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 12:32pm
Yep I use malt vinegar too. Yep vinegar is one of the things u can use in baking to replace eggs! The recipe I use is very similar to this and is sooo yummy! I havent found a better choc cake recipe,...no one can beleive that it has no dairy or eggs! Was great for Isla's birthday cake. Made in advances, frozen, then defrosted and iced!

You can use this recipe or any other cake recipe and put it into muffin trays or mini muffin trays, just bake for less time,..then freeze on a flat tray. Once frozen put them in a zip ock bag, and get some out as needed!

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 1:07pm
Bumped for Kim
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 4:38pm
bump

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply