FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDue Feb 09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 386>
Author
Colapop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colapop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 7:34pm
hi,
so - just what is hypnobirthing? I'm imagining a pendent swaying back and forth.. I think i'm probably way off? Are you hypnotised before you give birth so you don't remember it?

My baby kicks sometimes take my breath away - they are strong. Also, when baby moves he/she often stands on my bladder (or it feels like that) and I need to get to the bathroom asap. I'm nervous about wetting myself infront of a room of teenagers! At least they know i'm pregnant now so probably would just assume 'my waters broke' :-)

Cola
Sponsored Links

pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 8:17pm
Anyone else wake up in the night with pins and needles in their hands? it's driving me crazy!

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 8:46pm
Haha Colapop, that sounds funny. Although of course it wouldn't be funny at all to wet your pants standing in front of a class. Hope your class room is close to the toilets.

The hypnobirthing is not quite as you imagine it. If it were I bet many people would sign up for it!
It has to do with self hypnoses. It basically comes down to practising relaxation, so that when you give birth you are able to relax your body which will enable a much quicker, easier and less painfull birth. Marie Mongan claims that today many woman believe that birth has to be very hard and painful so they become afraid of the experience. This fear however is exactly what cause the muscles of the uterus to tense up a lot, which in turn does make it very painful. If you are able to get rid of that fear you will be able to work with your body and your baby, and your uterus will be able to do what it is designed for. When you read the beginning of the book she explains it very clearly, and to me it does make a lot of sense.
Of course there will be exceptions where medical intervention is necessary. But if you have a non-risk pregnancy you should be able to use hypnobirthing.
Hope this explanation makes any sense to you?
Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Ella Ella wrote:

Originally posted by Spirals Spirals wrote:

Forgot to add - I had my first hypnobirthing class last night, and it was quite enlightening. Also saw 2 birth videos, and still not keen on watching them. Much rather be up the head end!!!
But at least there's an improvement, that was the first time ever I've watched anything remotely related to birthing and not gone faint and pale and had to hug the toilet for ages after. So that's promising.

Where are you doing your classes Spirals?
When I signed up I thought, it's worth a try. But during our class she told us that you really have to decide to do it or not to do it, because a lot of it has to do with your mind set. Trying it is not an option. And you know what, it actually feels really good to have decided that I will have my baby through hypnobirthing.

I haven't told too many people yet, because I know many will tell me that you can never plan a birth, that it will always turn out differently, etc etc. But I'm quite happy to believe this will work.
And for me I think it's really good to have this confidence, because it was the idea of birth itself that has scared me for many years.

That's exactly how I feel - I've only told a few people about it, and most of those have said 'every birth is different, you just never know'
But I have confidence in this.

Edited to add: My classes are in Wellington (Kapiti Coast)

Edited by Spirals
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 9:02am
I haven't been on here for so long there's like 4 pages to catch up on! Will have to read it all over the weekend.

I did read a bit and saw someone saying we're supposed to give 15 weeks notice or something to work - why would that be? I assumed it would just be normal notice period - a month for me. I checked with work and they seemed to think that was right too?

I suppose I should read before asking questions but anyone else been feeling really down? I spent most of last weekend crying, went to work and cried more on Monday...over nothing! Just feeling sad, but have no idea why Stupid hormones.

Better get to work I suppose.
febbabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote febbabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 9:09am

Auntie Sarah I am so over my hormones today, feel very teary. Had a terrible sleep last night which really hasn't help either. I keep waking up, as for some reason I kept trying to sleep on my tummy.
Not sure about the leave notice period as I work with DH in our business and he's known I'm pregnant for a while! As long as your work are happy with the notice you have given them then thats the main thing I would have thought.
Hurray for Friday.
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 4:44pm
Glad to hear it's not just me! Hooray for Friday indeed, first pregnancy yoga class tonight then I'm planning on a nice relaxing weekend (hopefully without too much crying lol).
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 5:34pm
Definitely not just you Auntie Sarah, I was just posting about the same problem about a week ago I think it was Have found reading books that have good emotional moments (as long as it's not sad stuff about babies) are good for a good cry to get it all out (and/or romantic movies lol).

pomikiwi, I get the random pins & needles in the night as well. I was meant to ask my Ob about it last week and forgot but have found that if I just move my hands for a bit it goes away .. I don't get them every night either. Still frustrating though!

Gas, I've also had the sore hip thing .. not so bad at the mo but I am up to 3 pillows, a small cushion and a folded up towel ("under" my belly as I lie on my side) so it could be all my props finally doing their job.. Poor DH! ...

TGIF! So glad it's the end of the week. I have a lovely day ahead (yoga, baking and then pizza night with friends) but I still feel like I'm coming down with a cold so seriously considering going back to bed and forgetting about yoga
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 8:55pm
AuntieSarah, I've been a mess for the last week or so. I wonder if a lack of iron could be contributing to this. I had to stop my iron tablets nearly 3 weeks ago because of severe constipation and thing just seem to have gone downhill since then (I tend to have problems with low iron). On my mw's advise I have now started taking Floradix, which is a liquid iron that apparently does not cause constipation. I've been taking it for 3 days now, and I do seem to feel a bit better today, i.e. no crying (but maybe I just feel better because it's weekend ....)

Regarding the parental leave, this is what it says on the website http://www.ers.dol.govt.nz/parentalleave/employees/how-to-apply.html:
"Applying for leave
You should apply in writing to your employer. This is important, as it makes it easier to enforce your rights if there is a disagreement. In most cases, you need to give your employer a letter at least three months before the baby is due. You do not need to give three months notice when your employer agrees to let you give less notice."

I told my boss when I was 6 weeks pregnant, but they don't require me to put anything in writing. I also told them quite early the date that I intend to stop, just so they can take that into account with their planning. I do have a very supportive boss though, so that makes it easier.

Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Gas Gas wrote:

Is anyone waking up with sore hips in the night from lying on 1 side too long. It feels like now if I'm not waking up to pee it's to turn over.

Gasxxx

I feel like that! Not that I have sore hips, but my shoulder and my side (from the waist up) get very sore. It's like my skin has become very sensitive.
It's a bit disappointing, we bought a really comfortable new matress last year, but lately all of the sudden it's not comfortable at all anymore.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 9:17pm
Ella, I know what you mean about your mattress not being as comfy any more. Ours is just over a year old and until really recently I loved it! But then again, I spose it's only recently I've had to sleep on it on my side

I'm baking a cake! Just put it in the oven so it doesn't smell all tasty just yet. I hope it works out OK, I haven't tried this one before (flourless orange cake) but they make a really good one at this cafe I go to so thought I would give it a go, we're going out to friends' for dinner tonight.

Ella, hope the liquid iron keeps working for you too.

Have a great weekend ladies!
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 9:29pm
Mmmm, I wish I had a cake in the oven. Bit too late to start now. Maybe tomorrow, that would give me time to buy some ingredients as well.

Hope your cake tastes well Kiwisj. Your cake sounds interesting, but hard to imagine.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 9:33pm
If it tastes good I will post the recipe tomorrow

It's from taste.com.au - I've been using lots of their recipes lately, they have a really good lasagne recipe too
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Angs1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angs1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 11:27am
lol... Cake in the oven.   It just made me think of that ol saying "bun in the oven" lol.

Floriadix is good I have felt much less tired since taking it.

Had some rather big news this week. Looks like DH is going away for 3 months starting exactly when baby is due. Guess I'm doing this whole thing by myself ay.
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 11:39am
You poor thing! Does your DH have to go away for work? I can imagine that both of you are quite disappointed.
I hope you have family and friends close by to help you out.
Aithne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aithne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 12:13pm
Hi there, is anyone still having morning sickness???

Since ive started back at tech on monday its like ive lapsed back 2 months, its horrible!!

Feeling sick all day every day, throwing up in the morning and at night. The other night its like i turned into the exorcist, i thought i was ment to be over this stage
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 1:42pm
^^ poor you thats awful I'm so glad thats all behind me. Hope you feel better soon. (are you taking elevit? that makes you feel terrible, especially if your diet is good to start with, just a thought.)

Angs1982 - that terrible, hope you have other support to help you. What does your hubby do?

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
Aithne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aithne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 1:58pm
Nope, im not taking anything. One lady thought i might have low iron, but im eating meat and all my bloods from 3 months ago were fine, so i dont know.
Aithne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aithne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 1:59pm
Nope, im not taking anything. One lady thought i might have low iron, but im eating meat and all my bloods from 3 months ago were fine, so i dont know.
Colapop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colapop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 6:11pm
Ella- thanks for explanation about hypnobirthing – makes sense, the power of positive thinking is strong! I use the carbonyl iron pills and don’t have any side effects… yet.

Kiwisj – how did the cake go? If ok, you could post up the recipe!

I wondered how much exercise everyone is doing? I go aqua jogging once a week (it's great!) and for 20 min walks about twice a week - but maybe should be doing more?

Cola
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 386>