FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGluten-free recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluten-free recipes
    Posted: 31 May 2008 at 1:17pm
Please post your favourite gluten-free recipes here for me! And also comment on whether you like to buy all-purpose gluten freeh flour or use separate ones (tapioca, rice, etc)
Sponsored Links

ItchyFeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItchyFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 1:42pm
What kind are you looking for? i.e. main meals ideas, breakfasts, baking etc. I have heaps of recipes, but find the Healtheries website has some good recipes. I tend to buy mostly gluten free stuff if I have to choose between 2 kinds e.g. stock powder, cornflour, sauces etc i.e. I can cook most things gluten free just like I would prepare a normal meal. Then it just becomes automatic to cook gluten free because you don't plan a meal and then realise you can't cook such and such. Also, Bin Inn has a lot of gluten free stuff with recipes.

Healtheries
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:45pm
I'm looking for biscuits for now, and also pancakes although I think I've found one online. All the different flours is making me cross-eyed though! I guess it might work best with pre-mixed GF flour to start with but I'd prefer to make my own - figure out how it all works and save some $$ too.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:52pm
aaannnd.... what kind of flour to use for a fruit crumble? Please tell me that gluten intolerant ppl can still eat crumble!
ItchyFeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItchyFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 5:11pm
I just use the Healtheries simple range (no, I don't work for them!). I tried potato flour once, it was such a disaster. I use the baking mix one wherever I'd use standard flour, including in crumbles, although it does have baking powder. If the BP is a problem, I'd just use the bread mix flour. I don't have any problems with it as it's a relatively low amount. You could probably also use almond meal in place of flour for crumbles, but it's expensive.   I also make crumble with GF cereal.

I score the Foodtown range GF pancakes when they're on special and throw them in the freezer.

I haven't tried this myself, but it's from the Allergy NZ cookbook.

Special Mix Pancakes and Waffles
GF Flour Mix (makes 9C)
6C white rice flour
2C potato flour
1C tapioca flour

Pancake and Waffle Mix
4C GF Flour Mix as above
1C soy milk powder or coconut cream powder
1/4C sugar (optional)
11/2tsp salt
4tsp GF baking powder
2tsp baking soda
4tsp egg replacer

Pancakes
2 eggs or 2 tsp egg replacer
1C water
2Tbsp oil
11/3C pancake mix as above

Beat together eggs, water and oil (add egg replacer to dry ingredients if using). Add mixture to pancake mix and beat until smooth. Don't overmix.
Makes about 12-14.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

aaannnd.... what kind of flour to use for a fruit crumble? Please tell me that gluten intolerant ppl can still eat crumble!

I make the best apple and plum crumble. I use Healtheries Baking Mix for the crumble.

I have heaps of recipes including a good cheese scone, yummy savoury muffins and the best choc chip biscuits.

I have so many recipes you can use, honestly I go a bit nuts with cook books plus I've experimented and adapted all my old favourites too. Can I fax them to you and maybe we can take turns posting them for other people to use too?
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 1:52pm
Sorry Teresa, I've been terribly slack about going through my recipes for you. I was looking at old posts on here though and found this one from Bizzy. gluten free recipes

I'll have a look at cookbooks tonight. Is it just general baked stuff you want?
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 6:12pm
Stuff for afternoon teas at work
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 1:18pm
Not a recipe but 4EverFree do a gluten , wheat, dairy & peanut free Ginger & Date Cake which is scrummy.
Stays moist even after a few days of being opened.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 8:17pm

Sorry Hun, I've been terribly slack.  Here's a few of my favourite afternoon tea type recipes to start you off.

Savoury muffins

6 bacon rashers

1 small red onion finely chopped

2 tomatos chopped

175g fine cornmeal

125g gluten free plain flour (I use healtheries bread mix)

2t baking powder (edmonds is GF)

1c cheese

200ml milk

2 eggs

3T vegetable oil

method:

cut rind and any excess fat off then chop up the bacon and fry it in a lightly oiled pan for 3-4 mins with the onion.

mix the cornmeal, plain flour and baking powder in a bowl and add the tomatos, cheese, bacon and onions.

in a seperate bowl whisk the milk, eggs and oil.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix well.

divide among greased 12-muffin tin sections and bake in a preheated oven at 220C (or 425F) for 20 mins

transfer to a wire rack to cool.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 8:21pm

Gluten free cheese scones

Mix 2 cups GF bread mix (I use healtheries) with 2t baking powder and 1/2t salt.  Add 75g grated cheese and mix in 1 1/4 cups milk.

knead briefly on a floured board and shape into a large square. 

cut into 8 - 10 pieces and sprinkle more grated cheese on each

place on a floured tray and bake at 215C for 10 mins

(for alternative flavour try adding paprika or mustard powder to dry ingredients)

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 8:29pm

Chocolate lovers cake

175g butter

175g caster suger

3 eggs

2t vanilla extract

25g cocoa powder

175g gluten free baking mix

1t baking powder

100g of chocolate buttons

method:

Put the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla essence, cocoa powder, flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl and beat for about 2 mins until smooth and creamy.

Put into a lined, greased 20cm cake tin and sprinkle with chocolate buttons then level the surface.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 25 mins or until firm to the touch.

Ice with chocolate icing

I made two of these for Michaela's birthday, one using a bit more cocoa and dark chocolate buttons and the other following the recipe and using milk chocolate buttons.  I then sandwiched them together and iced with white chocolate icing - was so yum, especially for a chocolate lover like me.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 8:30pm

Let me know if you need other recipes/ideas and I'll get back to you in few weeks

am sincerely sorry about the delay in posting these

ETA: for pancakes I use the pikelet recipe from my edmonds cookbook and just replace the flour with Gluten Free baking mix

Edited by MrsMojo
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 8:53pm
Thanks Jo
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:51pm
Does anyone have a good gluten free cupcake recipe? Does icing have gluten in it?

I'm going to make some cupcakes for Capreces wee playcentre party but there are a few gluten free kids so thought I'd just make gluten free for everyone.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 5:43pm
Chelsea icing sugar is gluten free, that's about all I know so far
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 6:30pm

When I make cupcakes I usually cheat and buy the Basco Gluten free butter cake mix.  I do have a recipe but I've never tried it.  Here it is anyway.

Flower fairy cakes

75g gluten free flour

50g ground almonds (or another 50g of GF flour and omit the almonds)

1t baking powder

125g butter, softened

125g caster sugar

2 eggs

finely grated rind of 1 lemon plus 3T of lemon juice

225g icing sugar

orange and yellow food colouring

method:

Line tarlet trays with 18 paper cases

Put flour, almonds, baking powder, butter, sugar, eggs and lemon rind in a large bowl. Beat with electric whisk for about 2 mins.

Using teaspoons divide mixture amoung the paper cases and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20-25 mins until golden and just firm to touch. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

To decorate put lemon juice in a bowl and mix with icing sugar to make a smooth paste.  Transfer half to another bowl and colour one half orange and the other half yellow.

Ice half of the cupcakes with orange icing and half with yellow icing then using a piping bag pipe flowers over the cupcakes in the contrast coloured icing.

Edited by MrsMojo
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 9:15am
Thanks Jo I'll give that one a shot
surfergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 11:29am
There was a gluten free cupcake recipe in the Sunday Star times. It looked delish - for hummingbird cupcakes - had pineapple and coconut - and to make it totally irresitable they had cream cheese icing...I'll see if I can find it.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 8:17pm
Ooo they sound yummy surfergirl

I made the ones Jo posted, they look a bit funny but taste great so thats cool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>