FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGluten free dessert??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluten free dessert??
    Posted: 25 June 2008 at 7:44pm
We are going to my brother and SIL's place for dinner Saturday night and I am taking dessert. SIL is gluten intolerant. Any ideas on what I can take that she can also eat? I don't really want to have to go out and buy too many ingredients and I don't know how often I will use them.
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 8:23pm

How about:

•  meringues (home made or store bought, just check the ingrediants) with fresh fruit salad and cream or icecream.
  • ambrosia
  • gluten free crepes (available from woolworths) stuffed with cream then lathered with maple syrup or berry couli
  • icecream, sorbet or frozen yoghurt

Do you have a butlers chocolate cafe up there?  They do a delicious gluten free chocolate brownie.

Go out www.mfd.co.nz to find out if ingredients/products are gluten free.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 8:34pm
If you really want to get into baking, there are some Arnotts Rice Biscuits (not crackers) that are suitable for putting in the likes of homemade cheesecake. But I'd go for the fruit salad and icecream plan!
gypsynita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsynita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:14am

The latest edition of Healthy Food magazine has a big special on gluten free food - with a ton of great recipies... (it's my new addiction )

Anita
Mum to Cian (Aug 08), Josh (Jun 10)

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:21am

Oh, is July out already? 

*sneaks off to newsagent*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:06am
Thanks ladies. will check out the mag, but I like the idea of fruit salad and ice cream, nice and easy - I was obviously trying to get too fancy!
Lindsey

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:24pm
I've got a GF chocolate truffle cake recipe if you want, but fruit salad and icecream sounds much easier and really yummy.
Mum to two wee boys
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:27pm

Flissty, can you post the truffle cake recipe anyway?

Linzy, the other thing I thought of was chocolate mousse.  You can even buy the packet stuff if you're too busy to make it from scratch - Hansell's Chocolate Mousse is gluten free.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:49pm
Chocolate Fudge Cake (Sophie Gray/Digby Law)

250g butter
250g dark chocolate
8 eggs, separated
250g castor sugar (make sure it's GF one)
250g ground almonds

Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool.

Separate eggs. Place yolks in one bowl and whites in another. Beat yolks with castor sugar till pale and thick, then stir in the ground almonds and the cooled butter/chocolate mix. Whisk egg whites till stiff and fold into the other mix.

Pour into greased/lined cake tin (23-25cm). Bake at 180 for 1 hour.

Decorate with ganache, melted chocolate or chocolate icing recipe from Destitute Gourmet chocolate fudge cake recipe.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet, but we have a family birthday coming up where several people are Coeliacs, so will make it then.
Mum to two wee boys
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 1:52pm
Yum, that sounds good.  Will definitely have to try it.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 5:34pm
Oh my goodness, that sounds more than good!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 5:35pm
Yeah, I can just picture the 250g butter and 250g chocolate moving straight to my butt and thighs
Mum to two wee boys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:41pm
Thanks MrsMojo, will try the mousse as well. DH has a really sweet tooth so may need it as well as the ice cream
Lindsey

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Flissty Flissty wrote:

Yeah, I can just picture the 250g butter and 250g chocolate moving straight to my butt and thighs

Oh, chocolate and butter evapourate off me

I wish!!!!!!
angila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 5:15pm
you can have either Green and black milk chocolates or Sweet William chocolates. Its best to have gluten free and organic products
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2010 at 11:25am
Rice Biscuits for cheesecake base! What a great idea, must remember that one.

I'm going have to try that chocolate fudge cake.

I make the rich moist chocolate cake with rice flour and it comes out a treat.

If you were eating in your house I'd suggest 'Baked Alaska'.
I think the original version has sponge cake but my version is whisk 6 egg whites until stiff, fold in a few dessert spoons of sugar.
Then layer a dish with frozen berries, icecream and the meringue mixture. Put in the oven @ 250degs until the top of the meringue is cooked.
Has to be eaten quickly
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2010 at 3:46pm
I do a rice pudding with stewed fruit in the winter, real comfort food.
littlestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 2:10pm
I love apple crumble in winter - just swap the regular flour for something GF (I just use a GF baking mix) and use either ground almonds or coconut or whole rice flakes instead of oats - YUMMO!!
 Post Reply Post Reply