FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLunches/Snacks for Allergy Kids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lunches/Snacks for Allergy Kids
    Posted: 07 July 2008 at 10:09pm
Samara is allergic to dairy/egg/seasame seeds and I am running out of ideas on what to give her for lunch and snacks as it always seems to be the same thing.

So am looking at what other kids with these allergies have in case there is some food I don't know about.

She has plain rice cakes, plain rice crackers, bbq wheelies, fruit, vegies, vegemite sammies, dairy free rusks, mother earth bars and that's about it.
Zac Mark - 30.11.05
Samara Ailsa - 13.08.07
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2008 at 11:36pm
its a pity you didnt get to the allergy show on the weekend... i bet they had a few ideas!

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 7:14am
Hi, Spencer is allergic to diary, eggs and peanuts so quite similar to what you are dealing with.

Other things I give Spencer are cornflakes as they are a great finger food and he loves them, I spread stuff on his rice crackers to make them more interesting as well like avacado etc. Oh and signature range make casava crisps which she should also be ok to have. Once she is one you could also try a little soy yoghurt. Apart from that its pretty limited, so I will also be interested in what other people do.

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 7:55am
Good old BBQ wheelies Charlotte lived on them when we were in NZ!

Mini saveloy sausages (you would have to double check the dairy content though) they sell them in the deli dept in the supermarket. Traditionally they aren't supposed to have dairy in them.

I have to avoid egg and peanut for Charlotte so I bake alot- there are a few recipes out there for dairy/egg free things. Try a google search.

Found this recipe, don't know if they're any good but worth a try if you're desperate!

Dairy free oat and raisin squares
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:

* For the Filling:
    * 3 cups raisins
    * ¼ cup lemon juice
    * 2 T honey
    * pinch of salt
    * For the dough:
    * 2 cups oat flour
    * 2 cups quick rolled oats
    * ½ cup oat bran
    * ½ cup sugar
    * 2 t. baking powder
    * 1 t. cinnamon
    * ½ t. salt
    * 1 ½ cups soymilk

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9x13” baking dish with parchment. Set aside.

2. In a small saucepan mix the raisins, lemon juice, honey and pinch of salt until well combined. Add enough water to cover and turn on the heat to medium. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down the heat and let the filling simmer until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed and raisins are very tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. Meanwhile, prepare the crust. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, bran, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until well mixed. Stir in the soymilk, mixing until just combined.

4. Assemble the bars. Spread half of the dough into the prepared dish. Spread the raisin filling evenly on top of the crust, followed by the remaining dough. Sprinkle with extra sugar if desired, and bake until golden brown, about 25-35 minutes. Remove, cut into bars and serve warm or cold.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 8:16am
I just remembered something else. Would only be a treat but new world and pak n sav sell outback crackers, they are in the organic section and are yummy. They do two flavours vanilla and chocolate.

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 12:54pm
Yeah I was gonna say the Outback biscuits, also the Orgran brand choc animal biscuits - some new worlds have a good supply of suitable stuff, or health shops.

Isla loves dates- they are full of calcium too,...you can make date spread for crakers, sandwhichs. Chop them, cover with just enough boiling water to cover,..then once soft they mash up into a paste.

Brocolii is high in calcium too, and Isla was eating it as a finger food from like 8 months- she still loves it and we often take it as a snack in her lunch in a little container!

Mini muffins- Emma has good recipes for daiury/egg free pineapple and carrot muffins, and choc and I think she makes vege ones too,...I will see iof I can fish out the recipe- oh check out the recipe section-I think they are in there too. We freeze them then just defrost them as needed-we have some in the freezer at daycare too for when the other kids are having regular birthday cake.

Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 1:26pm
Thanks for your replies. A few more things I can add.

I'm already giving Samara soy yoghurt (forgot to add that), should I not be giving it to her yet? I thought as on the Plunket chart that they are allowed yoghurt at 9 months that it would be ok??
Zac Mark - 30.11.05
Samara Ailsa - 13.08.07
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 1:29pm
I was told by the paed not to give to him until 12 months as if they are allergic to diary giving soy too early can cause a reaction to that as well. In the end I actually waited until he had his skin prick test at just past 12 months.

Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 2:11pm
Samara is on soy formula - started at 9 months after seeing an Allergist so I guess the soy yoghurt should be ok.
Zac Mark - 30.11.05
Samara Ailsa - 13.08.07
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 2:26pm
Yep I would say so, if the doc said to use soy formula then giving other soy products would be no different.

Post Reply Post Reply