FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFlourless Orange Cake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flourless Orange Cake
    Posted: 19 October 2008 at 12:53pm
My favourite cafe has this in their cake cabinet nearly every day - it's soooo delicious with some natural yoghurt I had to give it a go making it myself.

Got the recipe from taste.com.au

Flourless Orange Cake

(serves 12)

Melted butter, to grease
2 oranges
3 eggs
215g (1 cup) caster sugar
300g (3 cups) almond meal
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder

Orange Syrup
1 orange
155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar

Method
Preheat oven to 170°C. Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) springform pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line base with non-stick baking paper.

Place the oranges in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes (this will reduce the bitterness of the peel). Refresh under cold water. Drain. Coarsely chop oranges. Remove and discard any seeds.

Place the orange in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.

Use an electric beater to whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Add the orange, almond meal and baking powder and gently fold until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.

Meanwhile, to make the orange syrup, use a zester to remove the rind from the orange. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel the rind from orange. Use a small sharp knife to remove white pith. Cut rind into thin strips.) Juice orange.

Place rind in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain. Return to pan with orange juice and sugar. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens.

Turn cake onto a serving plate. Use a skewer to gently prick the top. Spoon over syrup. Cut into wedges to serve.

-- I don't have a zester so used a vege peeler to get big bits of the rind and then used a seive to strain the syrup before I poured it over the cake. Took this cake to a dinner party on Friday night and it went down a treat!

ETA - I also don't have gluten-free baking powder so just used the regular stuff and it was fine.

Edited by kiwisj
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Sponsored Links

katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2008 at 3:20pm
Sounds great. Thanks for that.
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 1:52am
I will definitely try this one out kiwisj, although once I'm back in NZ and have my food processor! Sounds delicious!

I haven't heard of almond meal, I guess I should be able to find it in the baking section in NZ supermarkets, I'm guessing it's a bit like bran flakes or such like, or am I completely wrong?
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 1:29pm
Almond meal is basically just ground almonds - I found it in the Organic section here which meant it was expensive But I'm sure in NZ it would be easier to find!

Also I chopped up the oranges with my hand-held blender - it has a "food processor" type attachment (you know, with the bowl thing and a blade). I reckon you could chuck them in a blender in batches and that would work too.
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply