FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp! Don’t Know What to Do ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Don’t Know What to Do ...
    Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:43am
Hi Everyone ... just hoping for some advice as usual

Amy has started sleeping through the night from around 7.30pm to 6.45am. She's done it 5 nights in a row now. I thought this was fantastic and the long term goal for any baby but the Plunket nurse isn't so sure as Amy isn't stacking on the weight. At her last couple of check-ups she first put on 120g in 1 week and then only 160g in almost 2 weeks.

I feel like in the last couple of weeks we'd really turned a corner with her being much more settled, feeding better (or so I thought) and sleeping through.

The Plunket nurse suggested waking her again in the night for an extra feed but i'm hesitant to do so. Help please! DH thinks it's all rubbish and we're doing fine but i'm the one who has to "face the music" each week with the scales.

I should mention that Amy was a sizable girl at birth (4.3kgs) and is now almost 5kgs. The Plunket nurse was torn as to what to do because she thinks maybe Amy grew larger than she would have inside me and is going to be a smaller girl in the long run.

??????
Sponsored Links

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:52am
I'm no expert, but I would stick to what you're doing unless Amy seems unwell.
If she were lethargic and pale, and not feeding well or much throughout the day then it would make sense to keep feeding through the night, but if she is hungry when she's awake and feeding well, interactive and happy, then why fix what's not broken?
How often does she feed during the day?

Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:57am
I guess i'm feeding her on demand through the day but I don't let her go longer that 3 hours from the start of one feed to the next one. She's always been quite a slow lazy feeder and gets worse towards the end of the day. We're currently doing a feed around 5.30, followed by a bath, more feeding and then a top up bottle of EBM by DH before bed. It's an exhausting couple of hours

I'm thinking of maybe giving the 10pm dreamfeed a go with a bottle ... probably of formula at first until I can build up my expressing.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:57am
Sorry, but once Issy started sleeping through the night there was no way in hell I was going to wake her lol

My mw said to wake her during the day, but at night to feed her if she woke, otherwise leave her. (Although we didnt have weight issues)

Surely if she needed food she would wake for it?
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:57am
Yeah plunket can be a bigger pain than good sometimes. I think as long as she is gaining some weight at each weigh that you shouldn't worry. You know you daughter best - is she happy through the day because she is obviously happy at night?
I wouldn't wake her personally I think that she would ask to be feed if she needed it.
Maybe if you were concerned you could feed more often through the day but then I would be concerned about her getting into a cycle of snack eating.
It will be interesting to see what people say on this one. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 9:59am
Totally agree on the Plunket thing first! If it wasn't for the weigh-in i'd think I was doing brilliantly
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 10:04am
We had the same situation when Daniel was 3 weeks - his weight platueaued (he was 4.2kg when born, and plateaued at 4.5kg). He was sleeping through the night (bliss) but we were concerned by his weight. After about 5 nights he started waking in the night for feeds, so did it himself. So I didn't have to decide to start waking him (luckily, cos it would have been a hard decision to make!). Is Amy on track with all other developmental milestones? If I was in your shoes, I'd probably give it another week or two and then review the situation. Mum's sleep is important
Mum to two wee boys
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 10:28am
I would be reluctant to wake her, she is gaining weight. If she had gained nothing or had lost weight I would worry. If she is alert and happy during the day and has lots of wet nappies I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
If you do decide to try and give her extra food then I would do the dream feed that you are talking about, if you are awake for it (as opposed to your DH doing it for you) then I would just pop her on the boob instead of giving formula. The rooting and sucking reflex works when they are asleep and she will quite happily feed off you without even waking up.

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 10:31am
I have to say Im with lilfatty! Once Caden started sleeping through there was no way in hell was gonna wake him for feeds either. The way I see it is that if they are hungry they will wake up!

Amy is obviously happy with sleeping through, so in my honest opinsion I would leave her be.

Also-Plunket kept telling me to not give caden solids until 6 months, but I KNEW he needed them sooner, so he wa son babyrice just before he was 4 months, and a MUCH happier boy for it!
Plunket can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Id go with mothers instinct(I always have).

Edited by Mum2Caden

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 11:36am
Thanks so much guys

I've just spent the last hour and 15 minutes trying to get as much food as possible into her. Maybe i'll try doing that during the day and leave her at night.

Maybe she'll have a growth spurt soon and start waking up herself at night needing extra food. At the moment she does wake during the night but quickly settles off to sleep again. Surely if she was hungry when she woke she'd cry out?
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 12:13pm
Yep!

One thing I have learnt is that a hungry baby will not sleep
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

Yep!

One thing I have learnt is that a hungry baby will not sleep

I agree!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 12:51pm
dont worry too much about how much she weighs. she could be growing in length instead, my boys always did.

Charlis_Mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlis_Mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 1:36pm
Plunket did the same thing to me - put me in a right panic.

I thought I was doing great as Charli had been sleeping 10 or 11 hours at night consistantly for ages and although she was gaining weight at a slow but steady rate, they still thought she wasn't drinking enough in a day and to encourage her to drink more. I'm sure you all know how hard it is to force a baby to drink!!

As long as she was a happy baby, then we had a happy family and I have learnt not to take things Plunket say too seriously.

Edited by Charlis_Mum
cat007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 2:19pm
I agree with everyone - plunket occasionally gets it wrong. I wouldnt wake her. If she wakes herself though I would feed her but as long as she is putting on weight then it doesnt matter. In the first few months, babies apparently should put on 100-200g a week. These can fluctuate though, some weeks only 60-80g and others well over 200g. As long as she is not loosing weight I wouldnt worry too much. Go with your instincts on this one! I do suggest though that if she starts waking in the wee hours of the morning then wake her up for a dream feed at approx 10pm instead - give her a top-up and hopefully she will start to sleep through again.
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 4:23pm
Such good advice as always. I love Ohbaby

Thanks everyone
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2008 at 6:46pm
Sometimes a baby will not put on so much weight for a couple of weeks and then growth spurt (and then they'll often wake in the night again too!). Keep on doing what you're doing for another two weeks, then go back and get her weighed at the Plunket centre (just drop in, people do it all the time, you don't need to explain it) and if you're still concerned about her weight increase then go with the dreamfeeds.

She was a pretty heavy baby at birth but was she overdue or on time?
BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 9:31am
Personally, I wouldn't worry.
5kgs for her age is in the 50th percentile.

At 2 months Hannah was 4.72kgs and wasn't sleeping through the night - so she was getting that extra feed.

While Plunket can say things you disagree with, they're just going on what's average for babies at the same stage. They don't know your baby like you do, so just take what they say with a grain of salt.
They're there to help guide you, so just take what info you find useful and leave what you don't

You're doing a fantastic job, follow your instincts and enjoy the sleep

*eta* Hannah's just had her 9 month check and is 7kg on the button - so not quite a 3kg gain in 7 months. But she's happy, healthy and sleeps though the night. PLunket nurse was a little concerned, but she knows Hannah better now, so is a lot more relaxed about her size.
Keep up the good work

Edited by MamaPickle

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 9:38am
Thanks MamaPickle

busymum, she was overdue by 6 days and still didn't want to come out when I was induced! I ended up having a c-section
tamiem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2008 at 9:46am
Hi - our DD arrived a whopper at 4.5 kgs, and started sleeping all night (11-13 hrs) from a month old.

She didn't put on terribly much weight from around 2 wks - to maybe around a month old. She was born in the top percentile, but then over this time shot down to close to the middle one (in her Well Child book). I was a bit worried at first, but she was happy and healthy and really settled so I figured she was okay!!! (and our Tipu Ora nurse was happy with her).

Now she's 5 + months old and growing really well (up and out) and still sleeping well during the day and at night.

Hope this helps!
The Sale Fairy is a weekly email newsletter, advertising online sales & specials for baby, children’s and maternity products.

www.thesalefairy.co.nz
info@thesalefairy.co.nz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>