FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat Foods Put Baby Off Your Milk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Foods Put Baby Off Your Milk?
    Posted: 15 December 2008 at 3:29pm
Just wondering what others have experienced in this department.
My little girl never refuses the breast, even if she's not hungry, but for the last 24 hours she's been screaming and below as soon as we assume the position for feeding. I've just given up and given her a bottle ... which she downed in minutes!
Can't think of anything strange i've eaten. Could it be something unobvious?
Help!

Edited by Zebra7
Sponsored Links

TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 4:22pm
could be a number of things...........do you smoke or drink? onions garlic etc...she may be allegic to something....spicy foods.............o9r she has just become ms independent early haha...........why dont you go get it checked..............or for a experiment try expressing if she takes it out of the bottle then its not you.............do you where moisturiser etc.....my boy refused to drink when i put sunscreen on.
hang in there...like i said the list goes on of things it could be but you can get your milk tested but sorry i dont know where in welly town..............good luck
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 6:35pm
When I started out I was paranoid about the food I was eating and whether it would upset bubs, but the only thing I've had that seemed to unsettle him was a big glass of proper squeezed orange juice.

My SIL sent me these links:
Breast Milk Interactions Chart
Are there foods I should avoid?

But after some experimentation I've found pretty much anything is ok, and according to kellymom (I know, I sound like a broken record constantly recommending that website):
It is generally recommended that you eat whatever you like, whenever you like, in the amounts that you like and continue to do this unless you notice an obvious reaction in your baby to a particular food.

Great advice TysMummy, and good point about the sunscreen! JJ was being funny about feeding off me at one point this weekend when we were out at a bbq, and I put it down to distractedness, but it could have been sunscreen - I will have to experiment to be sure!

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 6:54pm
Blue cheese . One of the 'joys' of having him was that I could supposedly eat it, only he gets really upset by it. Fortunately he now sleeps from 7-7, so I can eat it after he goes to bed
Mum to two wee boys
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 7:52pm
Apparently I did that for my mum after she ate curry. I haven't had any issues with what I eat relating to my bf babies but Hannah when on a breast strike when I got my period back - that's a hormonal thing and can make the milk taste salty, apparently.

Does she scream on both sides? Sometimes a sore ear/ear infection can put them off and that is picked up largely when they refuse one side but not the other. And then of course there is the fast let-down factor

Edited by busymum
KiwiL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 8:57pm
Hmmm, Jackson was being a pain this afternoon and, now that I think about it, it seems to be a similar behaviour to another time I ate pesto on toast....

I feel an experiment is in order....
Margs B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margs B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 9:31am
Also i remeber when my sister had her little boy he would not feed if she was talking. He wanted her complete attention and would stop and cry until she figured out what it was that was making him do it.
DS March 09 IVF
Angel Baby Jan 13
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 9:34am
Aoife refused the breast for a day. Thankfully my sister was visiting so she bottle fed Aoife while I BF Eimear.
After failed attempts of getting her on the boob I just left her have a bottle for the evening / night feeds.
The next day she was back to loving the boob again.
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2008 at 9:44am
Thanks for all the response ladies

Amy was back to her usual feeding self at the 5pm feed and then had her usual bottle at 7pm but took ages to settle. I think she's just being a bit stroppy during the afternoon because she was fine at the 10.30pm dreamfeed as well and has been good this morning.

Am a little nervous about the afternoon ... if she's the same as yesterday we might make a trip to the doctor, just incase it is an ear infection ... but you'd think she would behave the same all the time if it was something like that?

Oh, and she doesn't seem to have a preferred side when feeding off me either ... she's a mystery
 Post Reply Post Reply