FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnti-histamine during pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
soph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti-histamine during pregnancy
    Posted: 06 February 2009 at 9:39pm
My UK's anti-histamine stocks that are safe to use during pregnancy will be pass "use by" date next week. I only take them when I get strung by bee as my mouth and throat swelling up if I didn't as well as taking them for insect bites.
Now I am pregnant again and are there any anti-histamines in NZ that are safe for me to use during pregnancy from pharmacy? or it is case of trip to GP to get one?
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links

busyissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busyissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 7:22pm
I would definately see your GP for that one, your midwife might know some too.
*Lou* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Lou* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 4:06pm
Phenergan is safe to use while pregnant.

In fact, my sisters obstetrician actually prescribed it to her when she had trouble sleeping during pregnancy!
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 2:44pm
I was prescribed Phenergan a few days after baby was born, and my GP said it's safe during pregnancy too. I'd see your GP about it first though, to make sure you have the correct dose.
Andie
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 8:21pm
I was given Polaramine at the pharmacy when I got bitten and my ankles kept swelling. It's only the low dosage (2mg or something - not the 6mg one) but safe anyway. It's also good for morning sickness, but the pharmacist told me that's not a reason to take it all the time, but if I was feeling rather off one day just to pop a pill lol
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

I was given Polaramine at the pharmacy when I got bitten and my ankles kept swelling. It's only the low dosage (2mg or something - not the 6mg one) but safe anyway. It's also good for morning sickness, but the pharmacist told me that's not a reason to take it all the time, but if I was feeling rather off one day just to pop a pill lol

My Dr prescribed that for me too. It was fantastic, I slept really well on it also and it stopped my hayfever.

I didn't know that itw as good for morning sickness. That is something to keep in mind...

Gaelic Lass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaelic Lass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2009 at 1:09pm
I was prescribed Loraclear while pregnant / and then while breastfeeding. I was told it was safe to use. Phenergan works the best - but can really knock you out - you must take it an hour before bed - so you are not so tired during the next day.
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2009 at 2:41pm
What were you given in the Uk? there may be an equivalent in NZ with a different name. also things we take in UK which are deemed OK are also off the list in NZ, I found that all the time. Best to talk to your MW or GP
soph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 4:14pm
Thanks for your helps.

I went to GP in the end after my DD got stung by bee on monday but that was alarm ringing to get myself sort out asap. (she is not allergic to bee I am so pleased!)
I used to take pirition in UK and pharnacy book stated that it is bit of risk in pregnancy (thanks to UK GP! ) so GP and I look at all other medications that would to suit my level of allergic to bee and it is safe to unborn baby..we picked Chlorpheniramine maleate EL 2mg/5ml in syrup. Just till I had baby then switch to stronger one.
 Post Reply Post Reply