FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBring a Plate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
grrrgrrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grrrgrrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bring a Plate
    Posted: 23 May 2009 at 1:58pm
Well I hope someone can help me with this one. I am originally from Sweden and I find brinign a plate really confusing. Trying to brign somehting that everyone will eat a bit of a challenge.

We have a joint birthday party coming up and one of the children is allergic to a lot of things, we cannot bring anythign containing nuts, milk, egg or soy.

Any ideas of what I can bring?

Others are already bringing crackers, saveloys and rice bubbles.
Mattias 2yo
Henrik almost 1
Sponsored Links

grrrgrrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grrrgrrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 1:59pm
Sorry forgot to add that they are turning 1.
Mattias 2yo
Henrik almost 1
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 2:20pm
Here's a few ideas from what I've seen at 1st birthday parties...

- Little ham sandwiches cut into shapes (eg stars)
- Fairy bread (100s and 1000s on bread)
- Fresh fruit platter (this is always really popular)
- Mini muffins (if you can find a recipe without egg or milk... I've used a yummy chocolate muffin recipe that doesn't have milk in it, will check to see if has egg)
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 3:41pm
I second the fruit platter. It always goes down well with both the kids and the adults.
If you check out the AllergyNZ website they have some great easy recipes for everything (egg, dairy, soy etc ) free foods - otherwise if you would rather buy something, check out the Orgram range of allergy friendly cookies in the health food isle of the supermarket.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 4:20pm
I've just done a compilation of all the allergy friendly recipes on here, there are lots of ideas in there. Here's the link to the thread (and now will go and add this thread as Liz & Sterryn have given you some good ideas too!)

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 6:34pm
first off i wouldnt bother trying to please everyone, you will never succeed

you can either take something for the kids - and a fruit platter is a great idea and then you cant go wrong with allergies and stuff... or take a nice cake and say you brought it for the adults as you werent too sure about the ingredients you were allowed for the kids...

i personally think it is a bit unfair to say bring a plate and put restrictions on it cause of allergies etc

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 7:43pm
I agree with Bizzy. My oldest 3 all had/have allergies and I never expected others to cater for them coz it was too tricky. Maya's birthday was dairy/egg/soy/nut free coz it was her day and coz I knew lots of suitable options as that was her usual diet.

Some of the things we had that were dairy etc. free were Shapes crackers (the chicken crimpy flavour is dairy free), fairy bread (made with Olivani which is dairy free), dairy/egg free muffins, Oreos cookies (yep, dairy free) and fresh fruit.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 8:11pm

I would take something that you think would be ok you can't please everyone I also find that taking a savoury option is normally quite a good idea as normally people take packs of biscuits etc. What about mince savouries would they be ok? Maybe not with the eggs?

I also think its a little bit rude for them to say if its specified in invite that you "can't" take things containing the allergins as that can make it extremly hard for some wouldn't a request be nicer?

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 8:37pm
In fairness to the hosts, it may be that the child has an anaphylactic reaction to nuts (for example) so there are times when it is necessary to put some restrictions on. (But personally, if that was Daniel, then I would cater it myself rather than make everyone else jump through all the hoops).

That said, avoiding nuts, eggs, milk AND soy is a hard ask for people who are not used to cooking with such restrictions.
Mum to two wee boys
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 3:03pm
I wouldn't have made it potluck if I had an allergy kid... I still would have been nervous that someone had misread an important ingredient!!

What about a bag of marshmallows or some rice crackers? There are a lot of good ideas on here, just remember 1yo's are not very hungry so don't overdo it - just a small plate
grrrgrrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grrrgrrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2009 at 12:47pm
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I think I might go with one small plate for the kids and then somethign cakey for the adults.

Mattias 2yo
Henrik almost 1
 Post Reply Post Reply