FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedplease help me get DD into a routine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: please help me get DD into a routine
    Posted: 23 September 2009 at 12:20pm
I have recently weaned DD off the breast.

The most she will drink from the bottle is 140ml. Even that is a struggle. Sometimes its 100ml or less. She has a bottle every 3/4hrs

She is having at least 600ml per day, but she is also waking at 10pm & between 2-4pm.

Doesnt anyone have advice or tips on how i can get her drinking more during the day to try get her sleeping better.

She has also been refusing solids & finger foods. I have been just trying to get them into her when possible so atm she is having breakfast, lunch at 2pm & she will refuse dinner everynight

Any help would be great TIA Sabrina
Sponsored Links

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 1:43pm
Maybe have a look at www.babywhisperer.com. They have great routine ideas for various ages. They base things on a feed-play-sleep cycle that follows the baby's age and cues. They have good suggestions for common problems such as 45min sleeps, early wakings etc etc etc.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 1:51pm
How old is she? Distraction is great for getting Bubbas to drink more, walk around with her, jiggle her on your knee, get someone to shake a noisy toy in front of her. They will often forget about the fact they are protesting and continue to drink while distracted. As for solids, have you tried just having her up on the table with you while you eat and just let her eat with her hands - messy but it might work? Just some ideas I'm by no means an expert
Madiandmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madiandmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 2:21pm
How old is your DD?
My DD has days like this, doesn't want any food and flat out refuses more than 30ml of formula..
Plunket nurse just said "A healthy baby wn't starve itself".
She is right, as she will miss a feed and guzzle back a full bottle next feed.
Also I have found DD is fussy with formula too,
she will not drink a full bottle ( 200ml ) of Karicare in the pink tin ( It's really cheap ) but is happy to with Nurture 2 and she looooves te gold ones in both brands.

Maybe you could try that? You can buy them in little sachets so you don't have to fork out for a whole tin!!

Just an idea =)
GL!

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 2:24pm
She is nearly 9 months old
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 2:52pm
I had a similar problem with my DD and eating/drinking a couple of months ago. I taught her how to hold and use a spoon herself and found she became a much more enthusiastic eater. It was messier and took what felt like an age to get the food into her but she ate most of what I served up if I let her spoon feed herself. I used to give her the spoon to hold then guide her hand to dip it in the food and guide it to her mouth. After a few days she got the idea and could do it herself.

Also I found offering a variety of finger foods (esp banana and toast with marmite - Gabrielle's favs) helped - I used to break off a tiny piece and put it in her mouth then put the rest in her hand. I also used to sit there and eat the same thing as her and make noises like "mmm, yummy. Isn't this good Gabrielle. Mummy and Gabrielle are eating the same thing" etc etc with a smile on my face, and not react if she refused to eat, threw it on the floor, or smeared it in her hair etc

With bottles I just let Gabrielle drink what she wants. Sometimes its only 60 - 80 ml, other times its 200ml or so. I only offer the bottle 3 times a day though, and I try to only give it to her 1 hour or so after she has eaten.

My DD's basic routine (she is 9.5 months old):

6.30am solids for breakfast (pears and apple muesli usually)

7.30am bottle

10am morning tea (finger food or some yoghurt)

11am lunch

12ish bottle

3pm afternoon tea (finger food)

5.30pm dinner

6.45pm bottle before bed at 7pm

The routine is farily flexible and depends on what is happening on the day and how long she sleeps for and what time she wakes in the morning.

Hope that helps.

PS - Gabrielle has 3 sleeps a day. 8am - 10am ish (on a good day!), 1pm - 3pm ish, and 5pm - 5.30pm.
Madiandmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madiandmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 3:21pm
Same age as my bub,
I would say not to worry!
If shes thriving and happy and active etc then you are doing great job!

Sometimes my DD will on take 50-80ml of frmul en happily drop off to sleep.
I've just put it down to her knowing her own body!
Good luck

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by TaylahsMummy TaylahsMummy wrote:

She is having at least 600ml per day, but she is also waking at 10pm & between 2-4pm.

Doesnt anyone have advice or tips on how i can get her drinking more during the day to try get her sleeping better.

Is that supposed to be 2-4am????

Dunno...wish mine would sleep through, makes no difference to how much I feed him, yet his sister slept through from 9 weeks old
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply