FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula top up or early solids?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula top up or early solids?
    Posted: 19 October 2009 at 7:54pm
Hey - just a quick question to see what others would do .... without going into too much detail, Morgan has been having expressed milk in the evening for a long time, but she is just so hungry some nights and after sleeping thru for about 6 or 7 weeks she has been waking in the night since her 12 week growth spurt. Plunket think my milk quality is part of the problem, having been pg/BFing for almost 3 years straight (my teeth are demineralising from it, resulting in two fillings already!!). She is also feeding on average 2.5 hourly all day and more in the evening. I drink heaps and eat like an obese man!!
So anyway - she needs more than I can give ..... I've been trying to hold out on formula til shes on solids (like I did with Jake) but I'm running out of stored ebm and don't have time to express more than 1 or 2 times a day ..... so - would you do a formula top up at night, or start solids in a couple of weeks (4 months)?

I'm thinking I should try formula first .... but since she is a big bub, she may be ready for solids early anyway.

Thanks!

eta: that was quite a few details! haha

Edited by Nikki
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Sponsored Links

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 8:04pm

personally I would give her a formula top up first rather than starting her on solids early.

good luck.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 8:53pm
I second that idea
It sounds like your body needs a break! As long as you are happy with formula feeding then I personally think it would be better her than early solids.
Oh, also if she has trouble with formulas it can give you a while to find one that suits her instead of working out whether it's solids or milk
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 10:38pm
Yup, given that she's obviously a wee greedy guts, I'd personally go with a FF topup since you seem OK with that. She's still pretty young for solids.
Mum to two wee boys
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 11:10pm
Please forgive my directness, but I really strongly disagree that there is any kind of "quality" problem with your milk. Her feeding behaviours sound well within the range of normal for a baby her age, and I would suggest contacting a lactation consultant or a local La Leche League leader for some additional information.

Do you have any family or friends who can actively support you to spend the time you need to feeding your daughter, or looking after your boy so you can sleep / rest as a bit of a catch up? Have you tried any of the recommended supplements for boosting your milk? Almonds are great, as are all protein rich foods, and there is a recipe out there for lactation cookies as well that apparently do a great job - plus things like fenugreek tea, blessed thistle etc.

However, I do acknowledge I am not in your shoes, so to try and see it from your perspective I would probably wait at least another couple of weeks before formula comping, and continue to hold off solids until closer to six months.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:18am
I would be inclined to try formula first.. as chickoin said, incase of reaction and her digestive system is still bit little for solids

Re the quality of your milk... my GP told me that is an old theory that has since been rubbished. The fact that your having the problem with your teeth shows that your body is starving you of nuturients to feed your baby iygwim.

And just so you know you are not alone, Jake was sleeping through until his 12week growth spurt then he spent 2 weeks feeding every 3 hours around the clock with 1-2 nour cluster feeding from about 4pm to 10pm. At 14 weeks he started feeding 2.5 hourly through the day until about 4pm then he would feed hourly and crash about 6.30pm sleep until about 1am and then back to 2.5/3 hourly feeds until getting up at 6-7am. Even with EBM top ups and solids he still feeds 3 hourly during the day and wake once or twice a night for feeds. So comping and solids may not make her sleep through the night again.....

GL hun, its a horrible feeling thinking your bubba is hungry!

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:30am
I agree with Hippymama & melnel - My DD is nearly 7mths and still isn't consistently sleeping through the night, although she did (12 hr stretches) from roughly 11/12 weeks till 4-4&half mths.. then everything changed!
I have also been told by several medical professionals the same thing about your 'quality of milk' being rubbish too. Many Plunket nurses seem to have this fixation with getting babies to sleep through the night at a ridiculously young age!
Also, DD is still feeding 1&half-2 hourly during the day.. (demand fed) sometimes, if we're out & about shes happy to wait 3-4hours.

Anyway, definetly would try the formula instead of solids.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:32am
The reason I wasn't going to go into detail, was to avoid answers from judgemental "breast is best" people ... I know breast is best, I BFd my son til 10.5 months with 1 formula / day from 6 months by choice, not necessity. And that was thru heart failure and open heart surgery, and a month in hosp where I had to express 3 hourly round the clock for his naso-gastric tube top-ups and bf in between ... with a baby who was still at his birth weight at 7 weeks, and I still didn't go to formula!!!!
But for me personally, and for my family, sleep is best! She slept thru from 5-12wks and I have had almost a month of broken sleep since - yes I know its normal - but I also know that she is capable of sleeping thru the night, and she is not getting enough milk during the day now so waking genuinely hungry. I do try to rest during the day as Jake has a big sleep still, but Morgan has some days of very short sleeps so that combined with being up in the night is exhausting. I eat HEAPS, and have used blessed thistle earlier but that made me even hungrier, and I had an oversupply so she had wind issues then. I have been using complan to help also. But I do think it makes sense my milk is less fatty in the evening when I'm more tired and shes wanting more feeds ---- and if my teeth are feeling the effects, I'm sure the rest of my body is!!
And no - there is no one else who can feed her in the night for me (without going to formula) - I have no problems with the day feeds - she can feed as much as she likes during waking hours!
So anyway - my question was not about increasing milk supply, just what others would do in my situation.

She was over 9lbs at birth and has always been able to hold her head up and has lost the tongue poking out reflex - hence me thinking she will be ready soon after 4 months for solids.

She did however sleep 7.30-5.30 last night .... so I managed to express twice last night and a little this morning, so have enough ebm for tonight and a little extra. Thats 3 out of 5 nights, so hopefully things are improving and she won't need extra ebm top ups the next few nights so I can get ahead again!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:43am
Just saw the last two posts:
Melnel - the fact that my body is starving of nutrients is a bit of a worry to me!!! Yeah, I know I'm not alone ..... it doesn't make it any easier though. Especially when I have a couple of FF friends bubs who always sleep through the night. Its amazing how much more human you feel with a good nights sleep! My son slept thru consistently once on 3 meals a day (6 months) so I'm assuming as she has been a great sleeper she will too. It was a little easier getting up in the night when I didn't have a toddler to run around after during the day though!
Mamma2N - the plunket nurse was actually shocked she slept thru from such a young age, and didn't encourage it at all .... but the milk quality explaination was because she only does it about once a week now and is very random with the times she wakes and how often she feeds.

Edited by Nikki
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:43am
Sorry if you thought I was judging you... I wasnt it!

I am not pro BF, I am pro feeding!

Just wanted to share my experience as it sounded similiar to mine and what my GP said about the myth of poor milk quality....

Oh and how sadly the solids did not help my Jake sleep through...

Glad Morgan did a big sleep for you last night, I totally get the sleep deprivation too. That was the breaking point for PND when Jake stopped sleeping thru and went on 3 hourly feeds again.. I snapped.

Again, I am sorry if you thought I was juding you I promise you that is NOT what I was doing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:45am
SNAP! Posting at the same time!

It would worry me too, pg and bf is hard on our bodies! Your health is just as important as your childs hun.

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:49am
Out of the 2 options I would go for the formula option and hold off solids until closer to 6 months. It's simply too soon for them.

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:51am
melnel - that comment wasn't aimed at you - I hadn't even seen your post when I wrote it! and after my time of severe sleep deprivation when my Jake was little, I can see how it would trigger PND ..... I was getting about 3 hours sleep a day in 1-1.5 hours blocks and it was torture!!! I'm sure I came close to PND too.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:56am
melnel - snap again! Yeah, when the dentist told me about my teeth thats when I started to think about my own health too!

Hopefully your Jake will be like mine and sleep through again soon .... my Jake did exactly what yours did - it took 2 nights to drop his dreamfeed at 6 months and he slept 7-7 from then on.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:56am
Ok good I can wander off happy I have not started the day offending someone

edited for shocking spelling!

Edited by melnel

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:56am
I would try the formula first if I were you.
Just one word of warning though, formula and/or solids might not make any difference to how much she sleeps for you. She may not take to solids either, Kyle showed no interest till 8 months despite showing all the signs of being ready much earlier, he would not take food off a spoon and finger food was hit and miss for a while as well. Also now he is eating 3 meals a day plus snacks and BF on demand and he still doesn't sleep through, he goes to bed at 7 and then wakes either at 10pm or sleeps through till 2.30ish and then either way wakes again around 5ish.

edit to put in a missing word

Edited by cuppatea

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 10:00am
If it was aimed at me, I do apologise for upsetting you as that was not my intent. I don't disagree with what *you* have said, just with what Plunket has said as it is more often than not an inaccurate diagnosis (re milk quality).

I have been down the sleep deprivation / unsettled baby / formula road before, but then things changed with DD2 and I was just suggesting what I would have tried first, given that I don't know you personally or what else is going on for you.

In the end, you are Morgan's mama, and the final decision is up to you... not any of us.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 10:10am
Even if quality is not the problem, there is definitely a quantity problem by that time of night. I never had a problem with Jake because of the way he fed (more consistent times), but I could always express double in the morning than the evening .... and Morgan is a bigger hungrier bub who has a more random / frequent feeding pattern.

Thanks for the responses ..... I was just curious about what option others would choose (not wanting to start a debate on BF vs FF or early solids) and it looks like you'd all do what I thought - formula first if needed .... hopefully I can get ahead on ebm again and wait a month or two longer like originally planned. I have no issue with the odd formula feed once shes on solids - I did that with Jake and it worked for us.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
 Post Reply Post Reply