FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeight Loss after Baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Loss after Baby
    Posted: 12 November 2009 at 10:35am
Just curious, how many people have experienced a huge weight loss not long after having baby?

Today Cam is 2 weeks old. And today I am now 8.5kg lighter than my pre pregnancy weight!

Is this normal? I don't remember losing this much last time and if it carries on, I am going to be a shriveled prune! Cam is fully breast fed and I am eating like a horse too so its not as though I am not getting calories - plus he is putting on weight so no problems there.

I am not complaining, DH thinks I look amazing but I am wondering if/when it will slow down. I could probably lost another 10-15kg happily but after that, I wouldn't want to lose any more...

Sponsored Links

Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 10:52am
I wish I could say the same, but no nothing like that has happened to me.
I did know one lady though who lost so much weight that she had to give up bf after a few weeks. (but I don't know all the ins and outs about that case)

Sorry, not really much help am I.
IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 11:06am
Wow lucky! I hope that happens to me! Well ONE day when I finally have a baby!

Ps/ Cant believe your wee boy is 2 weeks old already! I remember when you got your BFP!
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
kiwikid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 11:09am
I was 7kgs lighter than when fell pregnant when DS was less than a month old but by the time he was 4mths I'd put that all back on again!!!! No idea how, suspect my appetite was greatly reduced during pregnancy but increased significantly with breast feeding (with a bit of emotional / boredom eating thrown in for good measure).

All I can say is if next time my weight gain / loss goes the same way I'll do my darndest to not put it all back on again!!!!

So in my experience it does level off and the extra calories might catch up with you. Or they might not! My DH says thats not a good enough reason to have another baby and I should just exercise more, how rude

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 11:13am
The other thing to do is get your GP to check your thyroid levels. my sister was really similar to you and it turns out her thyroid levels were really high.

I'm just jealous! Still 12kg over pre-baby weight
Mum to two wee boys
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 11:37am
I found that second time around, I think I still had about 8-10kg of pre-Jack weight when I got pg, then lost a heap, put it back on and only 2kg over, and am now only 2.5kg over what I was when I started making babies.

I did however lose a bit in the first few weeks after having Jack then put it back on when he was a few months old.
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 12:36pm
I'm liking the sound of this second-baby weight loss thing!
Two little girls under 2!

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 1:19pm

Didn't happen to me unfortunately but I think chocolate has to take a lot of responsibility for my post baby weight gain .

It's probably worth mentioning it to your doc or mw before it becomes an issue.  I wonder if LLL have any topics on it too.

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 3:10pm
within about a week of Ben being born I was at my pre-pg weight. I am now under that by a kg or so, just a few more kgs to go to get to my pre-Jack weight, wouldn't want to go lower than that. I was really surprised by the weight loss as like you I am eating like a horse and I am doing little to no exercise
Lindsey

Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 7:14pm
I put on 19kgs when I was pregnant and lost 13kg within two weeks after he was born. Admittedly he was 4.2kgs of those!

However 6mths down the line I'm stuck with the remaining 6kg

Oh hang on I just re-read your post! 8.5kg below PRE pregnancy weight?? I don't know then lol but when you find out feel free to share your secret!
skp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 9:43pm
oh if only for me! I put on 35kg and only lost about 8 with the birth and have been working very very hard to get the rest off.
Only got 14 to go now yay!!

hannibal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:33pm
Hi, I lost when I first had bubs BUT now am up again all the way back to starting point just got to get into gear ...
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 9:14am
I put on a total of 5kg during my pregnancy. Within a week after his birth I had lost 9kg. Now 11 weeks on I've lost a total of 20kg. It seems to have stopped dropping off me now though. I think having gallstones and my gallbladder out at 6 weeks helped things along though.

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 9:28am
Thanks everyone for your replies.

20kg in 11 weeks? Wow, thats impressive! I haven't lost anymore over the past few days so Ill see how I go. I have the MW coming on Tuesday so Ill mention it to her then though incase it does become a problem.

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 2:21pm
I hope the same thing happens to me!! Or at least it would be awesome to lose the weight I've put on during this pregnancy in 2 weeks - sounds awesome.
Debbie269451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie269451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 8:04pm
I put on 15kg my last pregnancy and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 13kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose the weight you accumulated during pregnancy.

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck bby!!!

Mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply