FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhow do i start up a website???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do i start up a website???
    Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:32pm
I want to help out 1 of DHs friends who is trying to make a living selling his beautiful wood carvings but he doesnt have a computer. hes very keen for me to start up a website and run it for him (im excited to do it) BUT i am clueless as to how to start up a website,,,,,the rules of doing so,,,,etc etc....

advice and info much appreciated please ladies and men

TIA
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:49pm
webs.com has an easy free website hoster & builder not sure about how to run it to sell thing like how nappy website do it.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:52pm
It depends on what sort of website he wants and your skill level really.. Oh, and how much he is willing to pay for hosting and domain name services.

If he wants a proper shopping cart type website there are free template-based programs like zencart or opencart. Otherwise there are companies that provide hosting and ecommerce services like shoppe pro.

Clear as mud? haha

BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:04pm
well hes struggling to make a living so i was hoping to find a free hoster and stuff (cheeky much!? lol).

Can a NZ website end in .com rather than .co.nz??????
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:23pm
I'm doing one at the moment with web.com I haven't published it yet but I am able to put photos up and there is a section where people can contact me if they would like more info etc. That might be a good start?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:30pm
I know few of the kitty ladies who have blogs and sell there stuff through there...

Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 10:28pm
Yeah I have been currently been working on just a basic blog tonight too. I am not exactly selling anything but will have contact details on the site.

I think I may have to check out some of the other sites as I am already feeling limited with what I can do.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 7:22am
Amber - yes a NZ company can have a dot come registration our company has one.

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 9:28am
maybe you can start by listing some of his stuff on trade me.

GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by BaAsKa BaAsKa wrote:

well hes struggling to make a living so i was hoping to find a free hoster and stuff (cheeky much!? lol).

Unfortunately you're not going to get it free from anywhere that I know of. A cheapish one is SmallFish

Otherwise TradeMe might be the way to go but then you need to pay to list on there as well.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 10:36am
There are some free hosting sites but they aren't reliable. But if you want to set up a website that has a shopping cart zencart is free which is what I used to use, it just takes a bit to get your head around how to use the back end of it to customise it to what you want it to look like.
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 11:10am
i think i might try TM as well actually, i reckon they would do well there!.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 11:33am
The thing that sucks about TM is that you pay to list and you pay that success fee which eats into your profits :(
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 2:48pm
On TM Its free to list so long as you dont add too many photos or things like gallery or highlighting and you can put your phone number or email in your profile and people can contact you through that if they want to skip the auction process. Success fee arent really that much but as above there are ways around them as you can also give out your address if people want to view before they buy.
 Post Reply Post Reply