FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJanuary 2011 babies!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 575>
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 5:14pm
I can't find my sunscreen anywhere and you can't buy it up here...well, unless you wanna pay $15 for a teeny little bottle of special manuka honey kiwifruit tourist crap.

I forgot to write about the glucose test - i got some info about it last appointment and i'll probably do the test at the next one, next month. For what its worth, my midwife said that the one hour one has a 25% error rate, so she suggests you skip that one and have the overnight fasting 2 hour test because if you fail the first one you have to do it anyway and there is a 1/4 chance you'll fail by error.

My only risk factor is being pregnant, so i dont have to take it but i figure i'll just do it anyway, wont hurt me and it might help.
Sponsored Links

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 8:44pm
I just did the one hour one, went fine,didn't need to do the 2 hour one, did with C tho

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Limochick Limochick wrote:

that girl sounds like a bit of a winner I was 20 when I had Thomas but no way was I acting like that I was at home with my baby. I always have the opinion (just my opinion) that if you make the decision to have a baby then you should be adult enough to deal with the consequences!!

I agree .
Oh so you know what date shes coming? thats cool , when ? you gotta do what you gotta do to get them out safe at the end of the day, thats the most important thing

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 8:56pm
I didn't do the polycose test last time, and don't know if I'll do it this time. I didn't fit into any high-risk criteria, so MW didn't see the point.... different MW this time, so will see what she thinks tomorrow at next apt!
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:00pm
My midwife hasn't even mentioned the polycose test so I don't know whether I am doing it or not plus I don't think it will be that fun having Quin sitting there for an hour

Kelly - she will be arriving on the 19th Jan Dh wants to set her room up in the next couple of weeks, I cant' wait

queenbean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:04pm

My midwife hasn't even mentioned the polycose test so I don't know whether I am doing it or not plus I don't think it will be that fun having Quin sitting there for an hour

Haha, true that would be fun! I had to sit in the hospital waiting room for an hour last time I did it too, but today at my midwife appointment, my midwife gave me the little bottle of drink, told me to drink it and then go down and get my blood tested an hour later. Much more efficient!!

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:08pm

Kelly - she will be arriving on the 19th Jan Dh wants to set her room up in the next couple of weeks, I cant' wait

aww cool ! my friend's birthday is that day, sounds like a fantastic day to me

Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:35pm
That sounds like a lot easier and better way Queenbean

Kelly - It was either the 19th or the 26th and I picked the 19th cos I didn't want to still be pregnant on my 30th which is the 24th and Quins bday is on the 27th and I would have missed his 1st bday if I had her on the 26th. I hope you can follow that it makes sense in my head

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:46pm
makes perfect sense to me!

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 4:52am
Im so jeleous you get to pick. Seriously.
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 7:50am
It has it's pros and cons. I am a bit upset that I won't get to go through another labour (seeing as though this is my last one) and it seemed a bit surreal after Quin cos I went in with no baby and then half an hour later I had him But at least knowing when she will be arriving I can organise a babysitter and dh can organise time off work

ChikkyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChikkyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 9:08am
I agree! I'd love to just show up at the hospital "I'd like my baby now thanks!", would save me one hell of a scary car trip down there in labour
fletch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 9:36am
HI all

I haven't been on for a while and you all have been discussing some interesting stuff - I can't keep up with it all as it has been a few pages since I have popped in. All I got was pain and beetroot!!!

My Mum came up last week from ChCh. It was good - although I got tired and grumpy and now feel bad. Then we popped down to Hamilton for the weekend for a first birthday party and then I have sleept for the last two days!! I am feeling the best I have in ages today - The MS still haunts me!!!

I haven't done any school work and know I will feel stressed for the rest of the holidays - as ERO is coming and that always adds stress - and it is my first time in a management role - mmmmm might blame anything missed on being preg!!

I like the receipe idea - I often get stuck for inspiration on what to cook - although I am looking forward to the warmer waether and salads!!

It is a nice day here and I am making the most of it by washing all the baby clothes we have so far.

We have decided on a name and am calling her by it - which makes her feel real - now we can't wait to meet her!! It is Gemma Jade - we have always liked Gemma and Jade is my nieces middle name - she is 19 and we are really close. (my brother had her when he was only 19 and she is a great well balanced young lady) -young parents are amazing I think!!!!

Well rumbled on about myself and now might make the most of how dam good I am feeling as I often don't feel this amazing - might go out into the world!!
blessedwiththebest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedwiththebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 9:43am
Limochick I agree with you 110% with you - if you decide to have a baby then you've gotta grow up & show some bloody maturity about it. Becoming a parent comes with huge responsibilities! Some girls just dont seem to get it. Some of DP's cousins have kids & they're still out partying EVERY weekend & planning where to go for New Years & bla bla bla. The stupid thing is; the aunties & uncles (i.e. the parents of the cousins with the kids) just let them get away with it & are basically bringing up their grandchildren themselves. Ugh.

Wannabe Thanks for the info re the polycose test. I did some Google'ing - apparently age doesnt have a lot to do with it - it might pay to just ask my MW at our next appt. Ohh my goodness & WOW re taking the twins to Homegrown haha. Arent most of the acts are inside big tents? Eeek that'll be interesting. I dont think I'd want my kid in that environment around all the loud music & drunk people & smoke & drugs etc. Each to their own though! The twins might have a blast - you could end up with two little rockers when they're older heha.

bowie Thank you for the gardening tips! Yay maybe I'll try suss that out this weekend. Ouch re the sunburn, have you got some soothing aloe vera or something to apply to it? You might have to buy some sunscreen online from somewhere like www.pharmacydirect.co.nz - or get your mum to send you some - ya cant go without all summer missy!

I was chatting to ChikkyD last night & we got onto the subject of routines for baby. Has anyone else read up or thought about this kinda stuff? No doubt those of you who already have kiddies will know a bit. I kinda thought that when baby is really little (i.e. through to 3 months) that it's more about demand-feeding & sleeping as theyre a bit little to force into a real routine. More than anything doesn't bubs sort of determine his or her own sort of play-eat-sleep pattern when they're newborn? Of course there are the obvious little things that can be implemented from week one like always bathing before bedtime so baby knows what's coming next etc. I only ask cos ChikkyD is reading a book that suggests you start a routine from week one & that you only have one night feed at 11pm (the "dream feed"), but most of the other info I've read elsewhere says that newborns usually need feeding every 2-4hours day & night. Did you find the name of the book btw ChikkyD? Dont get me wrong, by all means I'm keen to try establish a routine when we can, but for example if my two or three-week old bubs is hungry in the night then I'll be getting up to feed! Heheh we wouldnt have to worry about all that if we all got blessed with miracle babies who slept right through from day one... ahhhh if only.

What's everyone else's views anyway?
sweetknights View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetknights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 9:55am
Young - Mum-to-Be.. as regards to getting routines with my last baby i sort of let him set his own routine and like yuo said in the first 3 months you don't tend to get much of one as baby needs feeding at various time during the day and night...But one thing i always did from word go was make sure the atmosphere was completely diffrent at night and kept it pretty dark with just a low watt night light and tried to be as quite as possible so they start noticing that things are diffrent at night time... Connor slept through the night from 6 weeks can't honestly say it was done to me or just luck but will be doing the night time routine again..But gets really hard not to say much or play with baby especially when they give you a huge smile that melts your heart....

Chikky D --- Have you thought about staying in invicargill near to your due date so you don't have to worry about your 2 hour drive ??? or is it just not pratical ...

Am i the only one who has only bought one item of clothing for baby ??? Haven't bought anything else yet but have to say if you don't know what your having you don't get much choice of anything in the baby shops so annoying lol

I made a self saucing choclate and orange pudding last night and it was yummy but ate a bit to much and felt after but was worth it...
Hope your all well
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:07am
Haven't bought anything for the baby, but if it's a girl, we won;t really need anything, and if it's a boy then we can just get stuff after I figure! I went MAJORLY overboard last time, and bought way too much stuff - and they grow out of it so so quickly - so I figure by not knowing the gender, it's stopping me from buying stuff

Re: routines, it can be helpful to think of the first 3 months as the 4th trimester - so if you approach it that way, you do whatever needs to be done; carrying/wearing baby, rocking to sleep, feeding whenever, sleeping whenever - anything that makes life easier for you and the baby. I think too, that it allows you to get to know the baby's own routine, so by the end of 3months(ish) you can start figuring out what works for your baby. You can still do a pattern though, eg. sleep, feed, play etc.

I spent months of fighting to get Natalie to sleep during the day (because the books said she should be sleeping ), but until a year old, she never slept for longer than 30mins at a time We were both so much happier when I just followed her lead, and stopped listening to the books and plunket

I agree with keeping everything quiet and dark during the night though - babies often need to be 'taught' the difference between day and night, so may as well make it obvious!

I do think too that you can start doing some small self-settling things, but often they really can't do that until they're a bit older. The main thing is not to stress that just because you are feeding/rocking them to sleep at 3months, you will not be doing that at 18! They do eventually sleep by themselves, but every baby is different and needs different things. (and they haven't read the books before they come out )
ChikkyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChikkyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:24am
jess - your making it sound like i plan on starving my baby throughout the night The book suggests one big feed at 11pm and then only small feeds from then untill the morning should baby require them, so it doesn't necessarily 'spoil' the morning feed. Just thought i should mention it as it worked really well for the lady who gave me the book, and she insisted i give it a go, as it worked well with her being a first time mum. It was the only book she read while being pregnant, she didn't even go to antenatal classes as she preferred the 'ignorance is bliss' approach lol

I realise this probably (most defiantly) isn't everyone's cup of tea, but in reading it it just made total sense to me as i have no idea what i should be doing Sorry i didn't look to see what the book was called!! I promise i will look tonight (am at work again)

Sweetknights - i would love to go hibernate in Invercargill until the big day, but it isn't practical as according to me last missed period my due date is the 12th of January, and seeing as i knew the date of my missed period i was never sent in for a dating scan while it would still be accurate enough to give me a EDD. To cut a long story short my midwife said it will be interesting to see when bubs will show (shes super helpful).   

I wish my boss would hurry up and come and give me a break, i busting to go to the loo!!
Ksmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:26am
ChickyD: yea I thought it was early to start them too, but it is the last class running for the year in our area..better early than never! It was quite good, didn’t really go into too much, I guess they don't want to overwhelm you on your first night. There were lots of laughs and so made everyone a bit more at ease towards the end.

Young Mum: I was told by my MW that it was standard for all preg woman in our area...as apparently our area is classed as a 'high risk' ?? Whatever that means... so they make I standard for everyone?? Might be best to have a chat with your MW about it..

Have a great day everyone!
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:36am
I must say I think babies need routine but when they are little it is very hard to get them into one. I have never demand fed it just doesn't work for me so my babies have always been fed 2-3hourly when they are newborn and then at about 3 months I go to 4hrly feeds.

You honestly have to do what works for you and your baby will help with that

I deffinetly haven't brought only 1 thing for baby

blessedwiththebest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedwiththebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:41am
No no Chikky I didnt mean it like that! I just meant that I dont agree with the BOOK suggesting that - I dont think that you're gunna starve your baby hah & I'm all for reading up on stuff & getting info from books for help, it's all good for tips & ideas. Like Blondy said though, the babies havent read the books (hehe) & everyones different, no two babies are the same. Someone might find that something REALLY works for them whereas the same thing wont work for others. Please dont think I'm attacking you personally!

As for me & Joe we're planning on taking a pretty relaxed approach in the beginning & going with the flow for the first little while. We'll let baby let US know when he or she is ready to sleep or feed or eat & then eventually work on a routine from there. That reminds me, I need to look in to getting some darker curtains for the nursery so that we can control the amount of light getting in to help baby differentiate between day time and sleep/night-time.

Sweetknights dont worry, I've only bought 2 little onesie suits for baby. They're just plain white, one of them says "iPood" on the front (a take-off of the iPod brand) & the other one I got printed with "Baby Rickard" on the back for Joe for father's day We've already been given bags & bags of second hand clothes & will probably get more at the baby shower so we're not gunna worry too much either
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 130131132133134 575>