FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJanuary 2011 babies!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 575>
Author
sweetknights View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetknights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 11:23am
Would love a baby shower but i don't know enough people here to get one never mind hey .... I can't get my head around the fact that i only have 15 weeks to go lol But have now order a moses basket that is coming from the uk as i wasn't keen on what they had on offer round here and it has atually worked out cheaper to get it sent from uk than buying here lol so i'm happy ... I have a printed all in one that i got done in my last pregnancy which says property of Mr and Mrs Knights so will be able to use that as it was done in white....
Sponsored Links

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 11:28am
I would say don't worry too much now about routines etc - everything tends to go out the window once the baby arrives I was (and mostly still am) a highly organised, routine person, so I felt I needed a 'plan' so I didn't feel so out of control with the baby... but just wanted to pass along that it doesn't always work out that way, and you need to find something that works for you and baby

The only book/approach I will say something negative about is the contented little baby book (sorry if that offends anyone ) - it recommends feeding on schedule right from day 1, and if you're breastfeeding, you basically need to feed whenever the baby tells you, otherwise you can compromise your milk supply. When BFing (especially at the start), the more you feed, the more milk you have as it's a supply and demand situation. It wasn't an issue here, as I was feeding almost 2 hourly for most of the day! (bloody catnapping baby ). However, I've had friends at the other end of the spectrum, whose babies slept for 4+ hours if not woken, and because they were feeding so infrequently, their milk supply did drop off.

But as I said before, no right or wrong way (within reason) - you just need to find something that works for you & baby

Just found out I have to do the polycose and all because Nat was over 4kg at birth (which is a risk factor). No other risk factors here, but looks like I'm growing another large one, so better to be safe than sorry! She was all in proportion too, and has always been 75th-97th percentile height & weight..... so just appears I grow big babies! (which also goes to show size has nothing to do with being able to push them out )
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 11:57am
The problem with trying to have a baby in a set routine from day one , is that unfortunatly babies don't come with a manual and every baby is different.
Some will sleep soundly, some will be up all night and there is no way of knowing which one you have, until they are born.,
When they are first born they are so tiny and depend on you for everything and really should be feeding every 4 hours, at least.
There stomach is the size of their fist. Thats pretty small and it empties pretty fast .
From about 3 months they are a lot easier to get into a routine because the food stays in their stomach a lot longer .
IMO when you become a parent , you sort of expect sleepless nights in the beginning , they wont last forever though

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 12:03pm
reading back properly, In my experience,during the first few weeks, I prefer to demand feed, but I have a routine of when baby is up and when baby sleeps .

Which is also a biggy , so many people lose sleep with their baby cos they don't recognise tired signs, by the time your baby is crying, its usually too late and they are over tired, often babies will start staring into space, rubbing their eyes etc.....a lot of parents mistake the fact that they are running around happily as a sign they are wide awake, but when kids are overtired, its amazing how much energy they have got

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 12:16pm
Absolutely Kelly - and I think that the 1 hour up thing is great for when they're so little - of which feedng often takes 30min+ so they really don't get to be awake for long But at least you know they're not going to end up overtired and then won't settle at all!
islandgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 12:17pm
Damn house sitting with only dial up internet! Makes keeping up difficult!

I hadn't even thought about demand/scheduled feeding... hmmm better start reading up! Friends baby feeds at 11 then sleeps till 7 which sounded good to me, he's 11 weeks old (but is on formula which may help!?).

Sweetknights... seriously that dessert sounds FABULOUS! Ohhhh think I need to find a recipe for that one, it sounds gooood! Also I haven't bought a THING... DH's Mother is all set to make wraps/singlets etc which is Fantastic and friends have just been passing things on which is so very nice and helpful!!!

Has anyone thought about what their babies will be wearing in 6 months? I only ask as I was asked the other day and realised I can't really see past the first couple of weeks/month... is that bad or what?! Only realised yday that I am 5.5 months pregnant... that seems a LOT doesn't it?! I'm counting in weeks and hadn't put 2+2 together I guess, must say I got a wee bit (haha a BIG bit) of a shock!
pandrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 12:22pm

Routines - the best bit of advice I was given was; decide what I want to do or how I want to do it and stick with it.  Listen to what other people tell you but only take the bits you feel comfortable with. as everyone will tell you something different.

I was the type of person who had to have a place and time for everything.  I always had to be super super obsessivley organised.  To the point (just one exapmle and no joke) my wardrobe had to have all the same coat hangers and my clothes were all put in colour order and style order.  Long Coats, Long Dressee L/s then s/l then sleeve less etc. Light to dark.

For me when Charlie came along I was so over tired and emotional trying to get her into this routine I had read in a book by the time she was 6weeks old I almost had a breakdown.  So I tried a different approach I let her feed and sleep when she wanted and worte it down for 3 weeks.  Charlie always feed for a long time up to an hour at a time.  The day I decided to do what I felt comfortable with, she started sleeping through 6 hours at night (first time mother don't be fooled that sleeping through means all night, something I wasn't aware of ).  We both relaxed and I noticed she had her own little routine worked out.  I just tweeked it to fit me aswell.

I have a friend who swears by the routine in the book and it worked well for her and her baby.   I don't think you ever know whats going to work till you meet your own little one.  I think this time I will start writing down what baby is doing from the start then by 3 months I will have a good idea if s/he has made their own routine and tweek it to suit again. 

Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 12:25pm
I must say that I don't miss dial up at all

Also I can't wait to dress my little girl in dresses and things when she is walking but I can't picture her past 6months old at the same time

With Quin, he is fed 4hrly and he is up for 2hrs down for 2hrs and it works really well for him but he is 8months old!!

pandrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 12:44pm

Oh yeah and a big no no politcally .  I learnt to sleep while Charlie was feeding.  I would lay down on my bed and arrange her on a pillow and position myself so I couldn't roll on her.  She would just unlatch herself when finsihed.   I don't smoke or drink (maybe a couple of drinks a year) and aren't a deep deep sleeper.  So I felt comfortable doing this. 

amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 1:55pm
Islandgirl I can not visualise my daughter at all let alone in 6 months. however I have bought some stuff in the 6-9 months range, mainly sleepwear when it was on special in the winter sales. I probably have more in the 6-9 than in the 0-3months
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 2:01pm
I just went through all my girls clothes and I don't have alot of NB or 6-12month stuff but everything in between I have quite a bit lol. Lucky there will be good sales on around christmas and I know friends are collecting for me as well which is awesome of them

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 3:55pm
sh*t, just got a nasty shock when i got home from work (a 10hr shift today ) and my socks had cut SO far into my leg it looked like a speed bump. Serious swelling....argh! Make it go away.

I have a name for my wee one too, no matter how much i looked nothing struck me as much as Connor did, so Connor it is! And i know all the books say talk to your baby etc so last night (feeling stupid) i gave it a go and addressed him by name and he reacted with much enthusiasm. I think its a good sign!

All i am considering regarding routines is a bedtime one, feed change bath song sleep sort of thing. The rest i guess will go with how hungry and sleepy baby is. Though i have heard many people swear by a strict 1hr up 2hr down routine for the first few months. I dunno how it works really, not having a baby before but it seems you should leave sleeping babies alone, right? (i mean, within reason. I guess at some point you wake them up to feed?)
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 4:45pm
when they are newborns they should be feeding 2-3 hourly,course sometimes if you leave them so you can get an hour extra peace,it wont do them harm.

6 months from now it will be cold,so nice warm clothes .
Its funny,when I was pregnant with C I was picturing her right ahead to college,not so much with Ty and definetly not with this one

amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 6:21pm
arrrgh. I am really suffering from the fatigue at the moment. I went on a 40min walk into town and back this afternoon then I have only just woken up after 3 hours of sleeping and am still exhausted. I really dont know how you girls can still do your jobs.

also my rings seemed tighter on today so I have ended up taking them off. Will try them on again tomorrow as i miss them.
minxynzl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minxynzl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 6:47pm
Anyone getting calf cramps yet? Mine have just started during the night.

re - routine. From what I recall, it was a compromise situation with us and Callum when he was a baby. Some things he set the rhythym for and we fitted in if it suited...and some things we worked hard to get him to accept as routine. In the end you find a balance and even then you look back and decide you culd have done this differently, or that.
In other words, you do your best, make some mistakes, have some wins but above all else, fail to please everybody else and they way THEY would do things!! LOL - as all new parents will discover.
pandrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 7:54pm

Couldn't have said it better minxy

Hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 9:19pm
Hello

Amme - I am suffering from big time fatigue as well. Occasionally when I get energy I just do to much and wear myself out.

Blondy - I agree with your comments re: Contented Little Baby. I'm not a fan of that book, it is so strict it made me instantly want to rebel! I have friends who swear by it however. I think a big part of newborn care depends on your personality / preferences as a parent as well as your baby's temperament.

TheKelly - I agree some babies are 'good' sleepers right off the bat and some are little terrorists and there's no way of knowing what you're going to get! My we terrorist eventually turned into a baby who is addicted to a routine.

I was so stressed at the start because bub wouldn't go down awake and had to be fed / rocked to sleep. All these stupid books said that if you start out doing this they will never nod off on their own. Well that's not true, DS has no trouble getting to sleep on his own now and hasn't for ages. It's so cute he often likes to have a book in bed and 'read' himself to sleep!

Epidurals - god bless the inventor of this marvelous drug! I had one and did not need any forceps / ventouse etc. They way they are administered these days is more skillful so less interventions are needed when a woman has one. Mine was allowed to wear off enough so that I could effectively push.

Wannabe - as you're having a c-section you won't have to worry about this ... my ob (get free ob care with twins) said that twin 2 often "goes mad" when twin 1 has been born because it suddenly gets so much space! I was recommended to have an epi because I won't want to feel the sensations when they turn and possibly tame twin 2!! Great! Can't wait!

Bowie - you mentioned ages ago re: the music you were raised with. It was the same at my house - I preferred Kylie of course but love all that music now. DS seems to be getting into some of it too! But he also likes Lady Gaga.
Wannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2010 at 9:30pm
Ooooooh excellent another "can of worms" topic.
To use routines or not to use routines...that is the question!!!

Both DH & I love routines, lists, schedules, planners , 1-5 yr plans etc so when we were recommended a book called 'Save Our Sleep' we were hooked straight away. We know of about 8 families who have implemented Tizzie's routines at different ages (1 from 1 day old & he was sleeping from 7pm to 6am from 3 weeks old (with 2 dream feeds), and a set of twins who's mum & dad were about to separate from the stress of 2 screaming through the night & day 5 mth old babies & also severe lack or sleep - within 2 weeks the twins were sleeping 7pm-7am with one 11pm dream feed. That convinced us to want to give it a go (fingers crossed we have the same success).

Save Our Sleep by Tizzie Hall. Check out her Website to get a feel for her 'style'....it has free reading, testimonials etc.

OR

Google Books has 28 or so pages of her book loaded for free reading HERE

Tizzie has slightly different feeding routines for BF or FF babies or those who are combination feeding.

I'd be interested to see what the "already are mums" think about what Tizzie has to say!!!

If want a 'routine' that is a bit more flexible in the early weeks/months The Sleep Store recommends "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracey Hogg" who was on Close Up tonight & is often on Good Morning. Read their blurb HERE

Both highlight "self settling" for baby to be able to put themselves back to sleep and:
    * E - Eat
    * A - Activity
    * S - Sleep
    * Y - You (time)

On the other side of the coin is "Attachment Parenting". And I know of a couple of wonderful mums who love this style.

Personally I don't think I could cope with an 18mth - 2yr old still BFing for as long as they want 'boobie' & is still unable to sleep through the night without waking up wanting boobie or to be carried into mum & dads bed because they don't want to sleep alone....

...but each to their systems own right????

Clothing:
We haven't got anything yet either!!! Kinda waiting til after the babies shower to see what gaps there are & then buy stuff then. We'll probably need some premmie bodysuits or AIOs for at the hospital but will wait to see how much weight I can get on the babies & hopefully will know prior to the c-sect what size to buy for their "coming home" outfits. If they come early then premmie all the way I guess (& DH will have to go & buy them).

MInxy: yep re leg cramps - I find if you flex your toes towards your shins it goes away quickly!

amme: I just can't sleep at the mo so can fully sympathise with you doll - I had 3/4 of an hr last night & spent 5 hrs wandering Sylvia Park with my lovely MIL as her fashion consultant - she had a ball buying up large (and most of it was on sale which she never looks at so my FIL should be happy too!) but man am I tired (and sore) now - no swollen feet yet tho (touch wood). Oooooh I did buy 2 pairs of gorgeous shoes (1x cork wedges & 1x nude heels) tho from the Hannahs Outlet Store Mt Wellington Highway.

Bowie: what's on the menu this time - I'm thinking a kumera & orange salad but don't know what else to put in or dress it with. Any ideas doll???

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 4:48am
Baby spinach leaves. just toss them through. Its another good one for the feta as well, sweet things tend to go good with feta, if you want more cheese. I'd make a citris vinagrette, but balsamic vinegar would probably be delicious as well. Just toss through. To make a vinagrette, juice orange/lemon/lime (whatever citris is around, really) into a blender, and slowly pour oil in. I think the ratio is 1:3 (3 parts oil) to give you an idea. You can pretty much combine anything acidic with oil this way. If you like spicey through in a jalapeno (seeds OUT) as well. It may seperate again if you let it sit, but shake it hard and it'll all come back together.

Heres another one the germans brought with them - i think its bizarre and would never eat it myself but i know people went crazy for it on the buffet!!! Watermelon, diced into cubes. Spring onion, red onion, finely chopped, and black olives. Dress with a small amount of olive oil and balsamic. Add blue cheese. I think most of us are avoiding the blue cheese? But i can tell you balsamic and watermelon does taste amazing.
ChikkyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChikkyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 12:21pm
Wannabe - thanks for mentioning that book, i'd love to read another one with recommended routines and that people have said work for them, just to get a feel for them and to see how they differ from the one I'm reading (which is called Baby Secrets if i remember rightly). Crap can't find a copy of that book on trademe    

Minxy - I've woken up for the last three nights with the worst leg cramp. SO painful, i agree flexing your toes makes it go away instantly.

Amma - i have days where i'm super tired all day, and am finding other days i have plenty of energy, such as today!

Have been up since 6.30 doing washing, cleaning and pottering around.. am about to go exchange some shorts i got yesterday... for some reason i still think i'm a size 10 then i have to go get a warrant on my car (fingers crossed) take the pooch to the vets, and go exchange some curtains at guthrie bowrons. phew!

Hope the weather is as fabulous for you all as it is here xx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 575>