FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPlaycentre Mums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by shannon shannon wrote:

excuse my ignorance, can you start at playcenter at any age?

Yes you can, well in saying that it is for children birth to 6yrs
Check out the Playcentre website
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 8:30pm
Thanks Linzy
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 8:27pm
Bump!!

Would love to talk to some other Playcentre mums as we are in the visiting process looking to join at the moment!

DS and I did a SPACE program and loved it, and loved our first session at Playcentre (but OMG - exhausting!!). I'm just nervous about the time commitment. I work 3 days, and we'd be in Playcentre for the other two. How do people find the meeting/training side of things?
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 10:28pm
We only do one day a week, otherwise I would go crazy with that type of commitment.
I think when it comes to training it depends on your centre and how motivated your education officer is. I have heard stories where you can get guilted into do your courses as fast as possible in some centres but our is really easy going and I don't feel forced at all.
In saying that I do think that it should be a requirement to get course 1 because it
is really easy and it does help a lot with numbers. It is really up to you what kind of comittment you can make to playcentre, and I know that at ours we would understand that a working mum like you is unable to do that much.
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 10:38am
That's interesting Jo - both centres I've looked at here have a 2 day a week minimum policy.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 3:20pm
It's better for the kids to go 2 days a week its not compulsory. Every Playcentre is different and in Akl there are different Associations and they all do things differently as well.

I go to Greenhithe which is part of North Shore Association where Course 2 is compulsory that's not the case for West Auckland.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 3:51pm
We still go although we do kindy to now.

Our centre has a policy well not policy but guidelines to do 1 session per age. So 1yr=1 session 2yr=2session etc

We still like it. Its great going to kindy to because it makes me see how much better playcentre can be. I like the higher adult ratio. I also like how its not strict play activities etc its all child led,

Training isnt compulsory but if you plan to stay at PC rather than kindy i dont see why you wouldnt want to train to help/earn money if need be :) I have done the first easy course (2hours) but that will be all i do.
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 4:02pm
I'm quite keen to do some of the training, I like learning about the processed behind DS's play.
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 6:51pm
The courses are really awesome, I'm doing the course 2 ones and am learning so much about how kids play and learn and giving me real convictions about how I want my kids to learn which is good. Its funny how every association is different.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 8:09pm
To be honest I found it all too much time commitment and pressure when I went back to work 3 days a week. And that was with only one session of pc per week. So we ended up leaving, and it was such a relief not to have that pressure! It may be fine when you first start, but once you are one of the more long term members the pressure can really come on to do training and take on a "job" or more than one jobs. I found between monthly meetings, fundraising, term clean ups, courses and the odd other meeting or family evening it was just too much for me -- let alone them wanting me to have a position to do more work.

In saying that the kids loved it, and I did enjoy my time there. I was a bit sad to leave .... but I much prefer to do other things on my days off with the kids now (they spend enough time at daycare doing those sorts of activities anyway).
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 12:07pm
Nikki that is interesting to hear! It's so hard to know what level of commitment is too much, until you are there.

I've got our second visit on Wednesday, so that will be nice. I was so exhausted after the first one, just about took a nap with DS!!
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 12:45pm
We just go one day a week too. One thing I've really noticed is the variation between PCs. We did SPACE at one PC but attend another - because we already knew a lot of parents that went to that one - and they are quite different. I've visited another one in this area and it's different again.

We only go one day a week, which is my only day off work. I really like it as our daughter is really used to getting up and going out each morning, and so PC gives us the structure to do that each Friday.

We started when she was about 14 months, only a few visits in the last term of last year, and started full time beginning of this year. I have a couple of jobs but both of them are really easy and/or enjoyable things to do - one is doing the shopping which I like as i can decide what gets bought! and the other is a longer term gardening project which is really fun. I don't find the time commitment huge at all. We still leave before session finishes quite often as she struggles to last till 12.30 and still get to sleep when we get home - otherwise is over-hyped and doesn't sleep at all which I don't enjoy on my ONE day off. Nobody minds. It's all swings and roundabouts; we are there for opening & set up and do a few tidying/cleaning jobs before we go. I did course 1 quite early but because we'd been through SPACE, I'd already done most of it.

It's a pretty informal playcentre - no set times for food or anything, no meetings on session (except the odd occasion for something urgent), not much pressure to do the courses. A few of the mums are really good at setting up new art things each time, and we have something called REAP here which pays for various people to come in and do special activities sometimes - eg we've been doing spin art and stenciling things this term.

She really enjoys it now. It took her a while to get used to the numbers of kids, and the noise (we have a few 3-4 yr old boys that hoon around the place) but she gets to play with so much stuff we don't have at home, and she has a few 'friends' now that she hangs about with. She's quite independent now so me, and most of the mums actually, get lots of time to sit around and chat while keeping half an eye on potential trouble areas. The sandpit often ends up being a nice warm sunny spot to chat and 'supervise'.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 1:00pm
At North Shore association you are allowed to drop off your child once they're 2 1/2 and you've done Course 2, its a strong motivator for everyone to do the training.

I like the mixed ages my daughter is one of the youngest and takes great delight when one of the older kids takes an interest in her.

Our PC has a sit down morning tea at 10am that has improved my daughters eating habits and she sits down when she has food in her hand. There is shared fruit at the end of session which is a nice way to wind down.

I only have one Duty day each week where I'm responsible for an area of play and an area of cleaning at the end. We also roster whose responsible for bringing morning tea for the adults.

I visited a couple of PCs before joining the one I'm at. They are all different and the parents are different.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
kelzie_rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelzie_rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 10:39am
E and I are doing SPACE at the moment, I love it. It's more for me than her at this age. I think we probably will do the PC thing once she's a year old.

Started TTC Apr 2008
With PCOS and a bicornuate uterus

Our angel babies
Jan 2010 <3
Oct 2010 <3
Apr 2011 <3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12