FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSeptember 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 113>
Author
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:44pm
*Dunedin lurker*

the team at albany street midwifery & gynaceology are great.
I see Karin Barker as an OB Gyno about a cyst i grow regularly but the rest of her team that are midwives/OB's are great, always very friendly and talkative and they are central to a bus stop (for those that dont drive)
Sponsored Links

Jacobsmumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobsmumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:51pm

Welcome and congratulations Bex88 and wimble

(9lbs 6ozs)

(11lbs 4ozs)
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:53pm
Welcome Wimble and Bex88!
Wimble, I used to live in Dunedin, well Port Chalmers actually (up til 3 months ago), and had my first child there. My midwife was Rebecca Thomas - I rang her first because she also lived in Port! But I got on really well with her. Unfortunately DS was born a month early while she was on holiday, so her backup, Debbie Harvey, delivered him. Debbie was great too, considering I'd only met her once briefly before then!

Nikki, hope that thrush clears up quickly, it sounds nasty.
I'm also scared I'm going to slip up on Facebook!

Shellz - I chose not to have the 11-week nuchal scan with DS, and have decided not to have it with this one. It's not always reliable anyway, so the results may freak you out for no reason, say if the risk is not low, but may still be a completely healthy baby. Plus it depends on what your choices would be if the results were bad. I'd personally not terminate unless there were serious problems, so wouldn't want to know during the pregnancy. Hope that makes sense!

My midwife suggested she may get me a dating scan though, if I want one! I said I was basing my due date on ovulation date thanks to charting, but since I ovulated late, she might get me one! I'm alright with that!
Chelle, next Friday seems early for a dating scan. I thought 7 weeks was the earliest they normally did them?

I was looking at the number of surprises on the list as well, thinking there were a few. I thought briefly how that would be nice having a surprise, but I have no willpower! I think waiting 19-20 weeks will be hard enough! Plus we had Campbell's name chosen just after his anatomy scan, and would quite like to do the same with this one.
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:00pm
Welcome and congrats MrsB!

A question for those second or third time round mums - do you get blood tests done this time round? When I went to the doc when I got preg with Campbell, she got me to get blood tests done, for rubella imm, etc. This time the doc said nothing (but he is hopeless!) and the midwife didn't say anything when I talked to her either. Not sure if I need to worry about this or not!
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by whitewave whitewave wrote:

Welcome and congrats MrsB!

A question for those second or third time round mums - do you get blood tests done this time round? When I went to the doc when I got preg with Campbell, she got me to get blood tests done, for rubella imm, etc. This time the doc said nothing (but he is hopeless!) and the midwife didn't say anything when I talked to her either. Not sure if I need to worry about this or not!

Thanks and yes as far as I'm aware you should still get antenatal bloods done. Also did you know they have changed the nuchal scan now whitewave? Of course it's still entirely your choice but just in case you were interested this tells you all about the new screening which is apparently much more reliable. I agree it depends what you would do with the information gained from it but a lot of people don't realise it is not just Down Syndrome that is being tested for.

Are you all talking Iodine as well as Folic acid? That is new for me this time round as it not being able to eat hummus!

Edited by Mrs_B
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by bex88 bex88 wrote:

MW's - hmmmmm would love to use the one I hvae had for both kids, but am really thinking about a watert birth, and not sure if local maternity unit will do them...... and she doesn't do them in Hamz...... decisions decisions.

Waterford and River Ridge both do waterbirths bex88. My MW is fantastic and loves waterbirths, if you want her details PM me.
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 11:27pm
MrsB, my new midwife, who I've talked to on the phone, posted me a pamphlet on the new Combined Screening tests, and you're right, it does look more reliable. At this stage after reading it, I don't think I'll do it, but who knows the midwife may change my mind! When I was preg with Campbell, my midwife didn't think I was in a high risk group, and gave me the option but definitely didn't push for it.

Re: the iodine, my hopeless new doc knew nothing about it!! I asked the midwife, and she said not to worry about it until 12 weeks. But then I realised on a Pregnancy thread about iodine, most of the ladies were already taking it! So I checked out the MOH website link, and yep since I'm pregnant AND breastfeeding, I figured I should be taking it! So I ended up going to the chemist and asking them - I got a months worth over the counter. Not as expensive as I thought it would be doing it that way either, which was good! So anyway, long story short, I started taking them today!
jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 6:40am
Welcome Mrs B

Whitewave I'm off to see my Dr this morning. Last time I saw her she said I would need to start taking iodine straight away (new MoH guidelines) so you might want to inform your Dr.

Apart from the extreme tiredness and waking up at 5am most mornings I don't feel pregnant either.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 7:06am
I saw my GP (well the new one in the centre) about my thrush and I asked her if there was anything new, eg the iodine. She didnt think it was necessary if you use iodised salt and have a normal diet. But did say she'd talk to the MW and make sure she had her facts straight. She also mentioned bloods in the discussion about iron as in "but we will test your iron levels when we do you bloods". She didnt organise them, probably because I was seeing the MW the nexxt week. however she is a british GP and from what I understand its a peculiar thing to be lacking in iodine but our soil doesnt have it or something like that.

I remember last time my OB talking about iodine but just saying..dont use only the fancy sea salt. So who knows.

I am guessing I am going to be higher risk this time for downs. I am 38!!! eek.
karenmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:23am
thanks for the advice everyone - i have heard/read good things about lisa wang too. the pool of people to ask keeps getting bigger! i really think i should make a decision today...shouldn't leave it to 7 weeks!
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:27am
welcome Mrs B and congrats

My Dr did antinatal bloods and when I rung to book in with the obstatrician I had last time they asked if I had them done.

My Dr also gave me a script for iodine, I told hiim I had some Ellivett and he looked it up and it has the right amount of folic acid required do didnt need anymore of that. Apparently woman were getting thiroid (sp?) issues during pregnancy and bf due to lack of iodine so thats why its recommended you take it now.

On the low risk for the screening tests, a friend of mine is the same age as me (32) and has 4 kids and had her first when she was 21 and has always had high risk test results come back and needed an amnio with all kids, all have been fine, so not sure if its something genetic with her that comes up, but age can sometimes not mean that there is no risk if you know what I mean I had the combined test through my ob last time and the results come back in a report and were like one in millions for some of the things they screen for.

I dry reached a few times this morning DS was then copying the noises I was making bless him I strangely like that sick feeling cause it makes me think that everything must be going ok (after a missed mc before DS Im paranoid!)
[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:54am
I'm pleased to report the thrush is much better. Still got 5 days of the cream to go...yuk! I keep thinking AF has started IYKWIM.

I've actually been feeling ok at the moment. Not as tired....still feel shattered about 3pm but not falling asleep on couch at 7 anymore. Hope thats just because I am resting more. I'm knackered when I have to get up at 6am when DH goes to work....because little ones are up

I sat down yesterday and wordked out how much we need $$$ wise for this baby....$7000!! eek. Thats abot $250 a week till baby comes. our budget had about $30 left over each fortnight. oops. We have a rental property we want to sell but its in chch and we are still waiting for EQC so its all upin the air. Oh well, hopefully I can pick up some extra days work along the way and save that money. I need to get my boss to increase my hours by 2/wk so I can get PPL....or at least to say that I work 10hrs. I'm only paid for 8-9 but I'm normally there much more so shouldnt be a prob.....but I dont want to say I'm pg till 12wks. After having a MC once before I'm being cautious....but I have a good feeling about this little bean....meant to be I think, :-) The one I lost, I expected to lose...weird huh. I will feel much better after my first scan though.

I have been lurking in the July thread ( a friend in there) and they are all having their 12 wee scans... so jealous!

Anyone else having early scans?
Topkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 10:36am
Hi Laddies, My thread is quite today and i'm board....... so I'm jumping in on yours
I'm a second timmer and I got bloods at 7 weeks also the poly test thingy where you drink that sugar drink. I didnt have it last time till 20 weeks but it made me feel horrible!!!! so MW let me do it early this time and it was much better no heart racing madness! Hope your all enjoying being preggy and not feeling too sick I'm over the worst of it now x
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:18am

Hi Topkat, congratulations on #2   What's the poly test?  I haven't heard of it before?

Just wondering about other M2B's routines?  I am using Palmers cocoa butter stretch mark formula stuff morning and night on my BBs, belly, muffins and thighs morning & night - is there anywhere else I should do it that is prone to stretch marks?  Any other habits and/or rituals you each have?  My other two at this stage are taking my supplements (iodine & folic acid) every morning and having a glass of milk & a stick of light cheese when I get home from work as my calcium intake.

About 4 years ago I joined Weight Watchers and lost 24kg and have kept it off all that time.  One of my biggest fears with this pregnancy is putting on heaps of weight and having to go through the whole WW process again.  Has anyone else got the same fear?  I read somewhere that you're not expected to gain any weight in your first trimester, and if you do it should only be 2-3kg max.  I'm worried that as MS sets in, which it inevitably will do, I'll turn to foods that I can eat without making me feel ill, rather than the healthiest choice all the time.  Any suggestions?

Sorry about the novel...

Mum to 3yo Mr C
#2 due May 2015 :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:26am
Well done on the weight loss wimble. hopefully you will find bfing an awesome weightloss regime...I did. I got down to 8kg below pre preg weight when feeding my second...unfortunately I discovered that once you stop feeding you have to stop eating too...bugger!

I did nothing for stretchmarks for either pg. I was lucky....only got a couple beneath my tummy button which I didnt discover till they were born...and they have faded fast. I was suprised as I still have some from puberty...especially across the top of my boobs and when they deflate they look like ripples....so lovely! I'm still waiting for them to inflate again although I am loving having smaller boobs post baby...if only they werent so saggy.

So apart from taking my folic acid and a probiotic (trying to knock this thrush thing on the head) I have no routine. 2 preschoolers kills that idea. However as this is going to be my last pregnancy I am planning on being kinder to myself and savouring every minute of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobsmumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:40am

Welcome and congrats MrsB

I finally had my bloods taken yesterday after getting the form from my Doc on 30/12!  They took 3 vials and tested for HIV, Antenatal bloods (1st group) then something else. I'm sure they'll come back the same as last pg.

I'm hoping to have a dating scan, just to check that bubs is all good etc.  I had a dating scan last time around 7-8wks and was so excited to see and hear DS heartbeat

I txt my mw a few days before NY's and although she is happy to take me on, she's still not called me yet.  I think she was on holiday tho so I'll wait till next week before calling her.  I'm so excited to have her again!!   Woohoo.  Wonder if anyone else from the Shore is having the same mw as me?  Mine is Cherie Davis from Close to Nature and she's based in Coatesville but works a few days at Birthcare Parnell. 

It looks like some things may have changed since my last pg re the NT testing.  I'll have to look into it further and chat with my mw.  With our DS the tests showed there was a high risk but we chose not to do any further testing (I think the result was something like 1 in 400 chance).  He's perfectly fine so I'm wondering whether I want go through it again as it was horrible.  My Doc gave me what looks like a bounty pack that they'd made up in the Clinic themselves but it doens't look as complete as my last one. 

I have been so gassy lately its embarrassing

(9lbs 6ozs)

(11lbs 4ozs)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobsmumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:51am

Wimble, that's an awesome amount of weight to lose, and to keep off.  Well done! 

As for routines, I just take my Elevit and Iodine tab each morning and I always moisterise my entire body but think I'll have to buy some Bio-Oil soon for my tummy.  I used it with my 1st pg and avoided any stretch marks until a week before DS was born, and even then there were like about 5 really low down along my pubic hair line.  They were light in colour until DS was born then they went darker, but they've pretty much disappeared.  I'm hoping it'll be the same this time.  I had a friend who was 6wks ahead of me last time and she got them quite early right up around her belly button area but she didn't use anything.  I guess everyone's body is different but I wanted to try to help avoid them.

I'm hoping this time round I'll put on less than the 12kgs I gained last time.  I'm determined not to give up the gym this time and being a SAHM I don't have immediate access to cafes etc.  But I've been so hungry lately its crazy and I saw a programme yesterday that said that in the 1st tri, all you need additionally is about 1 sml carton of milk.  Nothing else! 

(9lbs 6ozs)

(11lbs 4ozs)
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:54am
Wow, so many posts, my brain can't keep up!

Welcome Mrs_B

I should start using the creams again, I've used them once so far. Last time I used them heaps and up till 34-35 weeks I had no stretch marks but then suddenly my growth went out of control and so did the stretch marks They faded quickly which was good, but the skin is a bit ick. So I'm going to try using them again, as who knows maybe they would have been worse or started earlier without. I think drinking lots of water is supposed to help too.

I don't really have a routine going yet, unless you count standing in front of the mirror a few times a day staring at my belly.

$7000 nzpiper!! What are you planning on buying????? Or is that in lost wages when you're off work? I realised we've got more to buy than I thought but hopefully we can borrow a few things again like last time as that helps a lot, especially for things that are only used for a short time.

whitewave - my MW said 6 weeks you can see a heartbeat? So by my ovulation date I'll be 6 weeks 2 days, by LMP I'll be7 weeks 2 days. Maybe she was going off that? Looking back in my last folder, I had two early scans, the 2nd one was at 7 weeks, and the other was too early, so maybe I will have to go back?

I went and had all my antenatal bloods done yesterday, I guess they want to be sure nothing has happened in between and check on iron etc..

24kg weightloss is so awesome wimble. I'm definitely worried about weight gain, last time it came off pretty quickly luckily and I'm 3kg under pre-preg but I don't want to assume things will be the same this time as I went for so many walks with Cooper when he was little, but he doesn't like being in the stroller for that long anymore so can't go off on huge 1.5hr strolls I imagine! Hopefully I'll be able to BF longer though and maybe that will help
Topkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:57am
Hey winble the poly test is when they get you to have a very sugary sugar drink tates like lemmonade then you need to wait an hour before your bloods are taken. This tests for at rist gestational giatebes which runs in my family or you may just chose to be tested as anyone can develop it while preg.
With my first babe I started off at 55kg I put on about 18 and grew heaps in the first and second tri then never grew much at all in the last. My body likes to make a big comfy home for babe. I got all those horrible comments your going to be huge have a massive baby etc but in the end I didnt look that big at all I'm doing the same this time and have already gained 4kg although I was 59kg when I started this time. I lost all baby weight through those early busy days and BF but the trap is once it all settles down ya start to get a bit board and your at home all the time so it's easy to go and grab those yummy snacks that we allow our partners to have in there lunch so mine crept back on again well after baby had been born. I will be carefull to watch that this time as it was very hard to get off!
I used bio oil right through and didnt get any stretchys def concentrate on the boobs tho as not being a big boobed girl this was quite a shock for my we body to take so got a couple around the nipple area But bio oil really worked x
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Jacobsmumma Jacobsmumma wrote:

I have been so gassy lately its embarrassing

Bahaha me too!  I can't believe it, it's terrible!  I feel bloated all the time because of it, it's revolting.  Luckily I warned hubby when I read it in a book so he's aware of it, and I can blame it on the pregnancy thank goodness.  One of the many wonderful symptoms I'm going to experience on this journey!

1 small carton of milk extra - is that really all?  Gosh...uh oh...  I'd better knock this almost-constant snacking on the head now then!

I'm so jealous of you ladies having early scans, hopefully my MW will let me too :)

Mum to 3yo Mr C
#2 due May 2015 :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 113>