FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSeptember 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 113>
Author
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:31pm
OMIGOSH!! Congrats Bex!! How freaking awesome!!!

Sponsored Links

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:36pm
Welcome bex!

Lots of surprises on the list, you all have more willpower than me hahaha
bex88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bex88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:37pm
Hehe thanks Bex!!!! Yea I thought it was pretty cool as we found out almost the same time last time as well, and not much further apart this time...... Go the Jan 2010 mums. Hope the wedding went well. The pics look great.
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 8:15am
congrats bec88

I feel sick this morning time to make breakfast I think

Whens everyone having their first appointment with mw / ob? mines next Friday

whos having a dating scan?
[/url]
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 8:43am

Originally posted by jano1 jano1 wrote:

Welcome wimble, whereabouts do you live?

Thanks for the welcomes!  I live in Dunedin :)

I've got my first taste of MS this morning, felt fine until I got in the truck to come to work and it hit me, just a bit of nausea so far...yuck!  Thank goodness I can hide in my office for the rest of the week since I'm pretty much the only one back at work.

I have my first midwife appointment on the 19th, I chose her as one of my friends used her with her second baby and raved about her.  I don't think I'm having a dating scan as I knew when my LMP was, gutted :(  I'll try and convince her that I need reassurance that there is actually something in there, plus I'd like to tell my Mum on her birthday but I'll only be 11 weeks then and I'd feel better about telling her once I've actually seen the proof on a scan!  plus have a pic to show her of course :)

How did everyone chose their midwives for their first baby? 

Edited by wimble
Mum to 3yo Mr C
#2 due May 2015 :)
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:27am
The girls birthdays are only a day apart now aren't they? Wouldn't it be cool to get this close again! Are you hoping for a certain gender Bex?

I'll be getting a dating scan, Had an extremely long cycle so have no idea what my actual due date is, my midwife said she will get me the scan around the 20th Jan, so that I'm close to 8 weeks hopefully!

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 11:14am
I think I picked my midwife last time because I'd heard her name on here. I really had no idea how to pick one though.   I think I went for one nice and close and she seemed nice enough at the appointment! I actually had an appointment with a 2nd one too and went to see her but she was at a birth and so only met her backup. Her backup was actually lovely and I was tempted to book her instead, in the end I decided the first one was fine (and she was) so just went with her. It's a hard one as it's not like you can ask to see their portfolio!

I'm not seeing my midwife till 10 weeks, so beginning of February. She sent me a whole lot of stuff in the mail though like blood test, scan thing, prescription and some pamphlets.

Scan is next Friday

I totally know what you mean about not wanting to tell before the scan, I worry I'm imagining it and maybe the pregnancy test was a mistake (but then I guess where is AF otherwise).   I'm such a worrywart, it was really once I started feeling heaps of kicks that I felt better otherwise after a scan I'd then worry till the next one!
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 12:08pm
I think worrying is part and parcel. I know I am worrying about not feeling too bad at the moment even though I know I am so early that most people wouldnt even know they are pg. Also I get heaps of discharge (TMI) and keep thinking its AF starting.

I chose my MW off a list the OB gave me. She was the first one available and when I met her I thought she seemed fine...she was great!

Unfortunately we moved when I was pg with our second and I found another MW who turned out to be absolutely terrible! I am so disgusted that she is still practicing. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I met with my OB the day before I ended up getting induced and mentioned to here that I had no faith in my MW and she said "you can still change". She organised a MW to meet me at the hospital and she was lovely. Needless to say my former MW was NOT impressed and got very snarky on the phone.

So my advice...listen to your gut! and you can change at ANY time. I was 9 days over when I changed MWs
karenmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 1:51pm
*lurker* hey wimble...i'm due 28 august with our first child, and am in dunedin too. who did you end up chosing for your midwife -haven't found one yet!
bex88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bex88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:34pm
Hey Bex yep the girls are 1 day apart, so would be pretty neat to have them close like that again....

MW's - hmmmmm would love to use the one I hvae had for both kids, but am really thinking about a watert birth, and not sure if local maternity unit will do them...... and she doesn't do them in Hamz...... decisions decisions.

Will wait til after Dr's appt on Monday I think. Test was still faint this AM although line definately came up within time.
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:46pm

Originally posted by karenmary karenmary wrote:

*lurker* hey wimble...i'm due 28 august with our first child, and am in dunedin too. who did you end up chosing for your midwife -haven't found one yet!

Hi karenmary, I'm going with Toni McCallum - I haven't met her yet but my freind said she was great when she had #2 back in February.  My two sisters-in-law had Prue Thompson but she was going to be on holiday when I'm due.  My doctor suggested Sally McNeill as a third option in case neither Toni or Prue were available.

Good luck choosing!  Is this your first bubba too?

Mum to 3yo Mr C
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by wimble wimble wrote:

Hi karenmary, I'm going with Toni McCallum - I haven't met her yet but my freind said she was great when she had #2 back in February.  My two sisters-in-law had Prue Thompson but she was going to be on holiday when I'm due.  My doctor suggested Sally McNeill as a third option in case neither Toni or Prue were available.

Good luck choosing!  Is this your first bubba too?

Oops sorry I just read your post again where you mentioned that this is your first bubba too, sorry!

Have you rung any midwives yet, or are you still confused?

Mum to 3yo Mr C
karenmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 3:20pm
hi again wimble - nope haven't phoned anyone yet - still confused, but becoming slightly clearer. have had prue recommended by a few people, also sally but haven't heard of toni. seems like a tough decision, as i'm not one of those people who likes to say "no" to someone and try and change if i don't like the midwife. would like to make the best decision to start with!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:47pm

hi again wimble - nope haven't phoned anyone yet - still confused, but becoming slightly clearer. have had prue recommended by a few people, also sally but haven't heard of toni. seems like a tough decision, as i'm not one of those people who likes to say "no" to someone and try and change if i don't like the midwife. would like to make the best decision to start with!

Neither was I   I'm sure most MWs are great. I think I knew at the start that she wasnt right for me but for some reason kept going hoping it would improve. It didnt.
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:47pm

I don't like saying "no" either, but I'm hoping that since I have a similar personality to the particular friend, I'll get along with Toni too - only time will tell I guess! :)  Both of my sisters-in-law love Prue but when I called her she said she'd still be on holiday (maybe she'll be on holiday when you're due too in which case you'd end up with Sally anyway, since she's her back up partner, if she accepted you that is) and was quite rude & abrupt about it, so in a way I was pleased she wasn't available!  Maybe I just caught her at a bad moment, who knows...but first impressions really do matter in my opinion!

Good luck with your decision and don't leave it too long - one of my other friends tried to find a MW when she was 9 weeks and really struggled.  She ended up with Jenny Crawshaw (?) and liked her a lot too if that helps.

Let me know how you get on :)

Mum to 3yo Mr C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 4:53pm
Karenmary. I had a lovely MW for my delivery in Dunedin. Her name was Lisa Wang and she had a business Jade Maternity. She put me at ease straight away and was very professional as well as gentle and calming. I was incredibly stressed when I first met her but came out of it enjoying my labour....and it ended in emergency c-s...so that is saying something. She was found for me by my obstetrician as she has worked closely with her in the past. The OB definitely had confidence and respect for her.
shellz_10 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellz_10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 7:00pm
Rung my MW today and have an appt on 17th Jan. She asked if I wanted at Downs Syndrome Screening test done, I said yes? Is everyone else doing the same? Is that the norm?
DH is friends with MW's son, and I have met her a couple of times, have heard good things about her also.
I'm really struggling with the food thing, can't even go to the bakery to get a filled roll!! Not sure what I'm going to do next week when I'm back at work. Anyone got any suggestions on healthy food that can be made before work, as we don't really have much of a kitchen at work.
Baby #1
13 months in the making!

I
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 8:29pm
Hey shellz, it's pretty much the norm to do the down syndrome scan. For me, and probably quite a few others it's more of another sneak peek at the end of first trimester and then after everything is all good I tell everyone I'm pregnant

But you don't actually need to do it if you'd rather not.

What about pasta for lunch? You could put a tomato-ey sauce or pesto or something like that? As long as you've got a microwave to reheat. Is that counted as healthy? Lunch is a hard one to organise    Otherwise do you have a toaster or toasted sandwich maker at work? I usually have peanut butter on toast or avocado and tomato on toast or some times a toasted cheese sandwich.   

Or else what about a mix of little things like a yogurt, fruit, some nuts, crackers, cheese. Ummm that's all I can think of at the mo.
jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 8:59pm
I'm not having a dating scan as I was charting so know my dates. Is everyone else having a scan in a couple of weeks?

Lunch- pasta is good, I also take leftovers (vegetarian to reheat) or take food from home to make a salad at lunchtime or sandwiches. It gets pretty boring but it's worse ot having anything and trying to scramble for something to eat at lunchtime.
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 9:37pm
Hi all. Thought I may as well jump in here and post instead of just lurking I'm due 5th Sep with #2. DS is nearly 20mths. We want to leave the gender as a surprise this time. I had an emergency c-section with DS so am hoping for a VBAC this time round. I'm not having a dating scan either.

I'm having the same MW as last time, she was fabulous. Gave her a text as soon as I had POAS and she slotted me in to see her last week. So I have my forms for antenatal bloods, info on safe eating and 1st trimester combined screening. I have my first proper appt at 9 weeks.

I have been feeling pretty good, if it wasn't for the extreme tiredness I would forget I was even pregnant!

Edited by Mrs_B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 113>