FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSeptember 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 113>
Author
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:11pm
The $7000 was a mixture of lost wages ( I think realistically I can only take 6 months off this time..but then I only work 2 half days anyway so its not too bad) and changing our car. We need extra seating and I am looking into getting a 3rd row put in. THats $3400 which I didnt think was too bad. Just waiting to hear if its ok to use car seats on those seats. We will have 3 kids in car seats. and then I put some money in for OB...last time my parents paid but I cant guarantee they will again...although I am sure they will if I threaten to not have one

On that topic, I havent phoned her yet as I am apparently entitled to see her under the public system. The only difference is that if I have her privately she WILL birth the baby but publicly it will be up to the MW at the time and then if she decides we need an OB it will be whoever is on at the time. But I will decide closer to the time Iguess. Southern Cross pays some of it so I may go private.

Basically DH needs a pay rise!

I havent weighed myself...too scared to see what it might be but I really should as its only going to get worse. I think having a few extra kgs helped with the stretchmarks he he he.....lots of stretchable skin LOL.

One thing I am hoping is that DS2 will still be having day sleeps when bubs arrives. He currently has 2-3hours each day...but my older boy doesnt and instead camps out in front of the TV....oh bad mother! But if he gets the slightest hint of sleep, he wont sleep at night.
Sponsored Links

tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:56pm
nzpiper I am going under the OB I did last time and thats $4000 so we are going to have to find that from somewhere! lucky you pay in installements as you go so it doesnt seem so bad, but my last pregnancy I developed high blood preasure and was medicated for it and also developed pre-eclampsia so I was so stoked I was under and OB and loved the Auckland Obstetric Centre so feel its worth the money to go back again. NZpiper how can you get ob under southern cross? tell me more...might have to look into that!

and funny you should say you feel possitive about this pregnancy and didnt with your mc, I feel very possitive about this one, and didnt when I had my mc, I remember waiting for my 12week scan just thinking please let there be a baby alive in there and felt sick to my stomach rather than nervous excitedness ifkwim - afterwards I thought, hmmm I think my "body" knew that I had a missed mc so I feel good this time about things, although still doesnt stop the worry every now and again

nzpiper Jayden still has a day sleep on and off, Im hoping we wil get into a rountine so I can have one to tehehe and will put him into DC a few months off having number 2 so he gets use to it maybe a day a week?

wimble, I have lost around 30kg since having DS with alot of hard work and exercise, and did ww for a bit and I am so so so so so scared of putting it back on, as that was all pregnancy weight, Im just more cautious about what I eat this time, but your right its hard, when I feel sick I feel like starchy carb things that I wouldnt normally eat, fruit and nuts just dont cut the mustard! who also finds it hard when your out for lunch? we just went to Bennetts for lunch and I LOVE there toasted cabinet sammys and had to have a savory scone and piece of cake (oink oink!!!) I have a personal trainner and I know she will keep my inline to some extent, but its hard really hard!

what do others eat out and about?

I cant remember who asked what to take for work for lunch but I use to have a block of cheese, bag of carrots and tomatoes in the fridge at work and would go and get a plain roll from the bakery and do grated carrot and cheese and tomato rolls for lunch most days

Im not sure if I am having an early scan? I did with jayden and did the first pg then I had the mc, so if I do I will wait until 8 weeks. I am going to the ob next week when I will be 6w6d and they do have scan machines in the room, he did scan me at 11w with Jayden so not sure if he will scan me first appointment this time? I may ask if I can get a referral to be scaned around 8ish weeks? that will make me feel better for sure.

[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 2:02pm
I used to take toasted sandwiches...cheese and pineapple and toast them at work...i took my sandwich press to work. Otherwise in summer DH made me (yes he makes my lunch) cheese and chutney sandwiches.   AS for eating out...we just dont. Plain cant afford it, so other than coffee with a friend, in which case you just have to have cake, I havent really had to worry about it. As long as things are cooked you should be good. Its all common sense really. But I tell ya, it puts you off deli foods for life! This Xmas was the first time I ate (and really enjoyed) ham since my first preg.
jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 2:24pm
Re iodine- NZ soils are naturally deficient in iodine which is why there was the recommendation several years ago to include it in bread products (if anyone remembers that debate). It doesn't have anything to do with people not eating iodised salt. I saw my Dr today and she siad MoH guidelines are that iodine supplements are taken from first positive pregnancy test through to the end of breastfeeding. Your mw's should prescribe it if you can't get to the Dr.
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 2:53pm

Kye - I hear you on the starchy carbs!  Not good for the weight watching!  30kg is awesome, well done you!

Re: eating out: I had lunch with a friend yesterday and had scrambled eggs on toasted ciabatta - I asked for them to make sure the eggs were well cooked and not at all runny and they didn't mind at all - of course I had to wait until my friend had already paid for her lunch before I could ask them that heehee.  Otherwise I'll probably stick to a scone or meatless muffin and a hot chocolate for lunches.  I'm gutted cos all of the cabinet food always looks delicious!

We eat dinner out twice a week - I refuse to cook on a Friday/Saturday night usually, and since I found out I'm pregnant its been tricky, a lot of the places I usually go are off my list now :(  Such as turkish kebabs, Subway, sushi etc.  I still eat teriyaki chicken - is that ok?  I know that some people are worried about the rice issue - should I ask for it to be heated up til its piping hot, or is it ok if its just sitting warm in a rice cooker?

Work lunches have been tricky and its only day 3 for me - today I had 2 minute noodles and tinned tuna - I can see myself getting pretty sick of that in a hurry, but at least they can both stay in my drawer for emergencies without going off 

Mum to 3yo Mr C
#2 due May 2015 :)
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 2:58pm

Oh I forgot about my other question - for those who have been there, done that:  when did you start to feel your pants/skirts getting tighter?  One bit of advice I got (pre-pregnancy) was to buy bigger knickers before you actually need them, cos it seems to creep up on you - one day you fit them, the next you don't!  Does that sound right?

Also, did any of you use those Belly Belts where your can extend your pants wasitline with the button/slides and fabric inserts?  I'm wondering if I should get a set in anticipation, or if they're a waste of money.  I read someone's comment somewhere that their butt grew out of their pants at the same time as their waist did, so even though they could extend the waist out for their bump they were too tight around their butt anyway.  Comments?  Suggestions?

Mum to 3yo Mr C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 3:23pm
ok, let me remember...i had those elastic things first time round and found them a PITA!! A friend then showed me that she used a hair tie and looped that over the button, through the hole and back over the button...worked just as well. I didnt like them because I felt that my fly was always down and I just felt fat. The best thing I did (especially whilst working) was to get a comfy pair of maternity pants. You feel a million bucks! Both times I bought a pair from Egg..I know they are expensive but I wore them to death and they worked nicely as trackies when I had finished work.

I think I started wanting preggy clothes about 8 weeks with No2 . I just didnt like anything tight.

As for the rice. Rice is a shocker for salmonella. In sushi it is the rice more than the fillings. If you are having rice in a restaurant I would definitely ask for it piping hot. Sitting around warm in a rice cooker is probably the worst thing.

Man , I so need to eat out more. Going to be interesting today as we are meeting up with some friends at a pub...how am I going to get out of a drink there. They all know I can normally have one even if driving.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

ok, let me remember...i had those elastic things first time round and found them a PITA!! A friend then showed me that she used a hair tie and looped that over the button, through the hole and back over the button...worked just as well. I didnt like them because I felt that my fly was always down and I just felt fat. The best thing I did (especially whilst working) was to get a comfy pair of maternity pants. You feel a million bucks! Both times I bought a pair from Egg..I know they are expensive but I wore them to death and they worked nicely as trackies when I had finished work.

I think I started wanting preggy clothes about 8 weeks with No2 . I just didnt like anything tight.

As for the rice. Rice is a shocker for salmonella. In sushi it is the rice more than the fillings. If you are having rice in a restaurant I would definitely ask for it piping hot. Sitting around warm in a rice cooker is probably the worst thing.

Man , I so need to eat out more. Going to be interesting today as we are meeting up with some friends at a pub...how am I going to get out of a drink there. They all know I can normally have one even if driving.

*lurker*

Nikki, I do that hair tie trick with my jeans and stuff that Im still too fat for Works a treat! Im going to do it next time im pregnant!

*lurker out*
karenmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 4:12pm
re the food thing, i think i'd agree with nzpiper on the rice, but what about canned fish? that's my puzzle - cause they say you shouldn't eat raw or cold cooked fish/meat, but freshly opened cans are ok. does that mean canned fish is on or off the menu?!
wimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 4:16pm

nzpiper:  Thanks for the tip about hairties, I'll have to invest in some since I have short hair and don't own any! :)  I'll ask them to heat the rice to piping hot from now on too, thanks!

karenmary:  I was told that tinned fish is fine because its been totally heat treated during the canning process so is considered to be fine - not sure if that's correct though, uh oh...

Mum to 3yo Mr C
karenmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 4:22pm
cool thanks for that! i wasn't sure and hadn't heard anyone else talking about it, so glad that you mentioned it :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 4:40pm
Tinned fish is fine, the day you open it but probably best avoided the next day. The only concern they have with tinned fish is that they are highish in magnesium I think and if you ate HEAPS (GP said 3-4 cans EVERY day) it isnt good. I'm pretty sure it was magnesium not mercury which is the other problem with LOTS of fish.

Just like you may read not to eat large quantities of parsley. That freaked me and I thought I shouldnt be having any. But they mean like parsley tea or some ridiculous amount. I think as long as you stick to good food hygeine (well cooked, or cooked then quickly cooled, no deli food etc, soft cheeses, shellfish, and no cold leftovers.) you should be right. I remember poached eggs being the thing I missed more than anything. scrambled just doesnt cut it. I like my runny yolks!
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 5:18pm
the tin fish thing gets me as I normally have tuna or salmon salad every day for lunch and now I cant have it every day since I think the recommended amount is 4ish serves a week? cant remember but I know its not everyday hard with lunches since you cant eat cold meats either. Im not supose to eat gluten so makes it hard, although I have been over the last week or so cause its those carby starchy things I want

I use to just wear maternity pants or skirts and had those material bands to wear under your tops so you could wear normal tops for longer, they were great, I wore them after too, hold in the bulge You can also pick up second hand egg stuff on trade me too and they have an outlet shop in Northcote too - they may have one somewhere else?

I have a wedding in March so will be about 16 weeks, no idea what Im going to wear, and Im sure it will be a smogisboard dinner and no alcohol

Im going out for a girls dinner out tonight, but most of the girls are exercise machines so its not really looked at sideways if you dont drink, so will get away with it tonight, and my two closest mates going know.

Nzpiper, could you say your feeling a bit hungover from yesterday? too many wines with dinner or something?

hows everyone feeling?
[/url]
Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 6:53pm
Hey
Just popping in to say the due date thread in the pregnancy section has been done up for 2011 if you guys wanna add yourselves in there
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:06pm
it was all fine. Our friends got there before us and he had a beer and she a lemon lime and bitters so it wasnt odd for me to have it too.
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:19pm
I started wearing my maternity jeans from about 10 weeks last time and it was my first pregnancy! I think I got quite bloated and my jeans were on the tight side to start with. I tried the hair tie trick to start with but just felt weird like my pants were undone ('cause they were).

I did have one of those big wide material bands to help cover the tum once tops stick out too far and don't sit on your tummy anymore and for tops that get a bit short. I thought they were wonderful. I think mine was looking a bit grotty and stretched out of shape by the end so might need a new one

I've got a wedding in Feb and March and wondering the same thing. I've got a dress that might work for the first one, not so sure about the one after that, but I'll wait till closer to the time to see how I look.

Good luck with the drinks tomorrow. I've got some too and can say I'm driving but will still probably need to look like I'm having one drink.   The girls are too on to it if I try and pretend I'm having vodka, lime and soda, even if I get it in a short glass. I don't want to buy a drink and then worry about where to tip it out and don't want to waste money anyway. Might look up the drinks menu for where we're going to see what non-alcoholic stuff they have and cross my fingers for non-alcoholic wine. Though there will be 3 other preggie girls there and if they're all drinking the same as me I'll be snapped out hehehe

I just found out another friend is pregnant, we're not meant to know but her Mum has a big mouth and let it slip to DH last night when he was out visiting their family (she wasn't there). So that's really cool that I've got someone nearby with a baby within a couple of weeks difference.

Wimble - I remember last time I mainly wore g-strings before I got pregnant and reasonably quickly they felt yuck. I only just realised it was probably 'cause my butt was getting bigger hahaha. I'd bought an 8 pack of cheap k-mart knickers for birth/post-pregnancy and was still wearing them till a couple of months ago when really they were too baggy and not very pretty so I biffed them and got some new smaller ones. Maybe I should have saved them hahaha.

I seriously can not stop eating. I've got no self control. I had two lunches today, a bowl of ice cream before dinner and went up the road to get lollies and soft drink before DH went out for the night!!!   

Luckily on the food front I don't really eat out very much as DS isn't the still still in a cafe type child. Though I totally forgot that subway was off the menu and had that It wasn't till after my pregnancy that I realised I shouldn't have been eating takeout butter chicken either. I always waited for them to put in the fresh chicken but forgot about the rice. I guess I was lucky that nothing went bad, so won't be doing that this time. Will have to be homemade if I crave it.
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

it was all fine. Our friends got there before us and he had a beer and she a lemon lime and bitters so it wasnt odd for me to have it too.

Perfect! I had a look at the drinks list and there were no fake wines so I think it's lime and soda for me tomorrow and just hope for the best. I'm sure a few will guess but oh well
bntlawrence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bntlawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 8:56pm
Hey ladies
How are we all going
My names Tara and I'm due on the 2nd of september

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:01pm
Welcome Tara!

Well, sounds like I definitely need to get a new doc, and get bloods organised. There's another doc in Raetihi, which is 10 mins away, and he is meant to be okay, so will change to him I think. I'm finding the lack of choice, of things like medical and pregnancy care, quite hard now that we're in a small town. I was so spoilt living near Dunedin!

NZpiper - your DS2 gets 2-3 hours of sleep during the day?!? Wow, I'm so jealous - Campbell sleeps 1 and 1/2 hours when he naps! Today was only an hour!

Wimble, I have some Belly Belts you're welcome to have if you want. I didn't really like them either, didn't like that feeling of your fly being undone also! I think I started wearing maternity and larger clothes in the early stages of the 2nd trimester.

I'm trying my best to eat relatively healthy, while I'm still feeling pretty good! I had avocado, tomato and cheese toasted sandwiches for lunch today - so it is possible to have yummy sandwiches without cold meats! I also put on a bit too much weight during the last preg, which I haven't completely lost. I'm still breastfeeding my toddler too - it doesn't always make the weight fall off! So I'm being mindful of trying not to eat too much in the 1st trimester as well.

At least the extra skin will help fight against stretchmarks! I managed to escape getting any last time, but I didn't get past 36 weeks gestation, and apparently they often pop up in those last few weeks with many women! I used Earth Mama Angel Baby oil, which was a gorgeous massage oil to use, even though its a bit pricey. If I can afford to buy more this time, I think I will - I know its supposed to be genetics to determine whether you get stretch marks or not, but if it helped last time, then its worth doing it again!
bntlawrence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bntlawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2011 at 8:58am
I laso put on alot of weight during my first pregnancy lol i gota food diary going this time so i dont over eat.
I got my midwife booked for next week so she can sort out my bloods and a scan i cant remember when do you get your fisrt scan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 113>