FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNewly single and VERY worried.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 8:54pm
Looks like my post just crossed with yours.

Have a look around in your area and see if there are any groups you can join. There is a single parent group here and some of the coffee groups run by Plunket are pre as well as post baby. You will make new friends when you have your baby just look out for opportunities. I met people through plunket coffee groups, I went to a parent's center course and met people at that, I also tried a parents pram walking group and there were some nice people there too.

Here is the forum for the single parent foundation in case you are interested:
Single Parent forum

I also belong to a facebook group called single latte for single parents. I have never been to the events as they are mainly auckland I think but I think there are groups in wellington and chch as well and you can email/post for advice etc. You might be able to go along to events and meet people in a similar situation.
Sponsored Links

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:08pm
Where are you? I have a feeling you're in Oamaru but i have no idea why!!

I have only a few close friends for the same reasons - i am 23 and most of them are going out clubbing etc and i am at a different stage in my life. I will make new friends. Plunket does something for new parents, when i remember what its called i'll let you know! But your midwife will refer you when baby is born anyway. You can go to music and movement or other baby activities as well to meet friends. Playcentre would be another good one.
Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:24pm
Wow, so sorry to have you here!
I didn't read all the posts coz I'm far too tired lol but I did just want to say.
Ring winz, make an appointment and talk to a case manager. They can give you an accomodation supplement to help you with your rent. Once you get to like 27weeks, your midwife can change your sickness benefit to being on it due to pregnancy.
I was on the sickness bene before I got UTD and while I was flatting I got said acom sup. If you explain your situation to the case manager they should help.
How many rooms is your house? If it's more then you need they'll suggest you find somewhere smaller.
What about finding a boarder until bubs arrives?

And yup, DPB comes in when you have bubs. And they expect you to drag your aching self with your cracked nipples and cluster feeding newborn to the WINZ building and have you fill out 50million forms while trying to juggle you boob, your baby, your breastpad (without putting it on the desk lol) and hold the paper and use a pen. Not ideal!! lol

I'm living rent free at home, I'm VERY lucky. I get $283.66 a week. this includes childsupport. I think. Who knows lol.

If you have any questions or anything feel free to PM me. I've been single since before I even got my BFP lol. So I know how tough it can be.
I'm more then happy to give any support I can

xxxxx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:26pm
Oh I'm *just* 24, and so far have made friends thru my ante natal class, I was very lucky to have a young group and our oldest mama is 32.
Also I did a plunket course called 'Your growing baby'
You can join mainly music at a church or a playcentre.
Even meet up with other OB mamas lol.

Hun you'll be ok
Stephi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by bowie bowie wrote:

Where are you? I have a feeling you're in Oamaru but i have no idea why!!

I have only a few close friends for the same reasons - i am 23 and most of them are going out clubbing etc and i am at a different stage in my life. I will make new friends. Plunket does something for new parents, when i remember what its called i'll let you know! But your midwife will refer you when baby is born anyway. You can go to music and movement or other baby activities as well to meet friends. Playcentre would be another good one.

Im in Tauranga :)

Buuuut my really good online friend is from Oamaru! lol

Also, how you said before you saw my nursery...I dont think I have posted any nursery pics up! Maybe I have idk lol scary!

I cant wait to go to playgroups and things like that! i need friends!

Edited by StephiG
Stephi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Pillow_Fight Pillow_Fight wrote:

Wow, so sorry to have you here!
I didn't read all the posts coz I'm far too tired lol but I did just want to say.
Ring winz, make an appointment and talk to a case manager. They can give you an accomodation supplement to help you with your rent. Once you get to like 27weeks, your midwife can change your sickness benefit to being on it due to pregnancy.
I was on the sickness bene before I got UTD and while I was flatting I got said acom sup. If you explain your situation to the case manager they should help.

How many rooms is your house? If it's more then you need they'll suggest you find somewhere smaller.
What about finding a boarder until bubs arrives?

And yup, DPB comes in when you have bubs. And they expect you to drag your aching self with your cracked nipples and cluster feeding newborn to the WINZ building and have you fill out 50million forms while trying to juggle you boob, your baby, your breastpad (without putting it on the desk lol) and hold the paper and use a pen. Not ideal!! lol

I'm living rent free at home, I'm VERY lucky. I get $283.66 a week. this includes childsupport. I think. Who knows lol.

If you have any questions or anything feel free to PM me. I've been single since before I even got my BFP lol. So I know how tough it can be.
I'm more then happy to give any support I can

xxxxx

Hey there, thank you for your support! It helps having lots of it :)

Yup, well I called WINZ this morning and it looks like im moving (they wont give me enough to cover everything I need), but some other ladies here suggested that I book an appointment with them and see how things turn out, they might be a little sympathetic. I only need temporary support up until the time I have bubs, then on to the DPB I go!

There are 2 bedrooms in my house. One for me and one for bubs. Our house is only relatively small. I would call it a unit rather than a house (but its so nice, hence why I dont wanna leave!)

I will definitely PM you if I need to talk! Its so amazing having good support :)

A lot of you guys are really young! I thought you were all a lot older :) Its even better to have people my age (round about) that know what they are talking about!

Edited by StephiG
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 11:04pm
Haha, i'm totally confusing you with another member then! Oops, my bad....not trying to sound stalkish.
.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 2:07pm
I'm 21, my close mates have been really good about just staying in and watching crappy movies and making crappy movies with a few beers rather than going out and getting trashed and leaving me home all lonely and jealous and sober, haha.

It's so difficult with WINZ to get a definitive answer, every other person you ask seems to have a different answer, and neither the website or their pamphlets can give accurate figures.
Which is another positive to living at home when baby arrives and getting all the finances sorted, parents seem to understand a stand-down period or general uselessness more than a landlord does.
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by StephiG StephiG wrote:

A lot of you guys are really young! I thought you were all a lot older :) Its even better to have people my age (round about) that know what they are talking about!

I'm not that old either I'm only 28 and have already been married and am nearly divorced and have a 2 year old. Plus I have done Ironman and am a charted accountant. I feel like I have lived a lot in my life if that makes sense.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:16pm
You did ironman!? you're my new hero! I was planning iron (wo)man 2010 and coast to coast 2011 until this unexpected little one turned up!

/threadjack
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:20pm
Yup in March 08 about 6/8 weeks before I got pregnant with G. It was amazing I would love to do coast to coast but kayaking is not really my thing. Maybe in a team one day. Have you done many tris?
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:23pm
Yeah, a handful but nothing big or impressive like that. Just the contact series, and ones organized by the local tri club. I'm a runner more then anything else so mostly did marathons but was trying to mix up training with biking/swimming and thought it'd be a good goal. I'm a crap swimmer and not much better on a bike though so i'll never be a great tri-athlete. Fun though!! Can't wait to get this bubba out so i can run again, weird as that sounds.
Stephi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by BecBarrer BecBarrer wrote:

I'm 21, my close mates have been really good about just staying in and watching crappy movies and making crappy movies with a few beers rather than going out and getting trashed and leaving me home all lonely and jealous and sober, haha.

It's so difficult with WINZ to get a definitive answer, every other person you ask seems to have a different answer, and neither the website or their pamphlets can give accurate figures.
Which is another positive to living at home when baby arrives and getting all the finances sorted, parents seem to understand a stand-down period or general uselessness more than a landlord does.

Your so lucky, my "friends" dont give a crap! They are like "just come out to town with us its ok!" or invite me to parties where they are just gonna be getting trashed or something..its like "im pregnant and not into that kinda thing anyway..." they never used to be like that ...only recently, started hanging out with other people and they got into the wrong crowds. I used to have an amazing friend from my church, who turned into one of the biggest drug addicts I know today. Was really sad :(

Yup, gonna try make an appointment for WINZ tomorrow. Hopefuly they can see me this week (doubt it). They can really stuff you around a lot!
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 8:44am
Im 29 and feel like ive done heaps so far too! Most of my friends are good, but some just dont understand that I cant just go out whenever I want. yes, I could get a baby sitter but I actually enjoy spending time with my son

I was talking to someone who went to WINZ this week and waited for 2.5 hours to then get told to come back tomorrow with certain documents!! They certainly dont make it easy. I

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 10:41am
^^ Thats the sort of crap that freaks me out about going to get a DPB for the unpaid part of maternity leave.....wtf am i supposed to do with a 5 week old baby while i wait 2.5hrs!? I figure if he starts screaming they might see me just to get rid of me.
cheekymouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekymouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 11:08am
You can ring WINZ and book and appointment to see them, that way you wouldn't hopefully have to wait 2.5 hours. When i ring WINZ i usually get an appointment within a week so if you plan ahead you should be ok :)

But in saying that i live in a smaller town so not sure if it is different if you live in a city :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 7:21pm
Sometimes you can have an appointment and still wait. I was lucky not to have to when I had my newborn but I've been with friends when they've waited ages..
If you try get a nice early appointment it's before all the walk ins come coz it them that make you wait.
julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 9:47pm

StephieG- I was in a simialr situation as you i was 23 and pregnant (25 now), i went through my whole pregnancy alone and at times it was really hard . Hang in there , you sound like you will make a great mumma . The benefits far out way the negatives .

.  have you asked WINZ about temporary aditional support ? im not too sure all the ins and outs of it but basically its a form of support to help you pay your rent if your situation changes , For example my cousin was living with her spouse and child and they were paying $310 a week rent ( in christchurch) , when they broke up she was allowed to stay in the house (and go on the full dpb) and winz coverd her rent with the temporary aditional support , She has stayed in that house since they broke up 3 years ago so i dont really know why they call it "temporary " she has basically been told that if she moves somewhere else she will have to find a house that is ALOT cheaper but because she is staying in that house that she originaly rented with her spouse at the time she can pretty much stay there and have the temporary aditional support until she decides to move .

Edited by julz85
Stephi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 12:28am
Originally posted by julz85 julz85 wrote:

StephieG- I was in a simialr situation as you i was 23 and pregnant (25 now), i went through my whole pregnancy alone and at times it was really hard . Hang in there , you sound like you will make a great mumma . The benefits far out way the negatives .

.  have you asked WINZ about temporary aditional support ? im not too sure all the ins and outs of it but basically its a form of support to help you pay your rent if your situation changes , For example my cousin was living with her spouse and child and they were paying $310 a week rent ( in christchurch) , when they broke up she was allowed to stay in the house (and go on the full dpb) and winz coverd her rent with the temporary aditional support , She has stayed in that house since they broke up 3 years ago so i dont really know why they call it "temporary " she has basically been told that if she moves somewhere else she will have to find a house that is ALOT cheaper but because she is staying in that house that she originaly rented with her spouse at the time she can pretty much stay there and have the temporary aditional support until she decides to move .

They told me I am only entitled to 40 dollars TAS :(
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 10:16am
I was 19 when I got pregnant with my daughter, me and her father had been together for, ooh maybe a few hours when she was concieved cos im preeeeetty sure I got pregnant on the first date (oooops )
We went out for 7 weeks, broke up, I told him I was pregnant,he freaked out, wanted me to terminate etc etc, 3 days later said he had decided he was going to support me and has ever since,he is a part of Caitlyn's life but my husband is more her dad in every way that counts than her bio dad could ever be....
I went through the pregnancy alone, apart from my parent's support but knowing what its like to go through pregnancy with a partner, its nowhere near the same,still at the time I was just consumed with excitement about baby so I didn't really notice.

But what you said in your first post, about you being the only one wanting to stay around for baby....life is not black and white, and as ideal as it might be, some parents really are better off apart, and its better for the baby to have two happy separate parents than two miserable ones together.
But even if it is just you who is excited etc, that is more than enough for baby, so long as he feels loved by someone, thats all that counts.

I know how hard single parenting is, I was a single parent for 5 years and I can honestly say its a lot easier with a partner,(well, a GOOD supportive partner ) but you will be able to do it, just take it one day at a time

Edited by TheKelly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>